The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
NobleSix

Question Gauge Cluster Questions

hello all you happy people!

ive got a 67 gauge cluster i wanted to put in my 69. i looked at a couple catalogs and it seems a new one is about 600 doll-hairs or so. the one in the 67 looks like it was brand new at the time the PO installed it. only has 7000 miles on the odometer.

swapping the clusters was pretty simple. unplug the spedo cable, oil pressure tube, and unplug the large rectangular wiring connector, installation is the exact reverse.

i didnt notice i had a problem till i was driving at night.

i can turn the lights on, and everything works like normal. turn signals, brake lights, high/low beams ect.

the problem im having is when i try to turn up the dash lights, the brights come on, and both parking lights, as well as the brake lights also go to the "bright" setting. the gauges that arent connected to the gauge cluster light up like they should.

if i dont turn the dash lights on, everything is as normal, just cant see the gauges at night.

twist the knob to turn the dash lights on, brights light up, same with the parking and brake lamps, and pretty much only one dash light lights up. all the bulbs are fine and

the origional cluster from the 69 never had this issue, everything worked like it should. i even swapped the printed circuits, still the same problem.

is there a reason the 67 cluster wont work in my 69?

R.I.P. Corey "Flattus Maximus" Smoot 11/3/11
You will be missed. Your sound lives on.
NobleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Gauge Cluster Questions

You mean all the indicators in the panel comeon and turn up with he dash lights... Right? The brake warning light, high beam indicator, the green turn signal lights... Not the actual brake lights on the back of the truck.
If this is what you mean, then i would guess the small cardboard cylinders that are missing... Little tubes that block the light.
Posted via Mobile Device
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
NobleSix

no i mean the lights in the dash, save for one on the far right hand side go out, and the bights come on, even with the bright switch in the off position, and both turn signals come on, but dont blink. im a lil stumped. cause it worked perfectly for 5 minutes, now it does this. ill see if i can get some pics and post them.

the brake warning light and the one next to it, the only two "idiot lights" those are off.

and this only started happening with the swapping of clusters. the 69 cluster didnt do this. i even swapped the printed circuits, same problem. all the bulbs are confirmed to work. the wiring in the truck has been confirmed correct.

the only thing i can think of is a 67 cluster will not work properly in a 69.... for some reason.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
Street Smart

I`m not sure if the two years are identical or not but it sounds like its a bad ground and it`s back feeding thru the other bulbs (hi beam, directions).

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
domeier

That thing is haunted. You need an exorcist.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
NobleSix

so far i have taken a bit of fine sand paper to every copper contact on both sets of printed circuits and the problem still exists. i have no idea what to do now. i even went looking for other grounds that i could clean up but i think ive gotten every one of them. im not 100% on that, but im pretty sure. i should probably also note that i have the heavy duty healight harness from LMC http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=70 installed. it was installed prior to me mucking about with the cluster and everything worked perfectly, almost a year prior to this.

i know there is a ground behind the battery tray, i think its called the core support, im having a huge brainfart right this very second... that appears as if it might be for the headlights. also, there is one that looks like its shared by the voltage regulator.

am i missing anything? anyone else have a similar problem? i really dont want to burn my truck to the ground. cause at the rate im going, a simple gauge cluster swap turns into this weird issue, catching it on fire is prolly not far behind. and the worst part is thats my optimistic appraisal of the situation =(

ive even buffed up the copper contacts on the bulb holders, cause they looked to be a lil tarnished, to no avail. even took the colored bulbs out and tried all clear bulbs, also to no avail. if i get this new job id like to switch over to LED bulbs, IF, and this is looking to be a pretty big IF, i can get this thing figured out.

ive even put the 69's cluster back in, same problem. swapped circuits, bulbs, holders, sacrificed several small animals ect ect.... no dice.

anyone know if a cluster from a 67 will work in a 69? so far the answer is yes, with a huge resounding " kinda "

Old 12-14-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
ls1nova71

Sounds like a ground issue at the cluster to me
Tryd turning the lights on to where they start messing up and then get a piece of wire and touch one side of it to the metal part of the back of the cluster and the other end to a GOOD ground somewhere on the cab. Make sure you are getting real good clean connections when trying this.
Posted via Mobile Device
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:21 AM   #8
NobleSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Sounds like a ground issue at the cluster to me
Tryd turning the lights on to where they start messing up and then get a piece of wire and touch one side of it to the metal part of the back of the cluster and the other end to a GOOD ground somewhere on the cab. Make sure you are getting real good clean connections when trying this.
Posted via Mobile Device

ok so basically your saying that i should take some wire from a known good ground and touch it to the metal on the back of the cluster and see if it works?

if it does indeed solve the issue, where should i start looking for the bad ground? cause i thought the cluster gets its ground from the rectangular connector " plug " that plugs all the wiring into the cluster......come to think of it, i think i just answered my own question there, lol. thanks for the advice ls1nova71, ill try it as soon as im able. thats about the only thing i havnt tried yet.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
NobleSix

it worked. lights and all function properly. thanks ls1nova71