The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Sterling73

Big, Yellow, and ready to work!

Hey all!

Name's Sterling, I usually wrench on old obscure Nissans (rwd 80s 200sx) but the time has finally come for me to get a truck to tow them with and other general work...

I moved to Hemet CA late 08 from northern IL, finally ridding myself of the undesirable weather. A long time fan of old Chevy trucks, a fond memory of my childhood (they've all but rotted away from widespread use in IL), I finally landed one of my own!

Its a super base 73 8' utility bed in YELLOW! Formally what appears to have been an LA county work truck, the only option is power brakes, which is exactly what I was looking for! That, and it was $600 and runs, yay! This was last August.

enough already!

I have no use for the ladder rack on the truck (use it elsewhere round the property) so off it comes, the day I get it,

quite the audio system,

note the magnet lol

swear I didn't put it there!

Specs:

1/2 ton 5 lug
307CI/TH350
New single exhaust with glasspack... loud and deep, the way it should be!
Full 8' utility bed
Toyota truck? seats retrofitted
mostly original otherwise
'heavy duty rear suspension' according to sticker
base other than power brakes (thank goodness@brakes) and auto trans

I think I drove it the first day, and immediately began taking it apart...its a problem I have, probably not the only one like that here! Plan is a full update, tho the truck will still see mostly work duty.

A general idea of whats on the menu:

-Meet other local enthusiasts!! I'm still amazed by the number of these era trucks still in service here in socal, there has got to be around 10 within the few blocks of here still being used. its so cool.

-Complete rewire. I suppose unlike a good deal of auto enthusiasts, especially with older model vehicles, I rather enjoy wiring. The plan is to build an entirely new harness customed to this truck, a very basic system to meet the few needs of this pickup, as I'll detail in a bit. This will include aftermarket gauges replacing all the stockers. Im aware of repro's but this is a challenge!

-I love the utility bed, but as it stands atm, I don't need it. What I do need is toolboxes for my garage, so for the time being, I will be dismounting them and setting them up alongside both walls, and custom building some fenderwells-I've done my share of metalworking and welding etc, but maybe I'll get wild and try some fiberglass. This is a rather long-term project, so options are endless as budget allows

-Although it may seem bizarre, HVAC elimination. (DONE) I rather love the heat (I did move to the desert!) so no particular use for A/C (in my DD I use it a few times a year) and the truck never had it factory anyway haha. and I am still from IL originally, hence my concept of cold not really mixing with Cali, so all of the hvac stuff including heater is gone. I won't be driving it much, so this won't be a problem. I moved here in November, and daily drove an old Nissan I partially restored with no hvac for a good 6 months or so and it was fine, so this is nothing new, although not fairly normal (but is for me!)

Short term, minor update/maintenance:

~conversion to HEI (working on it)
~fluid flush (DONE)
~replace rubber brake lines (ready in box!)
~new block plugs, old ones were rotted bad! (working on it atm)
~hoses/belts etc
`Optima battery (will be located underdash to shorten wire and keep an empty engine bay) and aforementioned new custom harness
~switch from sidesaddle fuel tank to one between the framerails
~3point seatbelt conversion (DONE)
~replace manual steering box with one that has no slop (have a good junkyard part ready)

Long term stuff:

~lowering. axle flip rear, front drop spindles/springs to match. I'm quite keen on having the truck sit level, ie no front or rear rake, its a personal thing. I have not yet done enough research to determine which parts I'll be purchasing to pull this off, so any input is greatly appreciated!
~complete removal of stepside bed and conversion to aluminum (mostly) flatbed. I'm not completely dedicated to this yet, but it would serve my purposes a bit better.
~conversion to manual trans (pedals installed). A personal preference, I enjoy choosing my own gears. In this context, its just one thing less I have to worry about when towing up the grades of socal mountains on the way to (semi) local tracks! this might get pushed aside for...
~4.8L Gen III/5- or 6-speed trans.
For the loads I'll be pulling, and the intended curb weight, this combo will be more than sufficient to meet my needs.

One might note the general lack of aesthetics above. I'm really not concerned about looks, the paint is OK (its a respray, pass fender replaced) and I'm just happy to have it. It could be, I really like the mid 80s look, so a conversion might happen there, but for now its fine.

I've been cruising socal's AWESOME junkyards and just grabbing goodies as i come across them. I'll put up more pics later, but think of it as a junkyard restoration. The only big body issue is the floorpan is rusted decently, tho its inside out from use (look underneath and it looks brand new yay! so not used to that). Easy work tho, and I can actually buy pre-shaped pieces. Not used to having aftermarket options, thats for sure. Domestics FTW.

This is actually a fuel economy build, ironically. I am looking to make this truck as reliable and usable as possible, something I can haul the racecar for hours, or jump in unloaded and cruize to LA to grab some parts and get decent gas mileage. The goal is mid 20s- I'll say 25mpg, because thats what my old Nissan gets, and if I can pull that off, awesome! As I've read with Fred (awesome build by the way @ 70pages!) the concept is possible.

The one thing I have not figured out yet is the rear end/drivetrain setup. Ideally, a reasonably priced 5speed is what I'm looking for... but as for the rear end, I don't know yet. I have not figured out what I have currently ratio-wise, and what would be ideal, but I'd rather not swap it unless I have to, it seems fine and thats just more $ This, like most things here, is not an urgent issue.

A few things I'm trying to figure out...
Factory service manuals? I discovered Brother's, who is only 45 mins from here! but the 73 book is on infinite backorder. I'm really after the wiring diagrams, I need to understand the wiring coming out of the ignition column, thats the key and base for the new harness. They had the wiring in a separate book, but the diagram was incomplete.

4.8L setup? The basics have already been done well by a few guys on here (hats off to them!) but my setup is unusual with trans choice and what not. Fabrication...say I go hydraulic clutch etc...is of no objection. The other deal is the EFI harness... I understand there are guys who you can send your stocker to, and they'll return it to your specs... but thats what I do with the old Nissans. I want to figure this out myself, I can have someone local do final tuning. Or, Megasquirt(standalone), but I'd rather not, seeing as the stock ECU has been mapped so well.

I've got a good deal of pics to share, as I've been wrenching for some time on it, but not as complete as I'd like. My brother moved out here for a few months after college graduation which pulled me away from this, and now I'm gonna get back cookin' on it!

well, thats one looong intro, much more to come!

later, Sterling

Last edited by Sterling73; 05-29-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Sterling73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Stitch
Account Suspended

Re: Big, Yellow, and ready to work!

nice intro and nice project...I'm subscribing to this one...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
palposity

Subscribing....
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig
View Project Cletus HERE - SOLD

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I like it! I've never seen a bed like that one. It looks like a step side bed minus the original fenders and they just hung the toolbox sides on it. Never seen one of those before.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
Sterling73

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the bed is quite unique I think. You're correct in its construction, there is even the semicircular bolt holes for the stepside's regular fenders! The options tag states 'Utility Stepside' or something along those lines. Its interesting, because up until this particular truck, I can't say I've ever seen an 8' standard stepside, as far as i can remember they have always been 6'. For moving stuff, the 8' size is perfect for my needs. Another cool tidbit, the wood bed was replaced a few years back, so its in fairly good shape. Made of oak, it could use a fresh clearcoat, as the desert heat is pretty brutal on it. Pressure wash and seal should come out gravy.

The doors really aren't in the greatest of shape, theres some rust going on down low, so half off day and the junkyard I'll probably grab some fresh ones. That, and there's this to deal with,

The truck had nearly its purchase price in audio stuff installed, but for as relatively little as I'll be using it, I chose to pull it out. I can reuse some of the portions in my other rides.

buh by!

Previous owner had custom-cut some carpet, but I personally dislike carpet because I've got to clean it, and this is a work truck darn it!

getting there!

This is interesting. I'm not sure what caused this, but it does not come off, its like the glass itself has actually become opaque. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this to be the original windshield...if thats the case, this truck couldn't have too many miles on it, I suppose if it was used just locally...odo shows around 70k. I imagine a 1 belongs on the front of that.

The paint is all forms of oxidized. Just a wash made a huge difference, then I poured in some Bleche White into the mix (don't do that if you care about your paint!) and it continued to clean up. I have not worked on the bed yet here,

what a dramatic difference!

getting there!

much more to come
Old 05-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Stitch
Account Suspended

the windshield is safety glass...it's two panes of glass with a layer of plastic or something sandwiched between the glass...it's just delaminating...that's all...nothing you can do about it that I know of but to replace it...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

They made 8' steppers, they were just fairly rare. I remember seeing them run around with the side tool boxes like yours, was fairly common in the 80's. I'm not totally sure the side boxes were a factory option though, pretty certain they are aftermarket like utility beds and such.

Got you a good start for something unique there. I'll be keeping track.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
Sterling73

OH NOES

s*** just got real!

super excite!

man I'm so pumped!

just as I was looking for, a 4.8l, but with a 4l60e, however...,
engine harness,
most of chassis harness,
ecu,
steering column,
key,
radio even (!)
original gauges
shifter cable
fuel pump/sender
exhaust manifolds/cats/y-pipe
intake system/maf
ECU tuning device (unsure of what its called, but its an OBDII scanner and all)
2003 w/53k on it.

$1200!

more pics to come...

Anyone else heading out to the Brothers Truck Show in Anaheim July 11th? hope to have the truck back together by then...(but not yet with the LR4 haha)

Last edited by Sterling73; 06-11-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Sterling73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Nice find! That'll keep you busy for a few weekends.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Nice truck, I like the long bed stepsides! Pull those utility boxes off and see the treasure you have beneath. Very rare truck. Good find on the 4.8L
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
manimal

any updates? I live just up Lambs canyon from you.
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #12
Squareforceone

whatever happened to this it was my favorite truck on this site
Squareforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #13
tim23mn

x2 I really like this truck. Tons of potential