The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
danheit

Going to look at a "parts truck" tomorrow

So after a very extensive search on Craigslist, I found a guy with a 55 TF cab, fenders, doors and some small parts on CL for sale for $500. Only problem is that they seem to be in the same shape as mine, so I am wondering if it will be worth while to pay the full amount and get it all just to have some backups, even though I don't need it all, or end up paying like half price and only get a few pieces. what would your advice be? I am thinking that the big ticket items here will be a small window cab with a solid cowl, which mine doesn't have, and a good bench seat and a fuel tank. Maybe I would be able to make due with the two front fenders, but I am thinking they are as bad as mine, so what would you pay for a cab that needs some corner, floor and firewall work, a decent bench seat, and a gas tank?
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
72Mountaineer

Re: Going to look at a "parts truck" tomorrow

Define "some".
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
azsnow

Pics? Link?
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
danheit

Well, I drove 2.5 hours today, each way, and didn't end up purchasing the cab. I looked at it, figured it wasn't in much better shape than mine is, and left it there. They guy even offered it to me with a clear title for $140. When I got home, I realized that it was in MUCH better shape than mine, and am now kicking myself for not getting it. I left behind the doors with the rusted out bottoms, the cab, an extra frame, hood, and some small parts. I did bring home an original bench seat in excellent condition, two front fenders in very good condition (need the bottom corners replaced but that's it), a front valance (the piece under the grill between the fenders, two gas tanks with senders, and an original under the bed spare tire carrier in excellent shape, all for $180. I came out good, but spent $150 in gas going to get that stuff, and really wish I would have gotten it all for the $500 he wanted for everything. Ah well, maybe next time. I am going to shoot him an email and let him know I am still interested in the other parts, and see what happens with it.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Root2812

If you had 2 titles and you are making 1 truck I am sure you could sell 1 ID plate and title to a guy without one. It would probably go fast too even though its unethical to sell just a title and ID for someone else to put on their cab. That would recoup some of the money.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
meter swinger

It can be tough with the 50's stuff. Some times its hard to know when to pass or jump on it. There was a guy here selling an entire rust free 57 front clip with doors newer paint no rust no dents. Wanted 700 cash. I was half tempted to go get it and i have no use for it. It was difficult to not pick up the phone. I'm really proud of myself, i think i'm getting better
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
OrrieG

That is hard. I learned to take pictures of what I have or want to do for comparision, especially when chasing "adaptable" parts in the wrecking yard. I have a box of "close but no cigar" stuff that I'm selling in the spring at the local swap meet. Must have been driving a old big truck to only get 8-9 mpg??
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
danheit

Yep, I was driving the F250 (V10) with a trailer with an expanded metal gate on the back at 70+mph.

Good News Though! I called the guy back, told him I kinda made a bit of a mistake not getting the cab, and he told me he would make me a deal, and that I could have every last piece of the 55 he had for $200. I will be going back down on Tuesday to get the rest. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that he will throw in the nice set of tires and rims he was trying to sell me, but I doubt it. There was also an immaculate chrome rear bumper with brackets, and an oak bed kit in really great shape. Those weren't part of this truck, but he was trying to get them out of his way, so I am keeping the fingers crossed. He seems to be a really nice guy and just wants the parts to go to someone that will use them (which I will!).
I will be getting the cab, replacement floor patch panels and the auto tranny hump, 2 doors, all of the front grill assembly, inner front fenders, frame, title, rear fenders from the bed (no bed though), headlight buckets and assemblies, and all kinds of other little stuff. Now if I can just find enough room to put it somewhere.......
Old 01-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
If you had 2 titles and you are making 1 truck I am sure you could sell 1 ID plate and title to a guy without one. It would probably go fast too even though its unethical to sell just a title and ID for someone else to put on their cab. That would recoup some of the money.
Yep "any cab" with a clear title and the right number plate to go along with it has to be worth that price and some on here would give a lot more.

I've got a 1-1/2 ton that I bought mainly because it has a clear title. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it but I don't have to feed it or carry water to it so I don't really care right now.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
duwem

I have picked up some "nicer than mine" parts for my 50, but they are in a tote and will stay in a tote because I will want "nice as new" parts when my truck is done.

Like I said in another post, a slightly less dented fender is still a dented fender...
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
JumboAMONGus

buy it and then sell what you can on ebay .then scrap the rest ,or make a rat rod ,,lol
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
danheit

Well, JUST got home with all the new parts, everything is still loaded in the trailer and in the back of the truck. It was an 'interesting' haul home, to say the least. Oddly enough, a 15' frame in the back of a 7' bed hanging over a trailer carrying a truck cab makes turns quite interesting. I also had my two main DOT straps give way on me about 15 minutes into the trip heading home. Don't really know what happened, as everything was strapped down TIGHT. I ended up getting some great parts, but the wheels were already sold, and the chrome rear bumper and oak bed kit weren't included. I did get my hood, inner fenders, rear fenders and all bed trim pieces, doors, cab with title, frame, door trim, headlights/buckets/trim, grill, rad support, etc. I pretty much got an entire truck minus running gear and a bed for around 380 bucks. I think I did pretty well.