The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
blkcorvair

Vent window refurbishing review

I decided to post my experiancxe thus far in repairing my vent windows. This is just my experiance as far as how well the parts fit, not how to repair them. (there are many threads on here concerning that, which I felt very helpful.)

So far I have half finished the driver's side window. The Weatherstripping I received from GMC Pauls is top notch! Looks identcal to what came off and fit very snug!

The small frame rivets and the tool I recieved from Classic Parts works well.

The replacement Window Handle I got from Classic parts is okay. The chrome and finish seems very nice. This kit was fairly cheap so a few minor tweaks seemed worth it. The hole in the hanle was a bit smalled than the original and did not fiir over the stud that came in the kit. I had to slowly open this up with a die grinder bit in my electric drill til it fit. The original window had two black fiber type washers and the new kit came with only one orange fiber washer. the orange one looks bad so I tried to re-use the two original black ones, but it would only work with one. Not the end of the world. the roll pin diameter that came in the new kit was too big. I couldnt even get it started. teh original one was a little loose going in, but once installed was nice and snug.

Finally the Pivot rivets that attach the vent window at the top pivot point. These were from Classic Parts. Dont like em at all. The step is too long and leaves the window very loose when done. Plus they are Zinc plated, not Stainless like the original ones.

Currently Im trying to find a good repo or original rivet for that Pivot ponit. I think Ill start to pean the next one over with a Center puch first as well, as the Pivot rivet split with the supplkied tool.

Hopefully this info is useful to someone else down the road and Ill update the post with all of the final parts I use and what works.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Markedz

Re: Vent window refurbishing review

Did you ever find out where to get a good rivet for that wing window hinge point?
Markedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
blkcorvair

MBGMIKE from here on the forums is sending a few for me to try. I did finish assembling the Drivers Sde Last Night. The small rivets dont hold the frame to the division bar very tightly. So I used Stainless Pop rivets there and they hold very well. I did use the original type rivets in the Rubber strip. I also cleaned out all the old felt in the division bar and replaced with some from GMC Pauls. Fit and looks very well. I did not rivet tha in. Just used some 3M Super weather strip adhesive.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Markedz

Thanks for your reply. I am also trying to find a rivet that works in the vent window hinge point. Actually... I also need a passenger side vent window, my post just sheered off.
Markedz is offline   Reply With Quote