The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
brawley
Easy Does It

Do you have to slam your doors ??

Is it just me or do you need to slam the doors on these trucks to get them to close?? both my 63' and the 65' I have to slam the doors pretty hard to get them to close tight, im assuming this is normal?? Is there any way to adjust these doors or a diffrent latch system to use on these trucks so that they close better ?? It seems like the more I try to adjust the worse off they get any pointers ?? thanks
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
theastronaut

Re: Do you have to slam your doors ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawley View Post
Is it just me or do you need to slam the doors on these trucks to get them to close?? both my 63' and the 65' I have to slam the doors pretty hard to get them to close tight, im assuming this is normal?? Is there any way to adjust these doors or a diffrent latch system to use on these trucks so that they close better ?? It seems like the more I try to adjust the worse off they get any pointers ?? thanks
How new are the door seals? Have you tried rolling the window down slightly to see if that helps? On the '65 I restored, between the new seals and the air pressure in the cab the doors were extremely hard to close at first. Once the door seals settled in, and with the window slighlty cracked, they were easier to close. Of course, if your floors are "ventilated" this doesn't apply.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
jonathan-m

I put new seals on the driver side door,and I've had to slam it ever since (been a couple of years now). The passenger side has the OG rubber and it closes with no slamming.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Woogeroo

Wink Re: Do you have to slam your doors ??

The door pins and bushings on the hinges are probably worn out.

With the door open, pull up gently on the handle... if you feel some slight wiggle there, that is most likely the issue. It makes the doors droop a bit and it doesn't quite line up with the striker on the door post.

I have to replace the ones on my '65 c10. I'm not sure how that is supposed to happen yet.

You can buy replacements from the parts store or online from vendors if you want to pay shipping.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Leadfoot Lambert

Mine close nice, no slamming, my hinges are nice and tight and I spent the better part of a day cleaning welding worn parts lubing and adjusting everything, but the results were worth it, it can be done!
Posted via Mobile Device
94 Fatboy
11 Softail Deluxe [wife's bike]
13 Streetglide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMFMw...eature=mh_lolz
Leadfoot Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
cb1965

try adjusting the stricker. has worked for me in the past.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

When we first got our truck the doors worked perfectly, almost like a new truck. When repainted back in 1998 new seals were installed and the latches had to be opened up quite a bit to get the doors to close at all. Eventually it got better, but never returned to the OEM fit because none of the aftermarket seals are the same shape as what the factory supplied (I kept a small piece to compare the shape).

The incompetent clod that installed my rockers pulled the doors and completed fouled up the alignment. It took days of effort and numerous adjustments to finally get the driver side nearly perfect. I never could restore the fit of the right door. After a couple of years I got fed up with the passenger side not working correctly and analyzed it again. Since adjusting the latch up, down, in and out made no improvement, I determined (guessed) the lower front corner of the door might be out a tad too far. Pulling it in by adjusting the lower hinge tilted the door enough to make the latch work correctly. Now with the windows down they close like a new car with very little effort. With the windows up it requires only slightly more effort. Nice adjustment can be achieved, but there is so little adjustment in the latch, and the jamb is made up of so many pieces that may not be assembled correctly, it’s hard to know what to do to correct whatever is wrong.

Although mine work fine now, if I had welding skills I’d install Bear Claw latches instead.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

adjusting one of these doors can be real tedious. it can require loosening the hinges (which requires removing the cowl extension and loosening the bottom of the fender) as well as the striker and latch. there are adjustments in and out at top and bottom, as well as up and down and fore and aft. it helps to use a floor jack to support the door while playing around. hinges have to be tight on the pins or don't bother.

I have new rubber around mine but don't have the "air tight" problem as my floors are well ventilated. My passenger side door closes perfectly, the driver's side still needs work but is pretty good. Got tired of playing
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
chopped65

my doors worked effortlessly since I bought the truck sitting in a field for 20+ years, they could gently be closed with your pinky and you would here click then click again. That was all factory hardware. Now I have suicide doors with aftermarket latches and still trying to get the doors to latch the same way they once did. Good luck with the adjustments, white lithium grease is your friend and brake cleaner
Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Gianyveedub

To the original post. I have a 63 as well and the drivers door does take quite a bit of effort. The passenger door on the other hand closes like a dream, almost one finger could close it. I think it might be due to the fact that no one ever uses my passenger door. I use the drivers door all the time and the alignment is probably off.
Gianyveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

my left and right door each work differently. Both need a little encouragement to close. Once I finish my floors and do the cab seals I'm hoping I can have it rectified.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
doobiebro

I feel your pain also..... When I brought the truck home for the first time both doors closed perfect. After going through a complete truck build with different doors, paint and body work, new hinge bushings, and new door seals I have to slam them doors. I spend many days adjusting strikers, and latches I just left it alone. After installing all the new seals my doors don't sit flush with the cab at the bottom.....
66 GMC Long bed fleet side 305 V-6
77 C-20 Custom Deluxe (Blue Goose)
doobiebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
brawley
Easy Does It

they have new seals, the 63' has been completly dissasambled and put back together, its been a pain in the _ss to get things aligned correctly.. i guess its just something i'll have to keep working on, I got it pretty good but it still needs work and now im scared to do anything or I might mess it back up
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #14
C-10cutty

To help with re-alignment of doors I drill a hole the size of a nail through each hinge prior to removal and use a nail to line them back up upon mounting. Same with the hood.
C-10cutty is offline   Reply With Quote