The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Russell Ashley

Anyone have a Miller Econotig welder?

Anyone using a Miller Econotig tig outfit? I just bought one but haven't used it yet as I still have to run power to it. I googled it and got mostly negative comments about it which surprised me since it is a Miller. Any comments about this machine?
I've never tried tig welding but do have a lincoln mig. I also do gas welding so I'm not new to welding. One question I have is about my shield. I have a HF auto-darkening shield that has been fine with the mig but I'm wondering if I will need a better shield for tig. One thing that I was surprised to find out is that it is also a stick welder. I don't have much need to do that but it is a bonus to know that it has the capability since I sold my Lincoln arc welder some time back.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
FFredo

Re: Anyone have a Miller Econotig welder?

My Buddy bought one recently. I own a older model Lincoln that I am happy with. I think lincoln vr miller is a lot like ford vs chevy, canon vs. nikon blah blah blah.
It works fine you should enjoy using it. I had the HF auto dark helmet that also worked ok. Once I was able to buy a high end helmet it made a huge difference in comfort level alone. If you can gas weld (braze) you'll notice a lot of simularities with the TIG. The puddle looks familiar and you'll get the hang of it pretty fast, at least I did.
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
hotrod1
56 - autocross

How bad could it be, its a Miller.

I have a Miller 180 SD. It is a better machine than I am a welder. At first I thought that it was not that good or a machine, and then I realized that it wasn't the machine, it was me.

Learning TIG is an art and takes a lot of practice. Once you get it, it is sweet. There is a guy that works with Porterbuild, named Brooks. Do a search on this site for Builtbybrooks. His welds will BLOW your mind or make you sick because you cant weld this way.

I had a first generation autodarkening helmet from Jackson. Everybody told me that it was a great helmet. I then upgraded to a lincoln 2450 and I am in heaven. My welding has improved because of the clarity and increased vision field. Worth every cent, and I would never go back. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
mknittle

We have 2 millers that are both close to 20 years old A millermatic 35 and a dial arc HF
both work great most tigs are stick too.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ This guy has some good videos and tips

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 01-11-2012 at 07:17 PM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
xpickup

Russell Ashley, I have the Hobart version and I am happy with it. There are a lot better but for the price I thought it was a good deal. I have only welded steel and aluminum with it and it does fine. The new inverter models do use a lot less energy. Mine is a transformer type but right after I bought it I seen they had the inverter style. I have a miller auto darkening hood and love it. It is the older style so it has dials instead of the soft pad buttons. I figured my style would last longer.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
Russell Ashley, I have the Hobart version and I am happy with it. There are a lot better but for the price I thought it was a good deal. I have only welded steel and aluminum with it and it does fine. The new inverter models do use a lot less energy. Mine is a transformer type but right after I bought it I seen they had the inverter style. I have a miller auto darkening hood and love it. It is the older style so it has dials instead of the soft pad buttons. I figured my style would last longer.

Shannon
A miller rep told me that miller owns Hobart now

My GMC build.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFredo View Post
My Buddy bought one recently. I own a older model Lincoln that I am happy with. I think lincoln vr miller is a lot like ford vs chevy, canon vs. nikon blah blah blah.
It works fine you should enjoy using it. I had the HF auto dark helmet that also worked ok. Once I was able to buy a high end helmet it made a huge difference in comfort level alone. If you can gas weld (braze) you'll notice a lot of simularities with the TIG. The puddle looks familiar and you'll get the hang of it pretty fast, at least I did.
exactly! I am still a bit Leary of all the electronics but they seem to work well.

My GMC build.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
xpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
A miller rep told me that miller owns Hobart now
I think they are owned by the same parent company. If you look at them they are just different colors and the miller is a $100 more. The hobart mig at work has a miller gun on it and it is probably over 6 years old. I would by either a Lincoln, Miller, or a Hobart if any of my welder died. I would stay away from the off brands. I have a Daytona mig and had a terrible time when I needed a gas valve for it. They just jerked me around.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Rude Dude

Hobart was bought out by Miller back in the ninety's, I'd say go for it. Lincoln are also good machines. Stay away from off shore brands the problem with them is tech or replacement parts. Hobart, Miller and Lincoln have 800 numbers and will step by step you with their product if your having problems. A friend of mine had a Econotig to fab up trailing arms for Quads, beautiful welds and he was happy with the machine.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
mknittle

Funny how paint color can effect the price that much. LOL Pays to research.

My GMC build.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
JumboAMONGus

i have a hobart ,works good for everyone else but i cant get the thing to weld for me hjahhaa time for school.
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #12
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I just purchased one this week and saw the same negatives about it. haven't had a chance to use it yet.
The guys that actually do tig say its ok for an entry level machine and some even have used it for light production.

ITW which is a holding company owns both Hobart and Miller.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
chevyrestoguy

The Econotig is a decent machine, but it has it's limitations. It's an entry-level TIG, and it does fine on the thinner metals. People buy them because of their price, and then expect it to weld heavy materials, and it's not designed for that application, so they complain. Sure, the high-end Millers weld much better, and it's because they are loaded with many more features like higher amperage, multiple settings and modes, and water-cooled torches. All of this comes at a much higher price, though. If you are a hobbyist, that Econotig will work great. Just let it cool off every once in awhile if you're doing a lot of welding because it'll overheat due to the air-cooled torch versus the water cooled versions on the high-end machines.

Learn how to TIG on your Econotig, then if you want to upgrade later, get a Miller Syncrowave 250. It'll be the last TIG you'll ever buy. Those things are sweet.

Don't overlook the Lincolns or the Hobarts, either. The Big Three (Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart) all make good machines. Stay away from everyone else. You get what you pay for.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
duwem

Keep in mind it has "econo" in the name...

My Hobart mig welder says miller on the gun.
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote