The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2003, 10:59 PM   #10
mrein3

Here's what I did.

When I bought Old Faithful the aux tank leaked. Of course the bolts were rusted beyond movement of the funky nuts they installed back then so I just ground the heads off the old bolts.

I had a local radiator shop repair the leak - yeah I'm a chicken. While the shop had the tank I ordered an aux fuel gauge from JC Whitney.

When I got the tank back I made up new bolts from 1/2" carriage bolts and 1/2 threaded rod. I also had to make a hole in the top of the tank for the new gauge. Since I was still a chicken I filled it with water and drilled out the hole.

My "tap" or switch or whatever you want to call the tank selector looks like what Gee_Emm posted only I have 3 in's and one out. The extra in is plugged with a bolt - I only have two tanks.

Attached is a picture of the aux. fuel guage from JC Whitney.

I asked the guy I bought the truck from how he knew how much gas was in the other tank. Similar to Gee_Emm's instructions he said run the saddle tank until the truck starts bucking. Then switch over. Then you know exactly how much gas is in the tank. I prefer the gauge.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote