The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #26
SBTork
Garage wrench

Re: Project Larry2

she's coming along nicely!

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #27
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Last thrusday I had some buddies come over and with some pizza and some coke we cranked out a bunch of stripping.... paint stripping that is... cuz the other way would be weird.... and a bit gross..... yeah..... here are the pics.

This side didn't get as much attention, that is for tonight.

The roof is all done:

This is the side that got the most attention.

The plan is to put it in the garage tonight, get as far as possible on the stripping, finish it off tomorrow, and then mask it off. Get it sprayed before the bad weather that is due this week comes in. I will be swapping out the windshield gasket too. The PO apparently put in the rubber without a lock strip or the chrome trim so I bought a new one that doesn't have the lock strip space to replace it. (The duct tape is there since the rubber isn't holding the glass in real well!)

-Panelrodder
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #28
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelrodder81 View Post
The plan is to put it in the garage tonight, get as far as possible on the stripping, finish it off tomorrow, and then mask it off. Get it sprayed before the bad weather that is due this week comes in.
Well, that didn't happen... even close. But the truck is finally totally stripped and parts of it are in self etching primer until I can get it in full primer.

Pics:

We pulled the windshield to replace the gasket with the correct one, one without the trim that the truck never had. While it was out we cleaned up the window channels also the leading edge/top of the dash.

Hope to get the whole truck into self etching primer and then prep it out for a full coat of high build primer.

-Panelrodder
Old 10-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #29
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

The windshield broke during re-installation, damn. But I got it taken care of later at Technaglass.

This is what the truck looks like right now with the glass and a full coat of self etching primer out of my office window.

Updated news for the truck, looks like I'm gonna moving to a 283ci motor with four barrel and a 700r4 transmission! Pretty excited about that. Once the i6 is out and the four speed too I will also swap the front suspension for the 75 xmember I have in the garage waiting. Do it all at once.

Gonna try and shoot for the first weekend in November to start that swap.

-Panelrodder
Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #30
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Got my new-to-me motor. Its a 283 sbc that will be mated up to a 700r4. Here is a pic after I got it cleaned and a coat of ultra high temp silver paint on it.

and another

I painted the valve covers, water pump pulley, and the air cleaner red. Here is a preview with the parts just sitting on the motor.

Installation is planned for this weekend along with my new front suspension clip from a 75 Chevy truck. I get to work from home all next week so if I don't get it done over the weekend, which is likely to be the case, I won't have to worry about not making it in to work! I will do my best to get pics along the way but I have a few friends coming over to help so I'm hoping it will go fast which might keep me from getting detailed pics.

-Panelrodder
Old 11-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #31
McMurphy

We lubs da pics!!

Good progress man, congrats on the engine!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #32
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

So this weekend didn't go NEARLY as smoothly as I had hoped. Noticed I said 'hoped' rather than 'planned' because hoping seems to carry less jinx-ability than planning!

Got the motor and trans pulled.

Motor Prep'd and ready for chains.

Chained and moving.

Just about out.

And on the ground.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #33
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

More pics:

Here is the front suspension clip removed.

Front end in the air all stripped down.

Blurry engine bay. Notice the brake M/C is gone. Going to install one from an 85 Chevy Blazer that is one the shelf.

The new clip ready to go back in.

Don't have a wide pic of the clip installed but I have this pic of a problem I found. The frame rail on the 61 is shorter than the 75 so I have gap for the motor mount bracket. My thought is to cut the bracket and reweld after removing the unneeded height.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #34
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Summary: The motor and trans came out with nearly no problems. The xmember came out with massive problems. It took nearly the whole day to just get that out. The new one went in with way less issue but is only partially installed. Currently there are only three bolts on either side out of the seven that should be on each side. Yes, I am planning to address this but I ran out of time on Saturday night and my Sunday wasn't mine at all this week so tonight, Monday, is the first time I will be able to get back to the project. (I had to get a ride to work today from my boss!)

Plan: 1 - Get as many bolts back in the xmember as possible and then for good measure run some weld beads everywhere I can get to to with the welding torch.
2 - Cut and weld the motor mount brackets and then install the motor mounts
3 - Get Motor and trans in place and position the trans xmember. Measure for drive shaft.
4 - Mount Trans xmember
5 - Install drive shaft
6 - Install exhaust
7 - Hook up everything and button up install

Am I missing anything??? (Keep in mind that I realize this is an overly simplified list when making suggestions!)

-Panelrodder
Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #35
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Modified the motor mount stands, towers or whatever they are called. Here are some pics of the process I went through... for right or wrong.

Unmodified:

Top cut off and sat in place:

Both sides cut down and ground for a tight fit but will need filler:

Don't laugh at my welds please...! Filler piece in place before grinding:

Ground down and in place:

Other pics:

Motor going in:

Another:

Pic of this morning of it all in place but not totally bolted in, ran out of time last night. You can also see the brake booster I installed yesterday in this pic:

The rest of the install will involve the trans xmember, cooler lines, brake lines, and hooking up the engine.

Oh, and I degreased the engine bay, cleaned it up a bit and hit it with some black paint, looks way better! Best looking part of the truck is under the hood!

-Panelrodder
Old 11-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #36
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quick update:

Motor is all in and hooked up. Had a few little set backs like I needed a starter, had issues getting the alternator bolted on, and few other small things that set me back a bit. Then I had to leave on Friday night for a day out of town which set me back a lot.

Currently the truck runs though. In fact with some gas in the carb the motor fired on the first crank! (It had been sitting for two years too) Only thing that kept me from actually running the motor up to temp was the canister oil filter. It apparently didn't seal good enough when I installed it and blew oil out all over. It also torn the seal that came with the filter so I have some RTV on there now drying from last night. Hope to fire it up tonight and see what happens. But as backup I have an oil filter conversion kit coming, the Wix 24061 specifically, to convert to modern spin on style filters.

The driveshaft will be done tomorrow and then I have to lock down the steering box and the brake lines and then on test and tune mode. Pics and vids coming as I get them.

-Panelrodder
Old 11-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #37
McMurphy

Did you have a stock cross member for your transmission?
If not what one did you use?

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 11-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #38
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Did you have a stock cross member for your transmission?
If not what one did you use?
I used a stock unit from a later model 75 chevy. It didn't work quite like it did when I did the same thing on my 64 because of the x frame section between the rails. I will try and get a pic for you though.

-Panelrodder
Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #39
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Ok, so the motor is in and running. The brakes are basically done. Here is a video clip of the motor running with some idiotic narration by myself.

Bad news, the shop I've used a few times before for drive lines finally made a mistake. Not sure what happened yet though and since it I found out when I tried to install the line on Saturday and they aren't open that day, I can't find out until tomorrow.

I'm also struggling to wrap up some of the final details like get the column shifter working properly and get the steering box wrapped up. Just fatigue I'm guessing.

-Panelrodder
Old 11-28-2011, 02:12 AM   #40
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Well it finally moved out of the garage and around the neighborhood... a few times! Have to do some fine tuning and install the trans tunnel but it should be ready for some test runs shortly. Pics and vids coming tomorrow.

-Panelrodder
Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #41
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Parked on the street this morning:

After having driven it around the neighborhood a few times and letting it sit all night i was supremely surprised to find not a single wet drop under the truck! (The spots under it now that you can see are dry and from the leaking 292.)

A pic of the dash as it sits now with the new column, column shifter, and steering wheel:

A pic of the shifter linkage. Started with stock pieces from a normal chevy truck and modified as required. The pivot point welded to the frame rail is a 13mm socket!

This is a pic of why my wife is pissed about this project:

and another:

Oh well it was fun! More pics and driving vids as I get it tightened up and tuned in.

-Panelrodder
Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #42
McMurphy

Congrats on moving under your own power once again!

I have to admit tho, I am uncertain to why you have a pissy wife.
Is it because there is grease and tools in the kids play room, or because the kids left their toys in your garage??

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 AM   #43
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Congrats on moving under your own power once again!

I have to admit tho, I am uncertain to why you have a pissy wife.
Is it because there is grease and tools in the kids play room, or because the kids left their toys in your garage??

Thanks! And its because there are three car bays in the garage and I have had all three of them... and the floor is nasty which is bad for the obvious reason but also because its a rental!

-Panelrodder
Old 11-30-2011, 02:47 AM   #44
mikesC10

Nice quick work! Could you share more on the brake booster and steering column install. Thanks!
mikesC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #45
McMurphy

Quote:
Thanks! And its because there are three car bays in the garage and I have had all three of them... and the floor is nasty which is bad for the obvious reason but also because its a rental!

-Panelrodder
Ahhhhh gotcha!
You know that if you put down kitty litter and grind it in with your foot, sweep it up and then give it a little scrub with Dawn dish soap you can get ALL of that oil and grease out, yes?

If by chance you tracked any of it in and on the carpet to the bathroom (my biggest culpret because there is tile to the beer storage unit in the kitchen...) then you scrub in some Dawn the day before the carpet cleaners come and it will all come out too.

Dawn works on grease and oil so well because it is petroleum based.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #46
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesC10 View Post
Nice quick work! Could you share more on the brake booster and steering column install. Thanks!
I didn't really take a lot of photos of either! I could go back and see what I can take with it all installed. Did you have specific questions?

The brake booster was easier than I thought it would be though. The booster I had came with the firewall brackets and while Captain's bracket is great, my dad used one, I figured I'd just run the stock brackets. From there I just drilled and mounted it to the firewall and then did a series of measurements for the plunger rod. Cut the pedal rod and the booster rods and welded em together... very well together, and then installed. The hardest part was all brake lines, but I don't have a good track record with them. My panel truck was just a mess of fluid and wasted line before I finally got it sealed, it still doesn't look very good though.

The steering column was even easier actually. The column is from a 70's truck, 76 I think, and other than having to cut off some welded on nuts, it slid in place just fine. I did have to kind of combine the steering rod between the column snub end and the rag joint into the 61 rag joint since I was running the stock steering box. I will try and get some pics for you tough to illustrate my comments.

-Panelrodder
Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #47
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Ahhhhh gotcha!
You know that if you put down kitty litter and grind it in with your foot, sweep it up and then give it a little scrub with Dawn dish soap you can get ALL of that oil and grease out, yes?

If by chance you tracked any of it in and on the carpet to the bathroom (my biggest culpret because there is tile to the beer storage unit in the kitchen...) then you scrub in some Dawn the day before the carpet cleaners come and it will all come out too.

Dawn works on grease and oil so well because it is petroleum based.
I know about the kitty litter thing, I just haven't gotten any yet. But the Dawn soap stuff is interesting. I will have to try it. Do you just mix it up like you are washing your car or squirt it directly on the ground out of the bottle?

-Panelrodder
Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #48
McMurphy

Quote:
I know about the kitty litter thing, I just haven't gotten any yet. But the Dawn soap stuff is interesting. I will have to try it. Do you just mix it up like you are washing your car or squirt it directly on the ground out of the bottle?

-Panelrodder
You will get the best results for the stains on the floor if you pour straight from the bottle and use a little bit of scrub brush on it to work it into the pores of the floor.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #49
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Well, thanks to all who watched and contributed to this build but I had to let the suburban go.

No exciting reason and I'm disgruntled that its gone but its gone and done. So on to something else and also focus on the 53.

-Panelrodder
Old 01-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #50
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

We all have to do what we have to do.
More energy to give to your 53.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035