The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
yossarian19

V-8 swap Qs

So, the machine shop might be asking for more to rebuild the I-6 than it would cost to swap in a V-8. That being said, I've never done an engine swap of any kind before. I know about a lot of the various electronics issues I'd have if I wanted to go LSx, but what about a carb'ed 350?

What mounts / brackets are available off the shelf to drop a SBC in? No welding, if it can be avoided without serious compromise to quality / safety.

Radiator / radiator hoses?

Seems like anything with a mechanical fuel pump should be able to suck off of the existing tank system, no? Come to think of it, no idea about the typical fuel pump arrangement on old SBCs...

If there is a good FAQ or thread on the basics of getting the engine physically in place, directions to it would be awesome.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
OrrieG

Re: V-8 swap Qs

You didn't say if its a Ad or TF, mine is a TF. My thread shows a carbed 350 swap using the stock front mounts. Denee's thread documents here questions and thoughts, she ended up with side mounts that go to the frame. Other considerations are exhaust manifold/steering interference and type of transmission. If you stick with a carbed engine the stock fuel line will work fine, the 6 and V8 mechanical fuel pumps are in about the same location (good engineering on Chevys behalf). If you get a high horse power engine you might want to change the line from 1/4" to 3/8" but I have ran 283 - 300 hp 350 with smaller lines in my truck and 64 Chevelle. Since v8 was a factory option compartment is big enough for SBC, HEI distributor can be a tight fit depending on the engine mount you use. 6 radiator will work with the V8 but you have to get different hoses, my thread has the numbers you need.

If yours is a AD then you will just need to start looking at the build threads. It is a little more complicated especially the engine to tranny mount unless you change out the transmission too (and rear end unless you already have an open drive line).
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
yossarian19

It is a 57, which I beleive makes it a TF. I don't know much about these trucks, only started learning a month ago when the project came into my hands.
My understanding so far is that some time around the mid 50s the SBC started using side mounts that are standard until the LT1 & LS engines started. Those side mounts require a new cross member to be built in a task force truck. Going with an older SBC means you can use the four post style mounts that the I6 uses, I think?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Russell Ashley

Assuming that you have the correct bellhousing, Bolting a 350 into a TF is probably one the the easiest engine swaps going. It will bolt in using all stock mounts. One bit of advice I can give, from experience, is use stock valve covers from an 80's engine that have the slanted ends. This gives adequate clearance between the firewall and valve cover. The typical after-market square end valve covers will fit but were very close in my truck. Also, use a small distributor with external coil and it will clear the firewall with no problem. Otherwise it's just the typical things like running the fuel line, exhaust, and wiring. I think any SBC exhaust manifold will work on the right side but you might need a ram-horn type for the left side. If your original radiator was in good condition it will be adequate for a stock 350 from my experience.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
squirrely_1

what about an 1958 step side ,6 cyl 235I , 3 on the tree swap to a v8 ? I have a 1985 formula Firebird to use for a subframe , disc brakes and rear end if i need to ...I will not be able to keep the shifter on the column if i want a manual will i ? I was going to stay
6cyl but i know i will just break it...lol.. I like spinnin' tires...
squirrely_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
dmack91

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrely_1 View Post
what about an 1958 step side ,6 cyl 235I , 3 on the tree swap to a v8 ? I have a 1985 formula Firebird to use for a subframe , disc brakes and rear end if i need to ...I will not be able to keep the shifter on the column if i want a manual will i ? I was going to stay
6cyl but i know i will just break it...lol.. I like spinnin' tires...
I thought the post 84 firebird/camaro didn't use a subframe that was detachable?
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
squirrely_1

I was just gonna cut and weld?
squirrely_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
BigBlocksRule

Swap the IROC for a good subframe and get 'er done. It's a good swap and if done correctly, safe and strong. If you start hacking on the IROC subframe, you're liable to end up with problems with engine mounts, headers, steering, etc. Use a proven part, IMHO.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
mr48chev

With the truck you posted photos of in your intro it should be a bolt in installation with the right parts.

I'd go with a carburetored 350 for simplicity and lower cost.

You will need the truck bellhousing for a V8 and a set of front mounts for a V8 along with a V8 flywheel and starter.
There are a few little things like changing the throttle linkage but outside of building the exhaust there should be no welding and the radiator should handle a mild V8 if it is in good shape.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote