The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
KVB

What to do, What to do.

A little background

I have had my truck for a year now. It is a 1965 GMC short wideside, with leaf suspension in the rear and a 230 6 cylinder with a four speed transmission. In the past year, I have most of my time following different builds on this site as well as others. Researching the truck, checking vin numbers and collecting various manuals, documents and books. Gathering parts for the repairs required.

My idea for this truck is to have a daily driver, that I can use to haul a camper, or go get some dirt for landscaping, make a run to the hardware store for 2x4’s and plywood. Pull a motorcycle trailer.

I am mechanically inclined. I have a good range of tools and am in the process of equipping myself with more. I am able to borrow some tools, such as mig welder, engine crane.

I have redone the brakes, replaced the shoes, hold down kits, all four slave cylinders, have run new brake lines, reusing the old tees, will turn the drums last. I have replaced the rear end seals. Changed all oils. Have gotten the motor running. I have taken apart the bed in the box, gotten new Southern Yellow pine and ordered new steel bed strips for it.

I realize that I have a ways to go to get things done. Since the truck is from California, and I live in Quebec, the motor vehicle people require that the truck be inspected. The requirements as I can best tell are that all mechanical & safety equipment works. They are not too worried about the look of the vehicle, so paint and even some rust is not an issue.

The questions

My problem is getting after the body work. I am unclear as to how to proceed here. I realize you begin by removing what is there to see the state of affairs, so sandblasting is required, but not on the exterior as it will stretch the metal. Once the metal has been blasted, it needs to be protected. Do sandblasting companies do this, or am I better off going to a body shop and having them sandblasting, protect and repair. What do you blast it with. I have a smalll handheld self contained blaster, can I do it with this and lots of patiences?

I have holes in the cab floor, right where the floor bends up to the firewall. Is this just a simple patch job, or do I need to replace the floor panel, right & left. Do the rockers need to be replaced, there is an inner & an outer right? There is some rust around the windshield on the upper side, needs cutting & welding. I need a new windshield. Is that difficult to install?

If I get the truck into primer, how long can it be exposed to the elements that way before it needs to be painted. I am looking for a good paint job, not showtime paint job. I am thinking of White (original), Yellow or teal. Are there any special preperations that I need to take into consideration?

Are replacing rockers and patch panels within the realm of newbies? I plan on taking a 15 hour Mig welding course at the local tech school.

I have attached a couple of pics to give you an idea of the situation.

Thanks for any comments

Ken
Attached Images

KVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
krazy_texan

Re: What to do, What to do.

you shouldnt need to replace the whole floor pan for those floors my 65 is far worse than that but then again it is in Iowa. Its hard to say about your rocker cab corners, or cab supports (those usually all go hand in hand) since you didnt post pics of the rockers. as far as that is all concerned the way i look at things is ya sure even a novice can do rockers and cab floors just do some research on it go talk to a good body guy and for God sake take your time doing it. It really just boils down to if you have the cahones to try it your self or not
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy_texan View Post
It really just boils down to if you have the cahones to try it your self or not
This is how I sum up all my projects. Well said.

I like your approach to safety items first. On an old rig, I like to update when possible and since these trucks are simple, upgrades are easy to do. Like a power dual master cylinder, power steering, etc.

I know when I first got my '69 and had a wheel bearing burn out, my weekend fix ended up taking a month and included drop spindle discs, power brakes, and power steering upgrades. then before I bolted everything together I ended up bagging it

So much for the wheel bearing.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
krazy_texan

that sounds like the leaking wheel seal on the rearend of my truck what turned into a simple brake job and seal replacement turned into a 4 month long frame rebuild with new rear end and brakes all around. lol
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Sold off your 62 Panel Ken?

http://www.sodablastquebec.ca/en/contact-us/ They are next to a body shop that will primer or paint the surface after blasting.

You might want to talk to Jim at Canton, they now sell paint and supplies.

They also sell steel repair panels from Cross Canada which was bought out by Keystone.

Last edited by aerotruk63; 12-12-2011 at 08:47 PM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
KVB

Thanks Guys.

I figgered that I wanted the truck to stop before it rolls, so brakes first.

I have attached a couple of pics of the rockers. They seem pretty solid, it is only a small portion that is rotten, but I guess I should replace the whole piece.

Looking at the LMC catalog, on page 17, Item 6, does that include the inner rocker, or do I have buy the inner rocker as well.

The cab corners are solid, the cob mounts are solid, although someone told me the hole could be wore out or oval shaped.

Aerotruck: Thanks for that, but I am looking for someone on the south shore. Are you back in montreal now, or still on the road?

I never had a 62.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
aerotruk63

Leaving for Edmonton Ab. today to pick up a new company truck. Going to pick up a BBW panel near Winnepeg Mb. I'll drop in at the scrapyard in Elfros Sk.as well as the yard in Dryden On. On the way back I'm getting some aluminum sheets outside of Toronto for the Airstream. Hopefully meet up with member 63sbssbbw while going through Lloydminster Sk.. I'll be going by Bill's Truck Shop in Courtice On. if you want anything transported from there.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
63sbssbbw
UCA63

HEY HEY HEY now....Lloydminster ALBERTA...LOL
As long as you don't call me a Rider fan it's all good.
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
1963c-10

Looks like you'll need foward floor pans, inner and outer rockers. Hard to tell from pics, but door bottoms look pretty solid...how about the door pillers. These are some more common spots that like to rust. Also check over top of the winshield, lower front fenders and front/sides of hood.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
aerotruk63

What's with the seat brackets? Drivers side is fixed but tilts forward? Passenger side adjusts?

This guys from Blainville,Quebec. 1965 GMC Burb he found in Lachute. I got him some rear seats from Bill's and some original parts books and advertisements off Ebay.

Last edited by aerotruk63; 12-16-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
KVB

The p.o. put in buckets seats. I have since removed the brackets.

Ken