The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
L&L70

Need Some Measurments

Hello All,

I think this is my first post and I hope it counts. I have been creeping this site for a while now getting my ducks in a row. I have a bone stock 1970 C10long bed with an I6 and 3 speed. My goal is a truck, that at ride height, looks exactly like the day it left the factory (bias plys and all), but when aired out, it buries the pinch in the dirt. I have alot of questions, but I am initially seeking some numbers before I tear into the frame. I have bought a 1971 chassis for the five lugs and front disks and the convenience of customizing it while driving the other. When I am complete I will swap over the drive train and sheet metal and be back rolling, just lower. This site is a welcomed overload of info and ideas with no lack of talent. All mods will be done in my garage for little to no money. Thanks ahead of time.

Matt

1) How much to lower the cab mounts to flush the pinch the frame rails? (my body mounts and bushings are to far gone to get an accurate measurement)

2) How big of Z to allow the front cross member to touch when the frame does. (this measurement is easy enough, but wondering of any pros and cons to going more or less than even)

3) Should the axle centers be moved front or back to better center the wheels to the openings?

4) Will a basic double convoluted bag have enough travel to go from the ground to stock height?
L&L70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
L&L70

Re: Need Some Measurments

Oh yeah, the pictures. I have already replaced the grille and installed the bumper. My wife and I scrubed it with oxy clean and comet to get it "clean". The last photo is the old oil can opener that was still hanging under the hood.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
67c10rustbuket

I have researched alot about this but i havent got that far on mine so all I can say is I got my info from others on here.

1- Lowering body mounts to lay pinch even with frame on the ground = .75" or 3/4"

2- "Z" or other wise moving the front eng xmember up to lay level = 1.5" or 1 and 1/2"
a porterbuilt dropmember is the best way but I feel you, cant afford one yet either

3- moving wheels front/ back = the above mentioned porterbuilt dropmember moves the front wheels toward the front to center in the fender, also helps clear interference with the tires hitting the firewall. if you are keeping the rear truck arm susp, you may want to move the truck arm xmember forward 1" to center it at drop depends on how it looks to you personally. FYI the truck arms will hit the frame (interfere) before it lays out, either use a 4 link or "Z" the rear up to clearance this.

4- lift to stock height = Doubt it, the rear maybe close if you mount the bags up closer to the pivot of the truck arms.

Again this is just info I have gathered here and I have not gotten that far on my truck. I gathered this info from several other builds on here, so it is what it is for info

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car

Last edited by 67c10rustbuket; 01-16-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: duh typo brain is asleep
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
L&L70

Quote:
Again this is just info I have gathered here and I have not gotten that far on my truck. I gathered this info from several other builds on here, so it is what it is for info
That is what I have done. I just figured it wouldnt hurt to ask in mass before jumping in. I should have tailored question 4 to the front end as the rear can be adjusted.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
hugger6933

I don't know nothing about lowering trucks and I am to old to start all of that it is a yong mans fancy. I don't want to have to bend over to get in my truck. But I would like to welcome you to the website here you will find a wealth of info on all sorts of trucks layed or lifted or stock. Once again wecome from eastern Arkansas
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Also welcome from Central Florida! I'm a static drop kinda guy so not much help.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
L&L70

Thanks for the welcomes! I had a 72 GMC that was static dropped and loved it. Always wanted to lay out and figured what the heck. As a concrete truck driver, I can plan on having the next couple of months off due to weather, so it's a great time to start a project.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
L&L70

I just noticed it says my post has been moved? I could have sweared I posted it in the same spot it is at now. I am a rookie. lol
Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
L&L70

Come on guys. After reading tons of posts for months, I need a little assurance on my notes. I know you guys have experience in all this.

Matt
Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
67c10rustbuket

I think everyone is asleep today. Anyone with experience that can confirm or answer the mans question better ??

PS I love the bottle opener option, never seen that one before

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
67c10rustbuket

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485504

I would ask this guy - quandelgarage is his user name, either PM the guy or just ask in his thread. looks like he has done similar to what you are asking. he also Z'd the rear frame rails up behind the cab to lay it out with the stock truck arm rear suspension. He is online now. later

Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
sanford66

Leavenworth, your only about 20 minutes from me. I live in Atchison Ks. . Not sure what measurements you need but i could always bring my stock 72 your way some time. Seems like i'm the only one in this area that drives a 67-72. I'm usually not working on Sundays and always open for a road trip. If i can help you out pm me. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
L&L70

Well hello Joseph,

It makes me wonder who all is "close" to us. I kind of wish there was a search feature. I use to do alot of remodeling work up in Atchison and that happens to be where my family is from. Know any Burge's up there? My current job takes me up there about once a week now. As far as my measurments, I will probably just take a day in the basement and see what I can figure out on my own with a tape measure and a floor jack. Thank you 67c10rustbuket, I was actually loking at his build again last night. I have already lowered my cab mounts and probably start on the front end soon.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&L70 View Post
Well hello Joseph,

It makes me wonder who all is "close" to us. I kind of wish there was a search feature.
from the home page click on "forums" second from the left on the tool bar. scroll down to "regions" select "United States" when that forum opens select your state from the sub forum categories and there you go a bunch of kansas people.

I had fun with those rivets yesterday too! mine was the bellhousing xmember. Later
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
sanford66

L&L70, i am familiar with the Burge's. I work at the foundry with J.R. Burge, not sure if he's any relation to you though. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote