The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Altec
Getcha Pull

Riding Into The Winter On The Cheap (Motorcycles)

Staying warm in the winter on the cheap. Any tips, ideas? This year I'm gonna try to ride as far into winter as I can without spending a ton of money on gear. IE: No expensive heated jackets, and no $150 gloves.

My current gear...

Leather "Scooter" Jacket
Half Helmet
Sunglasses
Mechanix Gloves
Leather Chaps

Plus hoodies, long sleeves, etc.

These are the things I'm looking at adding.

Neoprene Mask
Wiley Goggles
Glove Liners (I've heard good things about silk glove liners)
Wide Terry Cloth Wristbands (For better jacket seal)''

The only things I don't want to change is my half helmet, and no crazy thick gloves.

Right now mid-40's mainly has my face cold... I ride 45-55mph roads for 25-45 minute rides at a time.

Here is my bike. No windshield.

'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Riding Into The Winter On The Cheap (Motorcycles)

All I can say is your a brave soul!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Sounds like you have it covered.

I wear jeans, chaps, t-shirt, insulated leather jacket (heavy), gloves, neoprene/fleece mask, dark/amber/clear glasses depending on the time of day, driving gloves w/ cheap brown cloth work gloves as a liner, and a leather do-rag, and can ride down to 30-35 degrees for similar conditions as you stated. I do have a windshield though!

The only part that really gets cold is the upper part of my nose, above my mask, and below my do-rag.

I usually don't ride when it is below 35 though, just because of freezing on the road. A little slip in a car is no big deal, on a bike, you have a BIG problem!!

Just remember if you stop somewhere, take off your mask and glasses if you go into a convenience store. I forgot once, and the girl behind the counter freaked out for a second, until I remembered to take them off. Head to toe black leather with a mask on. I apologized A LOT!!! She always remembered me though!

Keep the shiny side up!!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

I rode down to 12 degrees the first winter I had my bike, whenever snow wasn't in the air I was on the bike. lotsa layers and no windshield... you learn to find the hot spots on the engine and exhaust in a quick hurry!

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
NONHOG

Use to ride in the cold. If I started getting too cold I'd stop at a mini mart and grab a few local want ad papers and line between my shirt and jacket.
Helped insulate real well. Even better if you got caught w/o a 'good' jacket.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

i have heard that latex gloves inside your regular gloves works pretty good for keeping your hands and fingers warm, but i cant say if that is true or not as i have no first hand experience with it...
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
70-Shorty

I know you want to keep the half helmet but losing that would be the best thing u can do. I rode many years with many different styles of half helmets from novelty beanies to DOT legal ones. I've got tired of wind noise and extreme cold and got a full face helmet and your ears will thank you, not to mention laughing (inside your helmet) as hard objects bounce off the helmet that would have been destined to pelt u in the face!!! I acquired a pair of gauntlet gloves that were one size too big and i wear some thin very flexible gloves under them, keeps my hands pretty warm. Other than that as others said, layers help. Ive ridden down to the low thirties with snow on both sides of the road but thankfully that ain't very often, that full face helmet really helps. SERIOUSLY.
Tim

Riding thru Yosemite in Thanksgiving after a storm the day before...My helmet aint pretty (nor am i) but it sure works. I don't ride rice either...i'm on a 2000 Road King.
Attached Images

02 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson supercharged 5.4
2000 Harley Roadking Hot Bike Baggers Mag Shoot
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...oot/?start=all
some truck lettering & flame jobs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4950319...7602894916215/

Last edited by 70-Shorty; 12-02-2011 at 09:21 PM.
70-Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
Altec
Getcha Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
All I can say is your a brave soul!
Haha, thanks...I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
Sounds like you have it covered.

I wear jeans, chaps, t-shirt, insulated leather jacket (heavy), gloves, neoprene/fleece mask, dark/amber/clear glasses depending on the time of day, driving gloves w/ cheap brown cloth work gloves as a liner, and a leather do-rag, and can ride down to 30-35 degrees for similar conditions as you stated. I do have a windshield though!

The only part that really gets cold is the upper part of my nose, above my mask, and below my do-rag.

I usually don't ride when it is below 35 though, just because of freezing on the road. A little slip in a car is no big deal, on a bike, you have a BIG problem!!

Just remember if you stop somewhere, take off your mask and glasses if you go into a convenience store. I forgot once, and the girl behind the counter freaked out for a second, until I remembered to take them off. Head to toe black leather with a mask on. I apologized A LOT!!! She always remembered me though!

Keep the shiny side up!!
I really don't wanna ride below 35 either. I think I'll mark that as my cut off, and start hoping for spring...

Good tip on the mask! I'll also have to dig up a pair of brown gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propanemudtruck View Post
I rode down to 12 degrees the first winter I had my bike, whenever snow wasn't in the air I was on the bike. lotsa layers and no windshield... you learn to find the hot spots on the engine and exhaust in a quick hurry!
Always have layers! I had a long sleeve, hoodie, and jacket today. Jeans, and chaps on the legs. Around 50*, and I was toasty besides my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Use to ride in the cold. If I started getting too cold I'd stop at a mini mart and grab a few local want ad papers and line between my shirt and jacket.
Helped insulate real well. Even better if you got caught w/o a 'good' jacket.
Even more ghetto then I was shooting for, but I like it! I'll keep that in mind if I ever get stuck in a cold patch on a road trip! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by project 67 sub View Post
i have heard that latex gloves inside your regular gloves works pretty good for keeping your hands and fingers warm, but i cant say if that is true or not as i have no first hand experience with it...
I've heard the latex gloves thing, too. The reasoning I heard was to purposely make your hands sweat, or something like that. Last thing I want is to sweat while in the cold... The latex gloves may have a wind breaking element, though. I will have to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70-Shorty View Post
I know you want to keep the half helmet but losing that would be the best thing u can do. I rode many years with many different styles of half helmets from novelty beanies to DOT legal ones. I've got tired of wind noise and extreme cold and got a full face helmet and your ears will thank you, not to mention laughing (inside your helmet) as hard objects bounce off the helmet that would have been destined to pelt u in the face!!! I acquired a pair of gauntlet gloves that were one size too big and i wear some thin very flexible gloves under them, keeps my hands pretty warm. Other than that as others said, layers help. Ive ridden down to the low thirties with snow on both sides of the road but thankfully that ain't very often, that full face helmet really helps. SERIOUSLY.
Tim

Riding thru Yosemite in Thanksgiving after a storm the day before...My helmet aint pretty (nor am i) but it sure works. I don't ride rice either...i'm on a 2000 Road King.
I do have a full face, and a motocross helmet if I get to that point. Got the "DOT" helmets, too. *Wink* I just want to stick with my bucket if I can for a couple reasons. I can see better, and I can hear better in the populated city areas. The trade off is wind noise, and being pelted with dirt from time-to-time. Being that I mainly ride on back roads I don't have to much of the flying crud, and kicked up rocks. If I venture into more interstates, and freeways I consider grabbing the full face.

Keep any ideas coming! I guess I'll have to start testing out the ideas, and reporting back.

Someone needs to call the Mythbusters...
'96 Integra
Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Heated gloves and heated vest. They make a huge difference. Remember,windchill loses it's affect over 40 mph. So go fast,you won't get any colder and you'll reduce the time being cold.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Indian113

Do you have a good Rain suit? Believe it or not it will stop the wind ,I've wore mine on top of my leather and started to sweat at slower speeds.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
67sub

Personally I couldn't imagine not having a full face helmet in the cold. Coldest I've ridden was 17 degrees F, and even with multiple layers it was extremely cold. I tried the latex gloves and couldn't tell a difference as far as the temp or wind, only in how bad my hands moved inside my real gloves when I had the latex on.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #12
Altec
Getcha Pull

My Dad was able to pick me up a very nice balaclava through his work. Haven't had a chance to take it on the road, but will be doing a 50 mile trip including a good stretch of doing 75mph, so I'll get a good test! Still going to pick up a Neoprene mask to try.

Looking at sealed glasses right now.

Anyone used Under Armour brand glove liners? Is it worth going name brand?
'96 Integra
Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #13
Altec
Getcha Pull

Sorry about the double post, but I thought I'd give a update on the trip.

Gear:

Head:
  • VEGA Half Helmet
  • Balaclava
  • Snug Fitting Safety Sunglasses

Torso/Arms:
  • Heavy Weight Long Sleeve Cotton Shirt
  • Heavy Cotton "Hoodie"
  • UNIK Leather "Scooter" jacket (With Liner)
  • Mechanix Gloves

Waist/Feet:
  • Levi Jeans
  • UNIK Leather Chaps (Liner is MIA)
  • Cotton Socks
  • Old Ass Boots (Falling Apart/Very Comfy)

Riding Conditions:
  • Temp: 43-45* F
  • Ride Time: 1.25 Hours
  • Mileage: 45 Miles
  • Road Speeds
    • 14 Miles: 70mph
    • 15 Miles: 40-45mph
    • 16-ish Miles: 50-55mph

Results:

Not bad.
  • Torso was toasty.
  • Legs were a little chilly. Think I may pick up some long johns to wear for that problem.
  • Wrist area was a little cold from the wind getting in. Need them terry cloth bands...
  • After riding the 70mph stent I had to ride a few miles at 60mph (I mean 55mph, of course...), then go through a toll plaza. I kept the money in my glove. My hands were claws at this point, so it made getting the money...interesting. Bottom line? Need to try liners, and maybe break down and use the gauntlets...
  • Face was decent. The Balaclava, and well fitted glasses did the do. The Balaclava I have however won't cover your nose. Well, it will but it isn't comfy, and the air from your nose goes right to the glasses. Makes a nice fogger...

Bottom line:
Bottom line is my gloves are the worst part. Everything else I feel I could go down to high 30's with. Little tweaks I want to make are some more leg warmth, and doubling up masks with the Balaclava, and a Neoprene. That'll fix the nose problem. Sealed goggles would be a nice luxury item... My hands are simply a HAVE to do something about. In the 40's I rode it was the sort of thing that it sucks until you can't feel it anymore...

On a side note my bike has a small oil leak. Although I can't tell if it is from the oil tank breather (It is a little over full), or the oil change drain line...again... Gotta get that taken care of!
'96 Integra
Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Altec
Getcha Pull

Thought I'd update that Santa got some new gear for me!

A Neoprene mask.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1-Reversib...item256a50c499

Long Terry Cloth Bands.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-inch-Long-...item588fba2b68

KD's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KDs-Original...item43aaad8824

I had to modify the mask a little. The breathing was restricted so I cut a V shaped chunk out of it to open it up more. The Terry Cloth is what it is. No problems! Same with the KD's. I needed something for nightriding. I got stuck one night wearing my tinted sunglasses at night... Kinda sucked...

Rode Test:

The Mask worked pretty good. I thought the holes around your mouth was kinda silly. The only provided places for air to get in. Didn't help. Confirming what I read in reviews a little air from your nose makes its way up to your eyes. Which will fog non-sealed glasses This was ten times worse before cutting! It now only happens when stopped and breathing normally. Breath light at stop lighting, and it won't be a problem. Speaking of glasses. They do press the temples into your head a tiny bit. Which isn't a big deal, it isn't bad if your temples flex. KD's don't flex... I think this thing begs to be worn with goggles.

Side Note: I tried putting the mask on, then my Balaclava over top. I think this will offer the best of both words, but sure is a snug fit... I'm not claustrophobic, but it sure is a weird feeling. I can't imagine a problem riding, but if you have issues with confined spaces, go another route.

I couldn't fully test the wrist bands because I'm a retard and didn't zip the sleeves on my jacket, so they weren't sealing as well as they should... However one obvious thing was that they kept my under shirts from pulling back because they are tucked under the wrist band. No cold wrists! Kept the back of my hand warmer too.

Didn't wear the glasses. I feel safe in assuming I'm gonna have wind funneling into my eye balls.

Ride safe!
'96 Integra
Old 12-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Do you have a good Rain suit? Believe it or not it will stop the wind ,I've wore mine on top of my leather and started to sweat at slower speeds.
right on!....Rain suit, jump suit, plastic bags...I have used them all.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #16
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Went for a 60 mile ride on the 24th. Wore what I spoke about above, and wasn't too bad. Between my eyebrows and my fingertips were all that really got cold. When riding my do-rag was down low over my glasses. In the bottom picture, it was 35 degrees at 3:14 when I stopped by my moms house.

Glad to hear you have it just about figured out!!
Attached Images

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
Altec
Getcha Pull

Thanks, chevy_man5! Pretty much seems like you have what I've been putting together!

Maybe I should pick up some mechanix gloves that are one size up, and try brown gloves under them. If I'm lucky it'll be a nice medium between hand cramping puffy gloves, and frozen hands...

If I can get down to 35* with close eyebrows, I'll be down right gitty!
'96 Integra
Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
Altec
Getcha Pull

Funny update. I've been resting my left hand on the engine while cruising, and I believe I cauterized the palm of my glove without noticing! haha!
'96 Integra