The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
busjockey

Title question

Just got my 48 project home and need a title. In texas the minimum appraised value for my truck is $6000.00 therefore the bond will cost me $600.00. This seems to be alot sence the truck is only worth about $300. In the present condition. The numbers are not on the engine where they are supposed to be and this truck has been sitting for 40 years, therefore no records. What is the best way to go about getting a title to rebuild the truck?
Attached Images

busjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: Title question

I'm not sure about TX since every state is different.
But I have a legit title for my 53, BUT I'm putting it on a S-10 frame and it's titled by motor number. I have a friend who has a licensed garage/towing company who took my cab vin# to the DMV and applied for a mechanics lien. Within two weeks I had a new cab vin title. Seems sneaky, but it is my truck. The only problem with this route; make sure nobody actually has a title to this truck because they will be notified via registered mail during the mechanics lien process.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
azsnow

Are you sure thats what a bond will cost? I know every state is different, but I have done several bonded titles, and no matter the value of the auto, the bond only cost me $75 from an insurance company. The auto is assessed so that if the bond has to be paid, the recipient will recieve 1.5 times the value, and you can keep your truck.

Do some research, I am sure the bond in Texas is $15 per $1000 with the minimum being $100, so therefore your bond should only be $90, but since the minimum is $100 thats what it should be.

http://www.lawrenceautotitle.com/FAQ1.htm
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

In Texas the bond is on the actual purchase price for your truck not a book value.

you need:

A Bill of Sale to prove the paid price.
A Statement of Physical Inspection form VTR-270
A Statement of Fact for Tax Collector Hearing / Bonded Title form VTR-130-SOF
A Application for title only form VTR 131
The bond certificate which should cost $15 per 1000 but not less that $100

A tracing of the Vin or possibly a picture
A picture of the truck at its ugliest would help.
A copy of the state statute that explains how you will be taxed when you title it. Incase they try to tax you at Blue Book ( Standard Presumptive Values)

Vehicles Not Subject to Taxation based on Standard Presumptive Value

New vehicles (not previously titled)
Vehicles purchased from licensed dealers (dealers use purchase price only)
Vehicles purchased at a governmental or foreclosure auction
Vehicles 25 years old or older
Off-road vehicles, such as dirt bikes or all-terrain vehicles (ATVs)
Salvage or abandoned vehicles (except rebuilt salvage vehicles)
Vehicles sold through a mechanic or storage lien
Vehicles given as gifts to eligible applicants
Even-trade vehicles, when vehicles of equal value are swapped by the owners

Texas Administrative Code
TITLE 34 PUBLIC FINANCE
PART 1 COMPTROLLER OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS
CHAPTER 3 TAX ADMINISTRATION
SUBCHAPTER F MOTOR VEHICLE SALES TAX
RULE §3.79 Standard Presumptive Value

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=34&pt=1&ch=3&rl=79

If you do end up taxed at the $6000 rate then you can ask for and will get a refund if you file for it with the comptroller of Texas.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The easier option is go to a title agent and pay $400 and be done with it
Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
azsnow

I will do it in Arizona for $375! I will make $300 off of the deal! Its not that hard, and to save several hundred dollars, its worth going through the steps, at least for me it is.

Regardless of what value, it will still equal out to $100 because that is the minimum they can charge. Go to your local DMV, get the forms, fill them all out, then go to your insurance or bonding agency, and they will help you with the rest, that way when you return to the DMV, its done. Sometimes it is agravating when you get these old ladies who have no idea what they are doing, and then you just ask to speak to a supervisor and that is it.

After they do a search and have no record of the truck, you don't have to send any certified letters, just go get the bond!
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Getting an out of state bonded title converted to a Texas bonded title can be a PIA. You can save the money and do it your self but my time is worth more than standing in line and chasing paper so its easier for me to pay a title company to do it. The problem here is that every tax office does things a little differently and usually don't know the laws and codes as well as they should. I have walked in and gotten a title with only a Bill of Sale and other times I ended up with 3 trips the the tax office and a ream of paper work to get the exact same thing done.

Your right its suppose to be an easy process. But it seems like they try to find something to boot you out of line and make you come back even if its just to lighten their daily work load.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
mr48chev

It looks like minimum appraisal value for a bonded title is 4000 http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/bonded.htm Ok that equals the 6k. I'm glad I live in this state we can have the vehicle inspected and get a three year provisional title that can be turned into a regular title at the end of three years with no bond.

The cost of the bond may still be cheaper than the hassles with a bogus title from one of the title sharpies.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Thats one of the conflicting bits of info. You don't get an appraisal for a 25 or older vehicle because they don't accept an appraisal under $4K. You give them a Bill of sale in lieu of appraisal and that determines the value.

"If a value is not available either through SPV or NADA, a licensed motor vehicle dealer or insurance adjuster may appraise the vehicle on a form provided by VTR.
On Vehicles 25 years old or older
The department will determine and assign the bond value
Appraisals less than $4,000 will not be accepted."

The value on a 25 or older is available via Bill of Sale so no appraisal is needed and the Department makes the determination of value based on the Bill of Sale.

If you didn't have a Bill of Sale it gets trickier and an appraisal is needed or you get a tow yard or repair shop the place a lien on it and get a title that way.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It looks like minimum appraisal value for a bonded title is 4000 http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/bonded.htm Ok that equals the 6k. I'm glad I live in this state we can have the vehicle inspected and get a three year provisional title that can be turned into a regular title at the end of three years with no bond.

The cost of the bond may still be cheaper than the hassles with a bogus title from one of the title sharpies.
I'm talking about getting a Bonded Texas Title not a title from a title mill that you convert into a Texas title. A Texas Title company will get you the bond and prepare the documents you need to present to the Tax office to get a title and/or Registration the first time.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
busjockey

thanks for the info. It looks like it is going to be alot of fun getting the title. Am going to try to do this the right way sence I intend to drive it every day. One problem is that the engine #'s have been ground off. Seems to be a 52 model engine. I have a call into the person in my county who comes out and establishes the vin and am just waiting for him to call back. itching to start taking it apart but dont really want to do anything till I have some questions answered about how we will determine the vin, what happens if I switch the cab or the engine to a different one that is in better shape or change the 216 for a 235 with #,s lots of things I don't know about.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Keep in mind that if the state issues you a new vin tag, you'll now have a 2012 Chevy truck. At least that's the way it is for VA "kit cars." Which means no antique tags, higher insurance, etc.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Root2812

I would assume... assume.. that if they give you a title they would probably title it by the body number this time around rather than issue a new vin. Ask the inspector. Do you have an ID plate in your door jam? or is it gone?

Here in Minnesota my truck was title by the body number not the engine number so I have no real experience with this.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
busjockey

I do have a door tag. I am waiting to talk to the guy who assigns the vin. He is on vacation til Monday. I have a lot of questions for him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #15
Indian113

I think the reason it has a 52 engine in your 48 project is because it is a 52 body!

The give away is the vent windows
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #16
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Keep in mind that if the state issues you a new vin tag, you'll now have a 2012 Chevy truck. At least that's the way it is for VA "kit cars." Which means no antique tags, higher insurance, etc.
Not in Texas
Old 12-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #17
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busjockey View Post
I do have a door tag. I am waiting to talk to the guy who assigns the vin. He is on vacation til Monday. I have a lot of questions for him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Door pillar is where the vin tag is on those cabs
Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #18
coralhead

Red face Re: Title question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
I think the reason it has a 52 engine in your 48 project is because it is a 52 body!

The give away is the vent windows
The '52's did not have drivers side cowel. I would say not the original doors. It is easier to change the doors than it is to put in a drivers side cowl.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #19
busjockey

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #20
busjockey

It is a 48 body. Doors have been changed as they were allowed to open to far and bend the cab on both sides probably bent the original doors as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #21
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
I'm talking about getting a Bonded Texas Title not a title from a title mill that you convert into a Texas title. A Texas Title company will get you the bond and prepare the documents you need to present to the Tax office to get a title and/or Registration the first time.
Ok, I've seen too many guys get burned lately with the out of state titles.

The assumption that because it's 50 years old it must be highly valuable has corrupted the tax collectors brain. A guy should be able to have a vehicle inspected as is and with proof of the as purchased condition get a bonded title based on the actual purchase price even if it is for title purpose only.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #22
Indian113

My bad,I didn't look at the rest of the cab!! Sorry for the mislead. I just looked at the doors,I think it would be a decent body to work with if you can title it.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #23
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Ok, I've seen too many guys get burned lately with the out of state titles.

The assumption that because it's 50 years old it must be highly valuable has corrupted the tax collectors brain. A guy should be able to have a vehicle inspected as is and with proof of the as purchased condition get a bonded title based on the actual purchase price even if it is for title purpose only.
Texas because of its size farms out a lot of services that are usually only done by the state. So its not unusual to go to a private company for things like titles. Some counties here may only have 100 residents so your not going to have a DMV office while Harris county with Houston as its big city has 4 million people and only 4 DMV offices.