The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
fabnsmitty

6 Cylinder Swap Question

A friend of mine has a 51 3100 with a 216 in it and he wants to swap in a crate 292. He also wants to keep the original style front motor mount if possible with the bigger engine to try and keep it as original looking as possible. Does anyone know if this setup will work or will the front style motor mount only work on the older series engines. Also has anyone swapped in a newer style 3 speed and kept the original shifter on the factory column?
fabnsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 6 Cylinder Swap Question

You could do a 292 But you need a short water pump and I don't know if it has one. You will need to fab up a mount if he want to use the original frame mount. The engine part of the mount is actualy part of the timing cover and you most likely can't interchange the timing covers. You should ask this over on the www.stovebolt.com board. They most likely would know whats needed
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
raycow

Third gen sixes like the 292 do not have a front end plate like the 216/235, so you have no place to bolt the stock AD front mount. If you don't want to run side mounts, look at the tapped holes on either side of the timing cover. I believe you could make a bracket from angle stock that would bolt there and still land on the stock crossmember.

The stock shift linkage should work with any of the 4 bolt 3 speeds if you swap covers, and those were used till 65 on cars and I think 67 on trucks.

Also, check this thread. It covers the same question.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=427879

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 10-29-2010 at 05:37 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
mr48chev

The 292 has a tab with two tapped bolt holes on each side of the front of the block.

You could design and build a horseshoe style mount that would bolt to a stock front motor mount or run a pair of mounts down and use something like the 55/57 biscuit mounts. It's going to take some designing and fabricating but it can be done. I'd probably want to use some stiff cardboard to mock up the first design and after it looks right transfer it to steel.

You can see that the right side tab located just in front of the oil filter makes it easy to setup an engine mount that fastens to the stock front crossmember.

If he is running a Chev 3 or 4 speed trans he can run one of the V8 truck bellhousings that has the mounts. One like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/63-64...Q5fAccessories is what I have in my 48 and they aren't all that hard to find. That will allow him to run the stock rear engine mounts and locate the engine where it needs to be. He will probably have to run the clutch fork that fits and works the best in the truck.

Here is the 250 connected to the truck bellhousing. the 292 will be about 1-1/2 inches taller.

I'm not sure about waterpump clearance. The 292 pump is about 5 inches long out to the end of the shaft from the block.

I think I had to shorten the pump on my 250 when I put it in my truck but it came out of a 74 Pointiac Ventura, I don't have the right radiator in my truck to be able to go out an figure clearances.

I also used a short pulley to make it work.

This is the first time I have ever shown photos of my engine compartment as it sits. 100,000+ miles with the 250 that had 92K on it when I installed it in 1989. Things are a bit nasty but it served as my daily driver and work car during most of that time.

Last edited by mr48chev; 10-29-2010 at 08:06 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
OrrieG

Inliners has a lot of info too.

http://www.inliners.org/
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
fabnsmitty

thanks alot for everyones input/answers on this one, he just wants to be able to figure out everything he can before he goes into his wallet
fabnsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
OrrieG

This tread is old but gets linked to a lot so I wanted to add this information. The picture below shows how I fabbed mounts to use the 55-57 car and truck front mounts that look like they will fit the 292 with front mounts. If the truck is a TF the front mounts should hit the cross member, there are extra holes there that look like they may even work. If not you can drill for the mounts or make a plate similar to mine. Yes I know mine is a V-8 but it shows the basic way to do it. I believe the mounts, and know the bolts and biskets are reproduced.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote