The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
James75

69-70 with 88-newer suspension

Hello, this is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right.
I've been reading everyones threads for a while, and I have to say there is a wealth of knowledge in here! I'm starting on a project for my daughter, it's a 70 1/2 ton short wide. On planing this out I've decided to update the drivetrain/ suspension. Plan on using a later 350/700r4 combo but the problem is I'm wanting to use the suspension from the same truck. From what I've read this limits me to an 87 and older. Is there a reason no one is using the 88 and newer suspension components? I've searched all over and can't find any discussions about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
James75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: 69-70 with 88-newer suspension

Welcome to the forum James75. It sounds like you have done your research and found that a donor truck is an economical way to gather contemporary parts for your project. The front suspension on these trucks was well designed, so GM used it from the early 60 all the way to 87 for trucks and 91 on Burbs. The biggest change made along the way was the addition of disc brakes.

There have been some use of the 88+ suspension but its much more involved than just a bolt in deal. Your best bet is to update your 70 suspension parts with readily available 73-87 components.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
James75

Smile Re: 69-70 with 88-newer suspension

Thanks for the reply! That helps me narrow down my search for a donor vehicle. Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Burbs are a great source for donors. There were a gazillion of them sold in the late 80's and they are pretty cheap these days. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 12-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Smile Re: 69-70 with 88-newer suspension

I like to save you some time and of whereing your tires out.I can save you over 1000.00

1# First off that 1967--72 truck front ends are a blessing in disguise.Meaning that hole front end can be token apart and rebuilt at your house No special tools and the parts are really cheap.

all of your A arm bushing are all screw in in stead of pressed in.I like the 1967--72 front ends.

2# do not take apart that front end if you do not have a alinement problem don't touch that front cradle.Unless you like taki8ng this truck in to have the alinement done and chewing up good tires.

the 1967--72 chevy or Gmc truck front ends are really good front ends they make all the repop parts and use Rubber bushing instead of the polyurethane bushing that like to squeak.

Trust me GM did there home work on them 1967--72 front ends and use Moog front end parts

3# buy a set of disc brake spindles and put new ball joints in from Moog and the it will have disc brakes Why in the world do you want to re invent the wheel

The other reason why you can't use the 1988 front end Look where the steering box is Yikes its on the other side of the frame that is why most people don't use that set up

If your going that way I say go the whole nine yards and put a Corvette front end in and rear end and you will have a truck that will ride the rails and even Kill your daughter.

One thing i have to ask and i'm being nice about it. Don't give your kid a rocket ship.I've berried 3 fiends kids so fare cus there parents over did there first car or truck let her learn to crawl before she walks.I can't stress it enough A car or a truck is not a toy.

Sorry to be dramatic But i want you and your daughter to live a long happy life.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
I like to save you some time and of whereing your tires out.I can save you over 1000.00

1# First off that 1967--72 truck front ends are a blessing in disguise.Meaning that hole front end can be token apart and rebuilt at your house No special tools and the parts are really cheap.

all of your A arm bushing are all screw in in stead of pressed in.I like the 1967--72 front ends.

2# do not take apart that front end if you do not have a alinement problem don't touch that front cradle.Unless you like taki8ng this truck in to have the alinement done and chewing up good tires.

the 1967--72 chevy or Gmc truck front ends are really good front ends they make all the repop parts and use Rubber bushing instead of the polyurethane bushing that like to squeak.

Trust me GM did there home work on them 1967--72 front ends and use Moog front end parts

3# buy a set of disc brake spindles and put new ball joints in from Moog and the it will have disc brakes Why in the world do you want to re invent the wheel

The other reason why you can't use the 1988 front end Look where the steering box is Yikes its on the other side of the frame that is why most people don't use that set up

If your going that way I say go the whole nine yards and put a Corvette front end in and rear end and you will have a truck that will ride the rails and even Kill your daughter.

One thing i have to ask and i'm being nice about it. Don't give your kid a rocket ship.I've berried 3 fiends kids so fare cus there parents over did there first car or truck let her learn to crawl before she walks.I can't stress it enough A car or a truck is not a toy.

Sorry to be dramatic But i want you and your daughter to live a long happy life.
Wow stsalvage..... You might want to tone that drama down a notch or 3. As the guy stated, he's new to the posting deal so maybe take a step back & get to know him a little better before lecturing (that's how your post read to me anyway). If anything, his posting indicates he's trying to make a vehicle safer for his daughter.... not faster.

James75, the short & sweet answer: The 71-87 disc equipped front suspension parts are the easiest, most direct approach to take if updating a drum brake equipped 63-70 truck. The newer 88-98 parts could be used but the difficulty level increases significantly. The track width of the rear-end housings for the 88-98's are about 1.5" wider than the early 6-lug housings & .75" wider than the pre-88 5-lug housings.

If you'd like specific info or recommendations for something you're not sure of ask away..... we're here to help.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
James75

Thanks for the help everyone! I just got home after making a deal on a 85 suburban for a great price. The body isn't much to look at, but I'm not using it anyway. It has a 350/700r4 combo, power everything, and looks like no one has messed with anything. (all factory stuff) Should make a great donar vehicle. And don't worry, my daughters safety is first and foremost! It's all about dependability and function, that's one reason she will be driving a chunk of American steel, less for me to have to worry about. (plus the looks and style cant be matched with todays vehicles) Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Sounds like you are on the right path James. Keep us posted with your progress.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"