The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
mtruckr

deluxe heater... I think

On a '66 Suburban... we installed another 305 V6. It runs fine, it's a beater truck.

But the breather cap is now on the firewall end of the passenger side valve cover, and it can't be opened/removed because it's too close to the heater. (THINK ahead next time !)

Can anyone provide a basic idea of how to disassemble the heater so that I can trade valve covers and then put it back together? I have removed the heater top cover, but then run out of obvious nuts/bolts to remove. Looking in the passenger footwell generates blank stares...

Thanks-
mtruckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
dracko

Re: deluxe heater... I think

There should be a couple bolts in the passenger footwell that go through firewall and into the heater box.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Perhaps these pictures from the 1960 Accessories Installation Manual will help. The 1966 heater is somewhat different, but this should be close:

markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtruckr View Post
On a '66 Suburban... we installed another 305 V6. It runs fine, it's a beater truck.

But the breather cap is now on the firewall end of the passenger side valve cover, and it can't be opened/removed because it's too close to the heater. (THINK ahead next time !)

Can anyone provide a basic idea of how to disassemble the heater so that I can trade valve covers and then put it back together? I have removed the heater top cover, but then run out of obvious nuts/bolts to remove. Looking in the passenger footwell generates blank stares...

Thanks-
just take that valve cover and exchange it with the one on the other side. then your breather cap is on the other side. that is the way that it more than likely was on the eng that you took out. or put the valve covers off the old eng on.

was the eng that you put in ; an older motor say a 62; prior to pcv which also could be a reason for different breathing setup???????????
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If I remember correctly, there are 2 studs that go thru the firewall, that hold the heater box onto the firewall. Removing the glove box will give better access to them. They will be above the air duct that comes inside from the firewall. If course you will need to disconnect a cable, the wire to the fan, as well as the coolant hoses.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
padresag

sorry I misread it . you will see 2 about 1" holes in the firewall cover on the inside. in each hole will be either a 5/16 or 3/8 speed nut on a stud protruding inside those holes you will more than like;y may need a deep socket . those hold your heater onto the firewall along with all the other things mentioned
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote