The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
BigCountryx

Rust around windshield

Found a solid blazer with the only rust to speak of being around the windshield. It's not terrible, but it's there along the top of the windshield. How worried should I be? I'm happy with everything else.
Posted via Mobile Device
BigCountryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Bentblazer

Re: Rust around windshield

Might want to post some pics, Is it surface rust or does it go through? Windshield frame is one of the more difficult areas, if bad enough you'll have to find a donor frame. They are on here for sale, but can be pricey
1930 Chevy two door rat
Bentblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
rsavage

If the windshield frame is rotted there is a chance that the dogleg(s) below are also as the water runs down the frame to the dogleg area. Check the floor where the kickboard meets it and below the lower door hinge. There is a triangular weatherstrip (it actually is the start of the doorframe weatherstrip) that is screwed to the top corners of the windshield frame by three 1/4 -20 screws. Very common to be completely rotted under this area even on very otherwise solid Blazers. Windshield frames are not reproduced and are different from pickups and Burbs.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
BLUE THUNDER

90% of our rigs have rust around the windshield. Easy fix. Post some pics.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
BigCountryx

These are the only pics I got. Didn't get any pics of the rust peeking out from windshield trim. It seemed minor from what I could tell but I'm sure it would look worse once the windshield was pulled. The PO used gobs of body filler over the windshield and it's chipping away as u can see. Looks like the trowel they used was too big and they just drug flat across instead of following the factory curvature. I can deal with what I can see, but just worried if this is indicative of much worse damage.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
cleszkie

Not to burst your bubble, but that rust looks pretty bad to me. When rust appears on one of these frames in that location, it means that it has already eaten its way from the inside out, and that there is a lot more rust inside working its way to the outside. If you have more rust appearing around the window seal on the outside, this only confirms it. The fact that the previous owner "fixed" it by covering it with bondo, only made the situation worse by holding in more water. That is why the metal is rusted under the filler. I'm sure it was relatively rust free when the filler was first globbed on there.

I suggest removing all of the body filler to get a real idea of the damage before deciding to repair or replace. As stated by others, winshield frames of varying quality appear in the classifieds from time to time. Prices usually range from about $100 to $400, but can be higher for really cherry pieces. I recently sold a rust free frame for $350. Good Luck.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
BigCountryx

No bubbles Bursted here. I knew there was an issue, just wasn't sure what repair options were out there. This thing is local, original 2wd and virtually rust free other than this (that I can tell). I'm just trying to Gauge whether this was worth abandoning the purchase or not. The other rust I can see is a couple more small spots by the windshield molding on the inside. I haven't seen any on the outside. Thanks for the input, it's appreciated I assure you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
69TowRig

Mine was a south TX truck for most all it's life, the seal for top shrunk at the windshield and let tons of water soak in and rot the frame all along the top like that. I bought another frame off a northern truck (go figure) and one of these days I will cut it apart and fix it.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote