The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
i heart square bodys

bolt issues

when I was removing the bolts to take out my bench seat i snapped 2 of the 4 of them off as well as one of the seatbelt bolts. I have tried a lot of WD 40 and easy outs and they wont budge. heating them up isn't an option because (with my luck) the bolts that broke off were on the same side as the 3/4 full gas tank. some have suggested to drill them out and just put nuts on the other side of the pre-existing nuts , but I don't want to do a hack job on this truck. I considered drilling all of the holes out 1 size bigger and re-tapping them but I have no idea what the bit size would be that id need for both the seat bolts and the seatbelt. also not sure if id need fine or coarse thread.from anyone that's had this problem and solved it, let me know some suggestions. i am 17 and trying to have my truck ready for spring so any help is good ! thanks !
i heart square bodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
broey
Square

Re: bolt issues

I wouldn't really consider it a hack job to run bolts with a big washer on the underside of your cab. Thats how most aftermarket belts fit.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
hatzie

Google "tap drill chart" to get drill sizes for various thread sizes.

Two possible solutions.

1. Drill out most of the meat then cut through to mid-point of the threads with a string saw. This will weaken what's left to allow you to unscrew them. The thread interruption will not affect the thread strength enough to cause trouble.

2. Weld a nut to the top of the bolt. Cool with paraffin wax or a candle. The weld heat will disturb the rust. Wax will wick in and furthur disturb the rust.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
oldschool18

are you putting the bench seat back in or going with buckets, and fill your gas tank up the whole way it wont blow if its full. If you drill the bolts out and go with a nut and bolt setup will be nice cause you wont have to worry about snapping the bolts again.

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB
85 C-10 LWB==SOLD
01 2500 HD

Members Met......2003Silverado (Dave)
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
stroker87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
2. Weld a nut to the top of the bolt. Cool with paraffin wax or a candle. The weld heat will disturb the rust. Wax will wick in and furthur disturb the rust.
I have done this but never used "Paraffin" good to know!
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote