The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Cannonball1

Best Way To Clean Out Tank

Any ideas for the best way to clean out a gas tank on a '71? We bought it after it had been sitting a while and it has that "smell" of old fuel. Any ideas?

Thanks
Cannonball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
hayhauler71

Re: Best Way To Clean Out Tank

I just did this 2 weeks ago

pull the tank out and put it on some saw horses and remove sending unit

drain out all the fuel

I added about 1/2 gallon castrol super clean and sloshed it around with a chain inside the tank

rinse out good with hot water

add 1/2 gallon muriatic acid and slosh around with chain in tank

rinse with hot water and then dry with snail fan blowing in filler neck

when dry add 1 quart acetone and slosh with chain

drain out acetone and dry with snail fan [careful acetone is extremely flammable]
Old 12-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Take it out. get as much of the gas out as you can, wash it out with a strong soap and water solution(slosh it around good), then take it to the car wash and use the pressure washer on it. Don't take it to the car wash until you have washed it with the soap solution... Bring it back home and dump as much of the water out as you can and put a couple of bottles of "Heat" in it to help get the moisture out. Let it dry for a day or two and put it back in... I would still use an inline filter if I was you.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
bollybib

If you want to spend a few bucks and end up with a well sealed inner surface, consider this POR system. It has been used by many for years with success. I was able to do it all at home and was very satisfied with the results.

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAI...ductinfo/FTRK/

This is the tank I did on my Vette in 2009. When I started off, the tank had been sitting unused for 14 years with a half tank of gas and was dirty, rusty, and gooey. This is how it looked when it was done. A chain might have helped clean the upper area better, but I didn't use one.
Name:  100_1053.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  67.5 KB

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
mtruckr

We removed the sending unit and cut off the gooey, syrupy filter sock on the end of the tube. Then we put compressed air on one end of the tube and blew a mucous plug out of it... sent it about 50 feet out into the yard !

Then we drained as much of the old gas as possible, filled with new fuel, added some Marvel Mystery Oil, put in a fuel filter, and away we go...
mtruckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Cannonball1

Some good suggestions. We'll have to pull it out and see what's in there and go from there. Hopefully the guy drained most of it before he parked it.

One more thing I just thought of...What holds the vent tube that runs up the passenger side rear pillar? It seems to rattle around a little. I'm thinking a piece of foam or something stuffed up there will keep it tight.
Cannonball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball1 View Post
Some good suggestions. We'll have to pull it out and see what's in there and go from there. Hopefully the guy drained most of it before he parked it.

One more thing I just thought of...What holds the vent tube that runs up the passenger side rear pillar? It seems to rattle around a little. I'm thinking a piece of foam or something stuffed up there will keep it tight.
that tube is wrapped in a cloth like material and gets hooked on a clip in the pillar also clamped to the cab near the tank
Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
57larry

take the tank to a metal cleaning business (Redi-Strip) or a machine shop's hot tank. after that pour a can of coating to seal it
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Depending on where you live, Larry57 suggestion might be the best way to go. Some neighborhoods frown on dumping gasoline or other chemicals on the ground and if a neighbor smells it or see you doing it, they may report it.

I'd check to see what it costs to have it done first. If it's cost prohibitive then the ideas given are all a good way to clean the tank. The important thing is to rinse it thoroughly and dry it completely.

One other thing, check the bottom carfully for rust pin holes. They're hard to see but may be detected by moisture or gas oozing out. If it has them, it's decision time. A new Spectra (what I did) or have it sealed professionally.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
cdowns

the tube that goes up into the passenger pillar is hooked up to a metal loop that is held in place by a 1/4"sheetmetal screw
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
68Gold/white

How bad is your tank to start with???

Another possible solution.
There are companies that do metal stripping. It's actually reverse plating. Anything rusty can be made to look like virgin metal again (has to be steel or iron).Tank has to be clean, though, to do this, no slime, or grime...
Check around...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote