The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
akbobcat

1967 C10 with small block stalls out after start

Hey Guys,

I tried to search other posts on here for a possible solution but the search option throws out an error each time. Anyway, the reason I'm on here tonight is that my 67' 283ci engine starts and then stalls out after a short bit. If I feather the throttle pedal to keep it going it runs until I let off. If I drive the truck it stalls at stop signs. The last known thing I did to this truck prior to tonight was filling the tank with 14 gallons of fuel. Thinking back it was the cheap grade and not my regular gas station as I was out of town.

I put in a bottle of Heet thinking maybe the fuel had some moisture or my tank had some in it. I checked my battery to rule out that it may not be getting enough energy to power the distributor. I got 13v on my meter. I've had this similar problem in the past with a Ford Probe and it turned out to be crappy fuel. It's been a very long time since I worked on cars myself and I've kinda forgotten what steps to take to figure this thing out. I appreciate your help on this.

Bob
akbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: 1967 C10 with small block stalls out after start

if it has a stock 4brl Quadrajet carb they have a fuel filter inside the carb body where the fuel line is

also if it has stock distributor with points checking the gap and dwell might help
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
akbobcat

I left out the details of this truck. It has a 283 with an HEI distributor, Edelbrock 1604 600 cfm carb w/electric choke, and stock plugs. I've ruled out the bad gas idea as of this morning. The strange thing is I can start the truck and keep it running as long as I keep the rpms up. The moment I let off the throttle it peters out and stalls.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
domeier

That sounds to me like the idle jets are plugged. It's a real easy carb to disassemble and clean. You can download the manual in pdf from edelbrock. Btw, I think it's probably a 1406, not 1604. I too, am dsylecix.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Ryan5O

It sounds similar to a problem I was having last week. All the sudden it started running rough and would stall out if I let off the gas. My first thought was that it was a fuel issue. Turns out it was just a loose plug wire. Hope your solution was as simple as mine. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
akbobcat

I ended up replacing the carb with a new one and it runs great again. The other one was left on a motor that was only ran 8 times in about 3 years so I'm thinking the internals were gummed up and/or dry rotted.