The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
c1069

Question Who is using a Hydro-booster?

Please show some pics. I been thinking about this but I do not find any info. Thanks

69 c/10 step side 454/400 with 3.07
c1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

Re: Who is using a Hydro-booster?

I use one on my truck.
Attached Images

1968 Chevy SWB
ZZ383 W/700R4
Gen-II Compact Vintage Air System
PPG paint, Mandarin Copper and Vanilla Shake.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/fastom

Stupid should hurt and eventually become fatal!
fastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

My father uses it on his 1957 ford ranch wagon do to room problems.I've seen some people hate them things if you lose the power steering you loose the brakes.One other thing you lose the nygergen in that silver canister your focked. You ever stop a car or truck with wet drum brakes same thing its a dead stick.So it dose work but you best to stay on top of your truck never assume that your truck will get bike like your new truck dose.

One other peace of information you should know about using that type of equipment.If it dose go bad and you kill some one Negligence can be added to the charge sence your truck was not equip with it.Some states have stiffer laws.Customizes some times over look that law.So make sure you used new or good parts.I'm not one to get sued for everything i own
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

^ Uh...yeah,ok,right. Anyway...hyro-boost is an excellent system and works well on trucks of heavier capacity. I'm sure it will stop a pickup. It stops my heavy 1t diesel quite well. Diesels lack vacuum which is why they use it and gas motors with big cams is where you'll see conversions to it. I've never seen power steering go out all at once unexpectedly. It's neglectful to not check your belts and replace as needed.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
WAAF
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
^ Uh...yeah,ok,right. Anyway...hyro-boost is an excellent system and works well on trucks of heavier capacity. I'm sure it will stop a pickup. It stops my heavy 1t diesel quite well. Diesels lack vacuum which is why they use it and gas motors with big cams is where you'll see conversions to it. I've never seen power steering go out all at once unexpectedly. It's neglectful to not check your belts and replace as needed.
x2
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
pumpkin

I put it on my Blazer thats on 35's. Before the swap it just barely stopped, now it stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
schwoch1
Local Detroit diesel nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
My father uses it on his 1957 ford ranch wagon do to room problems.I've seen some people hate them things if you lose the power steering you loose the brakes.One other thing you lose the nygergen in that silver canister your focked. You ever stop a car or truck with wet drum brakes same thing its a dead stick.So it dose work but you best to stay on top of your truck never assume that your truck will get bike like your new truck dose.

One other peace of information you should know about using that type of equipment.If it dose go bad and you kill some one Negligence can be added to the charge sence your truck was not equip with it.Some states have stiffer laws.Customizes some times over look that law.So make sure you used new or good parts.I'm not one to get sued for everything i own
What?
I can almost make out what you said.... I suppose you are worried about the sky falling too

ANyways... I have used hydroboost on my '71 GMC for 3 years now and I will say that it was one of the best mods I have done to the truck to this day. Not too touchy, not too stiff pedal.... just right. The only thing I notice every once in a while is if you hit the brakes hard, you get a slight bump in the steering wheel, never lost assist, just gives a little bump every now and again!!!
I have had NUMEROUS vehicles with hydroboost over the years, starting with an '81 Buick LeSabre with a diesel and have never had any problems with losing brakes or steering. I am sure that if you blow a P/S belt, then you will lose both, but then it just reverts to manual steering and manual brakes, and if you can't stop a truck with them, you shouldn't be behind the wheel! I figure if the big 3 are installing hydroboost on a ton of vehicles new nowadays, it must be safe and alright!!!

Mike
Old 12-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post

So....everyone that has put disc brakes on a pre '71 truck is in the wrong too? I've used hydroboost on several cars I've built and will say they work ALOT better than a vacuum booster. I've been saved by my hydroboost in the past. If you lose power steering it goes.to manual and the cylinder you speak of holds some reserve so you get a few stops still boosted. Once its depleted it goes to manual and is no harder to stop than a bad vacuum booster.
Posted via Mobile Device
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
ls1nova71

My old blue '72.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
c1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
I put it on my Blazer thats on 35's. Before the swap it just barely stopped, now it stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
My old blue '72.

Posted via Mobile Device
Where do you get the mounting plate?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
c1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastom View Post
I use one on my truck.
Nice truck man.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

I have hydroboost on my truck, I would almost say they work too good. Brakes are a bit touchy

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1069 View Post

Where do you get the mounting plate?
That bracket is a modified 2003 Silverado. Pretty sure member Captainfab makes them though, might try PMing him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
c1069

Thanks ls1nova71