The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
95Econobox

1970 C10 "Ole Slippery"

Whats up everybody, new to the forum here so i thought i would introduce myself and my truck.

Back in 1971 my great grandfather bought this truck for himself as a retirement present. Turned out he had to work a couple more years to pay it off lol but after a while he wasn't able to drive it so my grandfather took over. he drove it for years and eventually my father got it. he ran a business out of it for a number of years and then it was parked and left sitting for about 7-8 years.

Now this truck was the first thing i ever drove, granted it was down the block to "turn the truck around" and so on when granddad was fooling about in the yard but still. I also drove it for a while right after i first got my license 14 years ago. I waited 14 years to get my paws on this truck. watching it sit for the last 7 has pained me to say the least. Being able to bring this old girl back to life means the world to me and this truck is by far my most prized possession.

This is my truck. There are many like it. But this one is mine.

Long bed, 4 bolt 350, TH350 trans, 12 bolt rear with 3.73 open diff. standard plane jane work truck, ac and radio delete i think.

Poor girl needs a new truck honestly lol. Shes not numbers matching anymore, and thanks to a drunk chick shes got a salvaged title and some custom body work there done to the bed. Shes got rust in all the right places, rockers, roof of the cab, floor boards and the end of the bed are all showing natures weight reduction at work. I definitely have my work cut out for me but im up for the challenge.

Plans for now include rust repair to the point where its road worthy and legal. After that i hope to get the truck wired up properly and get rid of the glass fuses. Im pretty set on a LS style motor swap with the 6.0 or lq4 in mind but my wallet tells me 4.8. we will see what kind of shape my budget is in after the 1st of the years.

Cheers everybody, thanks for reading.
95Econobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
67c10rustbuket

Re: 1970 C10 "Ole Slippery"

Thats cool to get to build the truck you learned to drive in! I learned to drive in an Oldsmobile, puke! dont want that thing back.
Theres a few LS motor installs on here and man thats a nice swap. i know theres a few frame mods (one is clearing the AC comp to frame rail) and special motor mounts for for the LS to fit in these trucks, also ive heard the stock truck exhaust manifolds wont fit so you have to use headers made for this swap, another guy said camaro exh manifolds fit nicely on a 4.8/5.3 truck motor in these trucks. looks like an expensive swap to me but well worth it! good luck man and keep the pics coming, later.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
95Econobox

Re: 1970 C10 "Ole Slippery"

I hope to put this together rather cheap. the 350 that's in there im going to try and salvage but its been sitting for 7-8 years and half of that time it didn't even have an air filter over the carb, just sitting there wide open. I know it had at least one burnt valve and cracked exhaust mani's not to mention the carb leaks like a champ and the points are shot.

Ive got an edlebrock RPM manifold with a holley 600 on it in my garage sitting next to a HEI dizzy so i might toss em in change fluids and see what she does. If she runs i might rock it until i piece together the rest of the swap. i think i might just build my own manifolds after the 4.8 is dropped in because i really want to boost the truck. we will see what my wallet lets me do lol.
95Econobox is offline   Reply With Quote