The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
66crewcab

Blazer prices

As a avid Blazer fan and someone that's always in the market for these old trucks.I can't help to feel bad for some of the Blazers on E-bay and Craigslist etc.Some u know that the person has big money in them! But in this economy they just don't pull the big money that they should!I've built many show trucks and as a rule from now on...Build it to drive! Enjoy it and have some fun with them! That's why u wanted it in the first place!Just wanted to share my thoughts and maybe help someone not to lose money in their next truck!
66crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
dhaymaker

Re: Blazer prices

I have to confess...I'm torn between wanting to completely understand what you're saying (or, at least what I think you're saying) and having a good laugh. On the one hand, I agree with you, because I've been buying and selling vehicles (not just the ’67 – ’72 trucks I’m so fond of) for years and I've actually made a good bit of money. I've also lost money on some of my "builds", usually because I got so into the vehicle I didn't keep sight of the end goal, eventually selling the vehicle. The issue I see most often is in the skill level of the builder. There are a lot of talented people on this sight fully capable of doing virtually everything from mechanical, to wiring, to body and paint, and so on, but there’s a lot of people who aren’t. That’s where the risk begins…how much do you have to pay to have someone finish the body and shoot the color for you? Are you going to be able to replace panels, etc.

I really don’t feel too bad for some of the people who sink a lot of money into a Blazer (or truck, or any vehicle, for that matter) and then try to sell them. It’s the nature of what we do. Some people are “checkbook builders” and when they try to sell their built Blazer or truck, they are never going to get the money back! This is probably why I focus on “drivers” and I’ve never been big on the “show” side of our hobby!

Thought provoking comment, though!

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
66crewcab

U right! If u can do it all it's another story! But like u said if u can't do it and u pay someone??? Ur price is up there! I always have a paint job done on most of my trucks and them afraid to drive it and mess it up! I now have a 72 4x4 Gmc suburban done in "patina" I enjoy it more then anything else I own!So to each his own I guess?
66crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

I relate to the subject because it's what I've done for a living for myself and others. I do it all here from top to bottom other than actual machine work, that's farmed out.
Even so, I can't say it's still cheap to restore anything. With labor cost aside I can still sink $30k in a total build to do things right from top to bottom. Good parts are more expensive, and NOS parts are out of sight.
The problem with the blazers (or most any truck) is they just aren't going to be as collectable as the big dollar muscle cars so there isn't as much return on your money.

Trucks like the fat fender fords from the 50's, cameos, etc....are in a different catagory all their own, and fetch decent money now. 69-72 blazers?? Not so much in comparison.
That's one reason I can look at these Blazers and Pickups of this vintage as good drivers and save the collecting and serious restorations to the muscle cars.
I don't mean to knock the blazers, love the things. But when I can pick up a nice one that's nearly done (they're never done are they? ) In the $15-$20k range, I'm not afraid to get them out and enjoy them and drive them.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

I've been watching some on ebay too, they seem to be dropping some. not good for me since I'm just starting my project. I'm thinking I'll have $17-18K in mine, or atleast hoping no more than that. I could of bought a 71 all original one in GREAT condition for $15K but I passed, now I'm thinking I wish I would of bought it. I still would of had $18K in it by the time I changed the interior to the CST, it was a plain jane with utility buckets
Firebirdjones, I see you say cameo, I'm trying to get my sister to sell me my dads old 58 canary yellow cameo. Man I really need to work on her
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Firebirdjones

Cameo's are neat. Don't see them around much. Friend of mine used to drag race one in the 80's. He retired it for a 41 willy's around 95 and it now sits quietly in the barn.
What you said is almost always the case, it'll cost you more to restore than to buy one done. As the pickins get thin we are stuck with basket cases to start with, and the restoration costs triple.
What I've seen in recent years is that cars/trucks that would have been considered completely junk 10 years ago are now being looked at as potential projects. In another 10-15 years those will be gone too. It will keep slowly driving prices up as things get harder to find.

Alot of people frown on places like Barrett Jackson (starts next week here in AZ ) and blame that for rising prices. And I'll admit there are still good deals out there at lesser known auctions. But the reality of it is these cars and trucks aren't made anymore (except Dynacorn stuff ) and the cost of restorations are astronomical compared to 15-20 years ago as labor costs go up and parts costs go up (especially correct original used parts), NOS parts are drying up. Have you priced paint materials lately? Holy cow!!! It's all slowly driving the cost of the cars up. If you want a well done, concours restored, numbers matching, desirable muscle car model, the prices will reflect that. I know it's gotten me to the point I rarely even get some stuff out of the garage anymore. I couldn't afford to replace them anymore.
It's a frustrating market for sure for those that want to get into it now. Find what you can and hang onto it.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
nicosorange

looks like there is only 1 72 jimmy (lot 52) and 1 72 Blazer in next weeks auction...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=443&pop=0

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=443&pop=0

should be interesting to watch pricing. Oddly though there are about a dozen broncos going through the auction
nicosorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
rsavage

Since both of them are not stock restorations, I would be surprised if either brought big money even at Barrett-Jackson. I think a really clean stock restoration would do better in a down economy. If it is "correct" it is collectible and will hold more of its cost over the long run. It will be fun to watch.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Firebirdjones

Yeah Nico, I don't find it odd, the Bronco's have long been a collectable and have always brought decent money, (almost always more than blazers) even 15-20 years ago. Long before people started looking at blazers. So they are usually a good addition to any auction. I'm actually a big fan of the little bronco's. Love the boxy style and it's in a smaller package with a V8. Fun little trucks to drive. There are at least 6-8 of them running around town up here, maybe 2-3 blazers though.

You are right Savage, it's the stock type restorations with correct parts that bring the most money, whether you talk about trucks or cars.
Lately there has been a trend towards what they call "day 2" modified cars. Simple bolt on things like tachs, wheels, traction bars, that can easily be removed. But in the end, even after all these trends that take place, the stock restorations always prevail as the most sought after. 4x4's are sort of a catch 22. Stock is always desirable, but if a modded 4x4 is done tastefully with a mild lift and nice all around, they can also bring decent money. Seems people expect a 4x4 to,,,well,,,,look like a 4x4 so to speak It will be interesting to see how these trucks do. I'll be down there Thursday to check them out in person. Alot of that stuff looks good on TV, not so much in person though.