The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
The_BullDog

Need some wheel tire sizing help

Ok so its time to folk up the bills and get some rims. I got a 77 C10 long bed with stockers on it now. Looking at centerlines legend retros. 20X15 in the back and 20X8 or 18X8 for the fronts. I have 3in drop spindles in the front with 1 coil cut. and i got a 5in flip in the rear. I am looking for someone that has experience in what has to be done to get this to work. I am guessing shortining the rear end is in my future cause i want that huge lip. but.. how much should i get cut off? am i going to have to toss my inner wheel fenders in the front to run the 20's or 18's? and am i going to be able to do this without messing with my frame? any idea on what size tires i can run? any help will be great!! help me get this project rollin!
Attached Images

The_BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
J Knight

Re: Need some wheel tire sizing help

I haven't done mine yet but I've ask a similar question about narrowing the rear. What I was told was you need to pic the wheel, tire and back space you want to run, set the wheels in the position (mock up) then measure the wheel mounting surface to wms and cut rear end to fit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
SCOTI

Re: Need some wheel tire sizing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
I haven't done mine yet but I've ask a similar question about narrowing the rear. What I was told was you need to pic the wheel, tire and back space you want to run, set the wheels in the position (mock up) then measure the wheel mounting surface to wms and cut rear end to fit.
Very good advice especially for the extreme 'Pro-Steet' look.

The rears in the 73-87's are approx 63.5" wheel mounting surface to WMS. Another option is 'reverse engineer' & decide your wheel back space from there using a rear out of something different like an 8.8" Ford housing from a fox body Mustang (narrower, comparable in strength to a 10/12 bolt, & easier to find used but already set-up w/gears/posi).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote