The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
bpr

best replacement coil springs ??

New to forum. Got a 66 fleetside that has had a lot of heavy loads hauled. Springs are shot. What are best replacement coils to go with?

I've been looking at Moog from O'Reilly's. Don't know whether to go with the constant rate or variable rate for the rear??????

I don't want to lower it so that isn't an option for me.

Thanks
bpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
yelmer

Re: best replacement coil springs ??

If you want it with original springs . Junkyard is the best bet . If you want after market there are many options . The originals were a special spring variable rate and look different from the aftermarket
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
SS317

I think Moog is with both O'Reilly's, Autozone, and NAPA, from my searches. I haven't had much luck with junkyard springs and actually had one break.

I just added air shocks for the rear to help with my hauling, and decided to go with air bags instead of original springs. I'm still waiting to figure out which air bags but in my past experience I love air bags. I use my truck to pull my mowing and fertilizer rigs and figured it's worth the extra money for the bags if I'm going to haul with it.
SS317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
lil_sahara450r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS317 View Post
I think Moog is with both O'Reilly's, Autozone, and NAPA, from my searches. I haven't had much luck with junkyard springs and actually had one break.

I just added air shocks for the rear to help with my hauling, and decided to go with air bags instead of original springs. I'm still waiting to figure out which air bags but in my past experience I love air bags. I use my truck to pull my mowing and fertilizer rigs and figured it's worth the extra money for the bags if I'm going to haul with it.
actually... if you get a common air bag ( i use the dominator 2600 bags), and just bolt them in place of the coils, it is cheaper to do than most aftermarket springs
lil_sahara450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Rear springs are Moog CC603 which is their "Cargo Coil" progressive rate spring. They work great when hauling but act like a normal spring when empty. I have these in the rear of my '65 C10 longbed.

Don't forget to replace the shocks too.... it makes a difference in the ride.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Before buying aftermarket springs you might want to ask the supplier the diameter of the wire, and compare that to your originals. Back around 1998 I bought “stock” replacement coils for the rear, and what arrived were progressive springs with wire over 1/8” larger in diameter. They we so stiff they didn’t bounce at all, making for a back breaking ride I couldn’t tolerate. I ended up reinstalling the worn out originals for the next several years. There are other variables to spring rate besides wire diameter, but if it's huge you can bet they are going to be unpleasant when the bed is empty.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_sahara450r View Post
actually... if you get a common air bag ( i use the dominator 2600 bags), and just bolt them in place of the coils, it is cheaper to do than most aftermarket springs
Thanks for this post.

I've been considering this route.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
lil_sahara450r

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Thanks for this post.

I've been considering this route.
Posted via Mobile Device
no problem, if you are considering going this route all you have to do is drill a few new holes for the bag mounts and air fitting and run air lines wherever you want, then just use schrader valves to adjust the pressure and ride height. super easy and economical.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Max1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_sahara450r View Post
no problem, if you are considering going this route all you have to do is drill a few new holes for the bag mounts and air fitting and run air lines wherever you want, then just use schrader valves to adjust the pressure and ride height. super easy and economical.
I've never owned a "bagged" truck except in addition to coils. How does the ride with just bags compare to coil springs? I have a 66 also in desperate need of suspension help...
Max1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
bpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelmer View Post
If you want it with original springs . Junkyard is the best bet . If you want after market there are many options . The originals were a special spring variable rate and look different from the aftermarket
I really don't want to go with 40+ year old junkyard springs. Springs sag over time even if they haven't carried large loads.

Good point about diameter.
CC603 Variable Rate are 0.812"
6101 Constant Rate are 0.765"
Stock are ~0.70 - 0.72 ish
Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
lil_sahara450r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1775 View Post
I've never owned a "bagged" truck except in addition to coils. How does the ride with just bags compare to coil springs? I have a 66 also in desperate need of suspension help...
wish i could tell ya lol! im in the middle of getting my rear suspension, frame, and bed done. i installed a c notch kit, lowering blocks, and adjustable panhard bar. if you arent looking to lower than all you would need is a couple bags of your choice (most popular around here i believe are the RE7 slams or dominator 2600's), id say about 20 feet of 1/4" air line to be on the safe side, and the few fittings needed to connect it all. contact avsjason or way2lo here on the site and they will hook you up big time and answer any quesions you might have. thats where i went
Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
yelmer

i was saying if you want original new the cannot be found . aftermarket is the only way to go then if you want new and not original
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1775 View Post
Bags have a great ride; period! I think all my old trucks have a great ride but I also factor in the new shocks I use with both air and coils. I always use a performance shock with upgraded valving.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
bpr

ok. Has anyone put rear aftermarket REPLACEMENT springs on their truck? If so variable rate or constant rate? And your opinions.

Getting ready to pull the trigger and would like some feedback. PLease no bag discussion or lowering options.

Thanks everyone.

Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpr View Post
ok. Has anyone put rear aftermarket REPLACEMENT springs on their truck? If so variable rate or constant rate? And your opinions.

Getting ready to pull the trigger and would like some feedback. PLease no bag discussion or lowering options.

Thanks everyone.

Merry Christmas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
Rear springs are Moog CC603 which is their "Cargo Coil" progressive rate spring. They work great when hauling but act like a normal spring when empty. I have these in the rear of my '65 C10 longbed.

Don't forget to replace the shocks too.... it makes a difference in the ride.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
bpr

thanks. BOHarley. So in your opinion ride isn't too stiff unloaded. Good info. I was leaning toward the CC603 but was afraid they would be really stiff and provide a harsh ride unloaded.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #17
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Correct... I think a lot of it comes down to what tires you're running as well (regarding sidewall height).

I have 31x10.50R15's and unloaded I run them at about 35psi and then bump them up to a max of 50psi if really loaded.

The Moog Cargo coils work like a regular spring until you load them. For a non lowered truck that is used as a truck was intended they are fine.

Don't forget a quality shock and properly balanced & inflated tires will affect ride quality tremendously.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpr View Post

Thanks everyone.

Merry Christmas!!
I have 40+ yr old originals you can have, I pulled off my 65 Suburban, if you are interested.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
bpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
Correct... I think a lot of it comes down to what tires you're running as well (regarding sidewall height).

I have 31x10.50R15's and unloaded I run them at about 35psi and then bump them up to a max of 50psi if really loaded.

The Moog Cargo coils work like a regular spring until you load them. For a non lowered truck that is used as a truck was intended they are fine.

Don't forget a quality shock and properly balanced & inflated tires will affect ride quality tremendously.
I think I'll probably go with the CC603 VR springs then. What shock are you running with them?
I have 30x9.50x15s so very similar to your setup.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #20
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

I run Gabriel shocks.... My mother was one of the largest Monroe distributors on the west coast and I hated them! The Gabriels are a better shock in my opinion, Monroes are just marketed better.

You can get them off of Ebay cheaper than most discount auto parts stores. Autozone shocks are reboxed Gabriels and they use the Gabriel part number.

The part numbers are;

G63355 front
G63306 rear