The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
el_guapo

Cool Dropping a square write up/ insights.

Before I begin I would like to thank Jknight for sharing his lowering method. Also big thank you to my boy Mike who really helped with the install. If it weren't for him I'd still be killing myself with the spindles. Haha
Before shots

After

Notice the tijuana interior. Haha

Newer members wanting to learn about dropping their trucks this write up is for you. I will give you an idea of the proccess and share some tips I would use next install. This is a cheap and relatively easy way to go about it. It involves dropping the front end by replacing the spindles and cutting the springs. This has not made a significant difference in the rides quality. Too much chopping up front will.

I ordered a DJM 5" flip kit. And 2.5" lowering spindles. I cut a little more than half of a coil. the front dropped aprox. 3.5" Under 350 shipped from Stylintrucks.com

Using 15" cragers I did run into fitment issues. I had to grind an edge off of the caliper and run washers as spacers. 15's are just while I can buy bigger wheels and to avoid knocking more metal off the calipers. We measured for backspacing on the wheels 3.75 or less is what would be needed to run ur wheels with no modifications.

For those curious this took a solid weekend I'd say 6-8 hours all together. An angle grinder a buddy a couple Jacks and jack stands. The factory spindles were pretty tough take off, the press fitment made it a chore. Other than that the front was straight forward.

Taking the spindles off, man love needed to pry off.

Old vs new spindle

Marking coils. Cut 5/8ths of a coil.

magic

You will need to do some re-greasing Btw

Big booty hoe

The rear went well, we did run into issues with the leafs bolts being crazy tight. We actually disconnected brake lines and managed to fit the axle in between the frame and leafs in order to place the leafs packs under the axle. haha. We pried on the rear of the springs to make the leafs bend enough to fit the drums through.

Angle grinder vs bump stop, I wasn't drunk just looking away because I couldn't find my glasses. This was needed to fit the drums through the leafs/frame.

Next time to pry on the leaf hangers from the back to make room

It's in on one side!

This was a creative alternative to disconnecting the leafs. Unfortunately the rears bushings and bolt have united and become one over time. Haha, The rear wasn't coming with out cutting the bolt/bushing. We did not have enough room to disconnect the pack from the front. Not enough room for a breaker bar plus cheater bar. We did also disconnect the driveshaft for this method.

She's in there like swimwear

Again big thank you to Mike and also these boards for always pointing me in the right direction.
Anthony Z
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by el_guapo; 01-16-2012 at 01:10 AM.
el_guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
muthstryker

Re: Dropping a square write up/ insights.

That looks much better! Such a nice truck, Good job.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
J Knight

Thanks for the props bro, looks great. Did you measure before and after to see what your acctual drop was? It looks like about 3.5 in the front and 6 in the rear due to all those extra leafs. Sits level now. I hope I save you a few bucks.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
el_guapo

Thanks guys! ya I'm pumped about it for sure. Hoping that the front springs will drop a little more, with them being press fitted I have a small chance.
I haven't measured just yet. Im pretty confident I got more than 5 in the rear though, I had about 6.25" inches in between the tire and fender
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
J Knight

I see you grinded a little on the rear bumpstop mount. Did you remove it completely?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_guapo View Post
Newer members wanting to learn about dropping their trucks this write up is for you. I will give you an idea of the proccess and share some tips I would use next install. This is a cheap and relatively easy way to go about it. It involves dropping the front end by replacing the spindles and cutting the springs. This has not made a significant difference in the rides quality. Too much chopping up front will.

I ordered a DJM 5" flip kit. And 2.5" lowering spindles. I cut a little more than half of a coil. the front dropped aprox. 3.5" Under 350 shipped from Stylintrucks.com

Using 15" cragers I did run into fitment issues. I had to grind an edge off of the caliper and run washers as spacers. 15's are just while I can buy bigger wheels and to avoid knocking more metal off the calipers. We measured for backspacing on the wheels 3.75 or less is what would be needed to run ur wheels with no modifications.
Just a few suggestions.
GET RID OF THE WASHERS.
That's a wreck waiting to happen.
If your rim rubs the calipers,... grind them more,... or wait to drive it when you get your new wheels.

In the rear,... remove the entire rubber bump stop and metal bracket.
That will free up the rearend with more vertical travel.
If you want a bumbstop,... add a small one from Energy Suspension.

Good looking truck.
Get the washers off the front wheels before you lose one and hurt your truck, yourself, or someone else.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
el_guapo

Thank you lolife. Great point on the washers, yes this is a band aid. Washers are not for a daily driver. I only drive the truck once a week and will keep a tire iron to check on it. I have tourqed down the wheels at 100lbs. It is my next purchase on the truck to get larger wheels. I will keep the rear bump stops in mind as I drive her. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device