The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Flowmaster tailpipes

I did my own exhaust system during the summer. Duals from manifolds back, no cats, thrush 2 chamber dumped before axle. Sounds nasty at WOT but at normal cruise speeds the resonance and drone inside the cab is annoying. I even angled the turn-downs so they wouldn't directly be pointing to the ground. It doesn't help.

I figure exhaust shops won't even touch my setup since I have no cats. Even though they would be working muffler back, I hear they still won't touch it.

Flowmaster has these specific tailpipes http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-15803/?rtype=10

Has anyone used them? My biggest concern is them clearing the axle since my truck is lowered with a flip kit.

Or, I guess I could run them out before the rear wheels but will they help any with the resonance? I guess it would since they would be pointed outside the truck instead of underneath.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
texasfunk

Re: Flowmaster tailpipes

Hmm, shouldnt be too hard to find a shop that will look the other way...especially if you have no smog..my 94 was done locally header back and didnt have cats...
Posted via Mobile Device
texasfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

tailpipes will direct sound and some resonance away from the cab, but the flowbastards will still beat your ears like a drum

for clearance you may just need to extend the down tubes from the bend to make it higher shouldnt be to difficult with some extra piping and some welding skills
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have an 84 SWB (Truck in my avatar) with a 383 stroker engine, headers and a 2 1/2" dual exhaust, with an "H" pipe installed just behind the tranny and I ran the pipes to the rear roll pan. The "H" pipe takes away a lot of harsh noise and helps on the low end torque. I used to run Flowmaster mufflers, but they rusted out and blew the sides open. Yes they do talk loud under heavy throttle, but the tailpipes to the rear takes the drone out of your ears.

I now run Magnaflow mufflers, but I still have the 2 1/2" pipies to the tail of the truck. It works great and you can drive all day long without a headache. (We did the 2010 Hot Rod Power Tour all the way to Mobile Alabama from Newton Iowa. 3000 miles without any hearing problems.

ALSO Just for giggles, get a piece of the grey foam pipe insulation that is used on water lines and push it down between your cab and the front of the truck bed. It also takes away some of the harsh noise in the cab and lasts a long time. Make sure it fits tight and use a broom stick to push it down to the bottom of the gap.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
379redneck

I had dual 2 1/2 flowmasters on mine that i rigged up and it was horrible inside the truck. It rattled and vibrated so bad you couldnt hear the radio. It all went away when I had the exhaust done by a shop. I had them dump it before the rear tires, it sounds great. They did mine with no cats without even askin about them.

87 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 350/TH350/NP203 Flow Tech long tube headers, throttle body spacer, Edelbrock Performer cam, true dual Flowmaster 40s, 6 inch Superlift suspension lift

2000 silverado extended cab stepside 5.3l. Stock for now
379redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
really?

Hey Chevymotocross, I just used the same tailpipes on my 78 stepside (6inch flip kit and 5 inch drop in the front). The tailpipes work well but you will need to do one modification to provide clearance from the frame notches. After the tailpipe leaves the muffler it will have about a 45 degree angle going up to the bed, you will need to cut the pipe and add about 3-4 inches, doing this will make the arch longer and give you better clearance if the rear end touches the C-notch snubbers. Make sure to also run an H-pipe so you get a cleaner sound (otherwise your only bangin each muffler off of 4 cylinders).
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

i had a muffler shop midas make these up for my 78 burb
at first just turn downs out of the mufflers,(dynomax turbos)
but couldn't talk,listen to the radio
went back and had the extra pipes put on,
world of difference
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote