The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
socalkevin68

Question Need advice B4 I take a ride on new rallys

Hi guys..dumb question i guess..but really would ease my mind b4 i take a ride with my new Rally rims on..
I have a 68 c10....has 6 lugs all the way around..I bought 4 new rally steel wheels 6 lug...and noticed the p/o had put on 1/2 lug studs..(suppose to have 7/16 i think)....Anyhow..the rims go on ok..and the lug nuts seems to snug down nice and even and tight...
I'm just a little nervous because its suppose to have the 7/16" studs on it.
Is this safe...is this ok.......can i take a ride without worrying about it...
thx in adv......
socalkevin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Need advice B4 I take a ride on new rallys

I thought 1/2" studs were standard... but I could be mistaken.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
socalkevin68

according to all the parts stores here they say 7/16 studs so i'm really confused...never ran into this b4..i just hope the ra;llys i spent all my money on will work on these studs...cuz if not im gona have to swap hubs and rear axles to get the 7/16 to fit again
Old 12-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I just measured the studs in my truck. I just happen to have the rear end yarded out of it. The studs are all original, from the factory... 1972 GMC C1500 Super Custom. They all measure 0.5000" (1/2") with a micrometer.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Bert W

I would think as long as the angle of the lugnut and the angle of the lug hole match up, center the wheel, and also tighten the wheel (rim), the stud size doesn't matter. I am no engineer though. Of course you have to have the right size lugnut for the stud. Oh Yeah! my six lug 15X8 rallys are mounted on my stock 68 C10 and work great!

Bert W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
black_sheep454

6 lug trucks have 7/16 studs, 5 lug trucks have 1/2. If your wheels go on and the lugnuts seat down good it should be fine. Just drive it a bit an check them with a torque wrench.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

You should be fine... Yes, 71 and later with 5 studs were 1/2 but the earlier years with 6 lugs were 7/16.
specialtyretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
socalkevin68

thx you guys..I appreciate the input..and I think i fixed it...
Ok here is what happened..the previous owner installed larger diamter lug studs on all 4 wheels....they were not however 1/2 20's like i though..they were some kind of metric size...well i didnt want the metrics on there so i got some 1/2 diam studs for a 72 chevy and they worked fine for the fronts...perfect...but the rears are a diff story....
The p/o obviously drilled out the front hubs and rear axles so that the bigger size knurl would fit with the new metric stud....well he drilled it bigger so i cant use the origianl 7/16......
the 1/2 fit perfect on front..but not the rear....the knurl(shank ??) is way too long and the wheel wouldnt bolt up cuz the lug nut wouldnt bottom...so i got a dorman catalog and looked thru it and found the same size knurl as the fronts (so they'd fit corect in the hole) and the right size shank length so it wouldnt interfere with wheel seating properly......i get the studs i ordered tomorrow so ill see if they will work for rear...
this is a royal pain in the you know what...I really wish the p/o would have left it alone stock 7/16.....would have made my life much easier.....this is the 4th or 5th day of me messing with it...I got my rallys a week ago and was so anxious to install them...been quite an experience....but it all goes well i'll have all the rallys mountd up with matching 1/2 x20 studs and takin a cruise b4 xmas day!