The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
SBTork
Garage wrench

I'm stuck and need help!

I have the air bags installed on my suburban and have a manual paddle valve set-up from Boris @ street machinery. Where I am stuck is how to run my lines, mainly from bags-to-valves-to-tank. I don't want to drill a whole bunch of holes in my 'burb, but I think that's unavoidable now. Can I use "t"s somewhere to reduce the number of holes needed in the body? Does anyone have any pics of their set-up, mainly air lines from frame to cab. I am looking for any ideas I can get and use or modify. I have air ride writers block, so to speak. Here are some pics of the paddle valve setup I have...

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....

Last edited by SBTork; 12-13-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
skidpan

Re: I'm stuck and need help!

You can run one main line from tank into the cab for your air source, but you will have to run a line for each bag you want to control. So with 4 bags and control of each, you have to have a min of 5 air lines.
Posted via Mobile Device
skidpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the bottom lines that are t'd to each other are connected to the tank and the ones that aren't t'd go directly to each bag. I believe the dump is internal so there's no lines to connect a dump to.

So for actual plumbing, skid pad is right. Plumb 1 line from the tank into the cab and T that line to the bottom 2 gauges. Then plum 1 line from the rest of the fittings to a bag. I plumbed my gauges so the left gauge is the front 2 bags, Black Needle Left and Red Needle Right, and did the same to the right gauge for the rears. This means you'll have 5 lines running into your cab, so 5 holes in the cab...be sure to use grommets!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
SBTork
Garage wrench

thanks for the replies guys, I have a better handle on it now.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
broey
Square

hurry up and post pics of the burb layed out!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
SBTork
Garage wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey View Post
hurry up and post pics of the burb layed out!
on it....thanks!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the bottom lines that are t'd to each other are connected to the tank and the ones that aren't t'd go directly to each bag. I believe the dump is internal so there's no lines to connect a dump to.

So for actual plumbing, skid pad is right. Plumb 1 line from the tank into the cab and T that line to the bottom 2 gauges. Then plum 1 line from the rest of the fittings to a bag. I plumbed my gauges so the left gauge is the front 2 bags, Black Needle Left and Red Needle Right, and did the same to the right gauge for the rears. This means you'll have 5 lines running into your cab, so 5 holes in the cab...be sure to use grommets!

I did a 2-corner manual/paddle valve set-up in my 68 Bronze-Beater (cause I'm 'frugal') using 1/4" DOT airlines through a firewall grommet in the floorpan. I found a pre-existing hole on the floorpan that was shielded from external splashing in wet weather conditions & w/room to enlarge. This required a slightly larger hole but it's an automotive spec'd firewall grommet for sealing lines internally/externally. It kept the airlines sealed, safe from chafing, & bundled in close proximity. I ran 1-line in (the tank to switch air supply) & 2-lines out for the paddle switches to bags.

For my project Recycle, I'm doing the same set-up x2 so there will be 1-plug/grommet for each side (2 separate tanks/comps each controlling the L or R side).
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote