The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
sigshooter

look, how was the inside of the cab painted?

This is a 64 C-10 that I bought from the original owner. He had every registration starting in Nov. of 63 ( now I have them ), he told me it had never been wrecked and it doesn't look to have ever been repainted on anywhere.

The interior fawn color is painted halfway onto the hinges and even onto the edge of the side cowl piece. It looks like GM painted the inside color after it was assembled and with the doors open. Both sides are this way.

OEM4ME what does the hinge area of your trucks look like? Are they this sloppy also?

Anyone else got a truck like this? Is this original?
Attached Images

1964 long bed
1965 long bed Custom Cab, factory air, V-8, powerglide
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
jbgroby

Re: look, how was the inside of the cab painted?

What is the small square door on the lower front bed side for?
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
sigshooter

Add on dual fuel tanks, popular in the 60's and early 70's
Posted via Mobile Device
1964 long bed
Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigshooter View Post
This is a 64 C-10 that I bought from the original owner. He had every registration starting in Nov. of 63 ( now I have them ), he told me it had never been wrecked and it doesn't look to have ever been repainted on anywhere.

The interior fawn color is painted halfway onto the hinges and even onto the edge of the side cowl piece. It looks like GM painted the inside color after it was assembled and with the doors open. Both sides are this way.

OEM4ME what does the hinge area of your trucks look like? Are they this sloppy also?

Anyone else got a truck like this? Is this original?
Oh yeah, slop city. I don't have pics of the hinge area on file, and my trucks are in storage so I can't just go look, but they definitely were not big on masking at the assembly plant. Over-spray galore. I'll get some pics.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I knew people that use to work at the Fremont GM plant back in the 60’s and 70’s, and it was not uncommon for new vehicles to receive sloppy assembly or be involved in an accident during the production process. The main priority was speed of repair, not quality of finish. If a worker ran out of the correct door hinge bolts for example, whatever handy that fit would be cross threaded into place rather than stop the line waiting for the correct fasteners.

One of the worst examples was a car that fell off the carriage going to the 2nd floor paint booth. It smashed both quarter panels which were sliced off and replaced. My friend had taken the day off to “walk” that particular car through production making sure it got the best treatment at every station because it had been ordered by the Best Man at his wedding.

I worked at Peterbilt during the 70’s and witnessed the same level of indifference.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
sigshooter

One of the worst examples was a car that fell off the carriage going to the 2nd floor paint booth. It smashed both quarter panels which were sliced off and replaced. My friend had taken the day off to “walk” that particular car through production making sure it got the best treatment at every station because it had been ordered by the Best Man at his wedding.

I worked at Peterbilt during the 70’s and witnessed the same level of indifference.[/QUOTE]

I worked for our local ford dealership as a service writer for awhile, I looked up my Taurus on Fords computer system and it shows it was damaged during the transportation process and a new roof was installed.... You wont find anything on CARFAX. It was quite extensive damage needed glass, headliner, roof skin and numerous hours of body work time and detail
1964 long bed
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
yelmer

I talked to a guy that worked at the fremont plant from 64-67 . I was at a car show and he saw that my truck was built at fremont . He told me that he installed the engine in my truck back in 66 . He had some good stories of the plant . He told me one time one the the workers order a plain jane 66 truck from the local dealership , they knew it would be built at there plant , so the workers saw the order come through . The truck ended up having v-8 ps pb ac a well loaded truck. The truck made it pass all the stations , except the inspector ( which they did not care for ) caught it, being built wrong . They had to rebuilt another one . He also told me that the truck line was fun to work on because the pace was slower ,they also built cars there as well, which he said was very fast pace mike
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote