The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Maximus

Deluxe heater vs. Standard heater

Okay, I searched and searched and I give up.

Can someone please post a picture of a deluxe and standard heater so i can see the differences??

on another thread tmobile has this photo with others talking about Deluxe heaters, is this half of a deluxe or standard heater?? thanks...

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
TX58

Re: Deluxe heater vs. Standard heater

I think that belongs to the deluxe heater. Here is a pic of my standard heater ( upper part ). Im currently restoring mine and plan to make it work with the deluxe controls.
Attached Images

TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX58 View Post
I think that belongs to the deluxe heater. Here is a pic of my standard heater ( upper part ). Im currently restoring mine and plan to make it work with the deluxe controls.
This is a standard heater. Deluxe heater had a chrome dash control AND a fresh air intake from the fender well kick panel.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Okay, I searched and searched and I give up.

Can someone please post a picture of a deluxe and standard heater so i can see the differences??

on another thread tmobile has this photo with others talking about Deluxe heaters, is this half of a deluxe or standard heater?? thanks...

This is most of a deluxe heater. Its missing the plastic nozzles at the end and a few other pieces. It should also have a chrome dash control
Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
This is a standard heater. Deluxe heater had a chrome dash control AND a fresh air intake from the fender well kick panel.
you may have just made my day... did the deluxe heater use the cowl vent on the passenger side kick panel as a fresh air intake???????

I just bought this heater hoping it was a deluxe, may have done okay - obviously needs alot of parts, but I have been wanting a deluxe box for years
ill post pics in a few

Last edited by Maximus; 01-17-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
you may have just made my day... did the deluxe heater use the cowl vent on the passenger side kick panel as a fresh air intake???????
Yes, It had a plate with a square tube that was screwed next to the kick panel and a wide rubber band that connect to the heater.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Yes, It had a plate with a square tube that was screwed next to the kick panel and a wide rubber band that connect to the heater.
would this mean that a deluxe heater cab would not have the vent flap in the passenger side kick panel? or would the cable-operated flap still be there?

here is a couple pics of the heater box i bought.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
mr48chev

I don't have a lot of experience with the task force heaters but a standard heater usually just recirculates and heats the air in the cab while a deluxe heater can draw air from the outside though the port in the kick panel. I still couldn't tell you what heater the 57 panel I had had in it but it took a long time to bring that box up to a level where you felt comfortable.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with the task force heaters but a standard heater usually just recirculates and heats the air in the cab while a deluxe heater can draw air from the outside though the port in the kick panel. I still couldn't tell you what heater the 57 panel I had had in it but it took a long time to bring that box up to a level where you felt comfortable.
A panel is a large area to heat! haha

anyways I guess ill get to the point, my cab is missing the passanger flap on the kick panel for the vent, I am hoping this is normal? on the deluxe heater cabs. Its probably not normal and i will have to fight a new flap in there somehow but my fingers are crossed...
Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Maximus

Wait, is the deluxe heater fresh air port that plate that is screwed above the vent flap???
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
mr48chev

I can't find a photo of either but the deluxe heater has the chrome faceplate on the control with levers to control the temp and air flow like this rebuilt one on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-19...item4ab2ea63dc

Scroll down this page http://www.diversionmotors.com/1956_3100.html This truck has a standard heater and there is a good photo of the heater and it's control knob. You can also the blocked off plate to the right of the heater that would be where the air inlet hole for the deluxe heater would connect to the kick panel.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
mr48chev

This truck has what is probably an aftermarket heater sold by Pep Boys or some other parts house when the truck was new and delivered without a heater or may have been dealer installed http://www.ecoastcc.com/viewcar.cfm?carid=1184
Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Wait, is the deluxe heater fresh air port that plate that is screwed above the vent flap???
Yes
Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
This truck has what is probably an aftermarket heater sold by Pep Boys or some other parts house when the truck was new and delivered without a heater or may have been dealer installed http://www.ecoastcc.com/viewcar.cfm?carid=1184

yea, I bought one of these types of units a couple years ago for something like $100 I just hated how they looked so much it went back in the box as quick as it came out, i think i still have it on a shelf somewhere and it may end up in my '39 chevy, who knows... but I just couldnt put it in the truck, which is why im so excited that I found a deluxe box to work with...

thanks everyone for the help identifying, and if anyone else has photos of a deluxe box installed or being restored I would love to see them!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #15
57truckguy

Check with Alan in the Vitiamin c10 project, he has a deluxe heater box and loves to post pics... He will know..
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I was able to get two pictures from the 1959 accessories installation manual for the deluxe heater. It shows all the parts you need and how it all goes together. I left them large so you could blow them up and get some detail

http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c...eater/Picture/
Old 01-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
TX58

Im sure he can get it now, nice pics
Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
G&R's57GMC

Here's the deluxe heater in my 57 GMC and a bad pic of my 56 Chevy interior with standard heater.
Attached Images

G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
SHORTDOG99

What is the going on a deluxe heater? I have one that came out of my dad's 57 GMC that i might be selling....just wondering.
SHORTDOG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTDOG99 View Post
What is the going on a deluxe heater? I have one that came out of my dad's 57 GMC that i might be selling....just wondering.
When I was looking for a deluxe heater for my 57 truck one came up on EBay. It came with a junk control and wasn't tested to know if it even worked or not. Someone paid $370 plus shipping for it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
TX58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTDOG99 View Post
Im buying if your selling. I think the deal withthe deluxe is that you can use the delhxe heater controls and get fresh air.