The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
bigrigpardo

wtb dana 60 posi

who has a posi unit for my dana 60 in my 72 c20.
bigrigpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
BCOWANWHEELS

Re: wtb dana 60 posi

you want a trac lock or power lok ?
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
w314speed

I have both a tru-lok for $60 or the Power-Loc $200 plus shipping. Also, I have another Power-Loc that has new GM clutch plates for $325 plus shipping. LMK Thanks, Dan
w314speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
bigrigpardo

ok whats the difference between the two and how hard will it be to get it in?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
w314speed

The tru-lok is a one piece case posi like the 1/2 ton. Don't know if they can be rebuilt, but they have a drift pin that is almost impossible to remove.

The Power-Loc is the holy grail of all posi units. It is a two piece posi unit that bolts together like the old 58-64 GM cars, obviously resembling the big monster unit in the Buicks and Oldsmobiles. The clutch packs are replaceable and probably still available. For a 4X4 truck a Dana 44 with Power-Loc in the front and Dana 60 with the Power-Loc in the rear was the Best of the Best OEM. GMC used Dana 60 in all there trucks and Chevy used the H072, but my Chevy Custom Camper BB truck w/ leaf springs has the Dana 60.

I will get some pics of both units and send them Sun or Mon. Hope this helps. Thanks, Dan
Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
BCOWANWHEELS

power lok is a real posi all else is limited slip. power lok's are hard on rear tires and gas milage also.
trac lok is a limited slip diff and best for street use, not as harsh
Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
BCOWANWHEELS

also you,ll need to know # of splines on axles. clutch pack rebuild kits are $65.00 new now from dana. just bought a set last week. also the best power loks have 1 piece axle gears, the old style have 2 piece gears and not as strong and dont sell for as much. I run power loks in the front of all my d60's I build. also note fiber clutch packs are no longer available from dana spicer, there all steel kits now. you MUST run the additive in the gear lube also.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
bigrigpardo

so is tru lok and tracklock the same thing. and do these take the place of the spiders or are these hole carriers i need to replace. my 72 is a street truck and i want to be able to slide it around corners and a few donuts here and there.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
w314speed

I am attaching pics of the trac-loc and the power-loc. The trac-loc is the one not bolted together. I don't think the clutch packs are serviceable or I've not found them to be. As they wear, they will become ineffective and I can't guarantee this one.

With the power-loc, the case bolts together and the clutch packs are serviceable, a superior unit over the trac-loc.

Installation of either one is fairly easy, but not for a novice.
First, you pull the axle shafts. Remove the differential cover, the two carrier bearing straps and pry the case and ring gear out of the housing. Remove ring gear and install on posi case. Remove old carrier bearings from old case with a bearing removal tool, as there are shims behind the bearings that adjust the carrier bearing pre-load. Install the shims on the same side they were removed and install new carrier bearings. Be careful when installing the carrier in the housing not to cock it in the housing. A brass hammer laid on the bearing cone while tapping with a ball peen hammer works good. Re-install the axle shafts with new gaskets, fill with synthetic gear lube and a container of posi lube. GM is as good as it gets.

Computer won't load my pics from memory card? I'll see if I can do some other way. Sorry. Thanks, Dan
Old 01-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
w314speed

Here are the pics, by the old floppy disc way................
Attached Images