The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #26
66CHEV

Re: need more help

i am assuming your new lifters are hydraulic and not solid, if so did you soak them in oil to let them fill before you intalled them?
66CHEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #27
FAT TONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CHEV View Post
i am assuming your new lifters are hydraulic and not solid, if so did you soak them in oil to let them fill before you intalled them?
I didnt find out you had to soak them till after i had installed them. but some one told me that leaving the engine running for 30 minutes would fill them up
FAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
66CHEV

not sure i have never tried it that way, always have soaked them. I would definatly start by taking off the valve cover and let the engine idle long enough to make sure all the valves are working up and down like they are supposed to. If not that could be your problem.
66CHEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #29
Blue72slab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CHEV View Post
I would definitely start by taking off the valve cover and let the engine idle long enough to make sure all the valves are working up and down like they are supposed to. If not that could be your problem.
This is good advice but read up on how to break in a cam so your new lifters don't ruin your cam. Make sure each rocker is getting oil. Did you adjust your rocker arms after installing the lifters? That's what the ticking sounds like to me. I would then look for a stock rebuilt carb. You need to know what you are doing to pull the camshaft and that would be one of the last things I would check, especially if every lifter, rocker arm and valve is moving up and down.
1980 GMC K5 Sierra Classic
Blue72slab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #30
FAT TONY

the rocker arms move like they are suppose to and I did adjust them, i did the loosen till you hear knocking then tighten them till they stop and another 1/2 turn, the turning off problem isnt so bad after i put a new fuel filter in im guessing the old one was clogged, but U haven't taken it for a test drive since that day it kept turning off so maybe on the weekend i will be able to take it out for a spin and see how it goes, but the knocking im not to sure its the lifters because i was listening to it more closely and it kinda sounds like if its coming from the bottom of the engine under the push rod covers , past the lifters
FAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote