The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
shrike

turn signal switch replacement plus

So a few weeks ago I decided to make a new rear wiring harness because the old one was really brittle and I had a taillight the was intermittent.
I ordered new pigtails for the taillights and side markers and pulled the whole harness off. When I got it all built and reinstalled I found that one of the turn sigs wouldn't work when the brakes were on. A little research here showed that it was most likely the turn sig switch. Since springs were missing and the hazard didn't work, I decided to replace it.

One thing led to another, and I ended up stripping the steering column down (without pulling it), cleaning it, painting it, and lubing it. Since it was easier to hook up the wiring with the instrument panel out, I took that opportunity to replace the autozone headlight switch (made in china) with a NOS headlight switch I found online and install the wiper delay switch i had bought from JC Whitney

here is a pic with the new switch installed:

and after everything was put back together:

Just fyi, I replaced the autozone headlight switch because the panel lights wouldn't work some of the time and it just felt like it was falling apart (it was only a year old) the new (old stock) switch has a much more "quality" feel to it and the panel lights seem to be working 100% now.

the wiper delay switch is working, but with no rain I haven't had an opportunity to give it a field test
Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
MikeyMan

Re: turn signal switch replacement plus

Nice Job!

I have a couple questions. Where did you get your TS switch? What was the part number & cost, and does it come with the hazard knob? I've seen them listed for Tilt or Non-Tilt, is there really a difference?

My 72 is missing the hazard knob. I've had it apart, but did not see where it would attatch or be repaired. I did not want to mess with the wiring at the time. Not going to remove the column and was concerned about fishing the harness through. After researching the posts on this site, I feel like I can get it done.

An issue I have is my column is not original. It is a Tilt, possibly from a van. PO converted original 6/manual to a 350/350 with floor shifter. Tilt column was from an AT, shifter and indicator have been shaved off. No nuetral safety or back up lights.
Turn signals and brake lights worked properly last time I drove it. The truck is somewhat disassembled right now, and won't be fired up until spring. I think I'll need the hazard lights for my future breakdowns!

I'm hoping the turn signal switch assemblys' are all pretty much the same.
Any advice or insight on this topic will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
shrike

Hey, Ill do my best to answer your questions. Maybe Longhorn Man will weigh in, he is pretty knowledgeable.

I spent some time looking up the correct TS switch for my truck and when I had a part number (ACDelco D6216 Switch Assembly), I googled it and actually found the best price thru Amazon (about $30). Local auto parts wanted anywhere from $50 to $80.
It came with a hazard knob, but it was the knob that comes on later model trucks (you can see it in the top picture). I understand some of the truck sites carry the switch with the original hazard knob, which is red and shaped differently. I wasn't concerned with that.

It's my understanding that there is a difference between tilt and non tilt switches, but I don't know how significant the difference is.

On every GM steering column Ive seen, the hazard knob screws into the switch thru a hole in the column opposite the turn signal stalk. Ill try to take a pic tonite when I get home from work.

I'm not sure how wide a range the turn signal switch covers, hopefully someone else with a little more insight will chime in!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
MikeyMan

Thanks shrike!

Your ACDelco D6216 crosses to a Borg Warner BWD S3237 which is what Pep Boys supposedly has for $32. I think I'll go there and give it the look-see. I too have seen the price vary from $30-ish to near $100

The hazard knob on yours looks fine. That may even be correct for my column. If it's easier to install, I'm all for it. It seems like others have had difficulty putting in the one with the red knob.

If you can post any pics, that would be great.

Was your TS switch the complete assembly? Or did you have to use or re-use other components?

My main concern was feeding the harness through the column. I believe I can do that once the pins are separated from the plug.

If anyone could explain any differences between Tilt and Non-Tilt in the turn signal switch it would be a great help, Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
MikeyMan

Hey shrike,

Did your switch have the light bulb socket for the indicator?

My tilt column had the bulb socket in the switch, but I do not need it since the indicators are shaved off (AutoTrans w/floor shifter now). I cut the bulb socket off to make it easier to re-install the existing switch. I had the whole switch assembly loose, but could not find the hazard button connection, so I just put back what I had.

Does anyone know the differences between the Tilt & Non-Tilt Turn Signal Switch?

Last edited by MikeyMan; 01-21-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
shrike

Hey Mikey,
sorry so long to reply.
Here are a couple of pics of the hazard switch

with the button on:

and one with the button off:

My switch was complete, I didn't have to re-use any of the old parts and because I pulled the turn signal housing and the shift lever housing off, I was able to remove the piece on the bottom of the column that the wires run thru. This allowed me to run the new wires without having to disassemble the plug.

No bulb socket on my switch, my indicators are up on the instrument panel.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
shrike

Update: lots of rain, so I got to test out the wiper delay switch.

CONS
1). Its a little bulky and really only easily mounts on top or bottom of the dash.
2). The delay times are marked on the dial with 2 at the beginning and 20 at the end. In reality, the smallest increment (on mine) is about .5 seconds and the longest is 9-10 seconds.
3). Every time the delay switch activates, it clicks audibly and the small LED on the face glows briefly.
4). If you turn the wiper switch off but leave the delay switch on, it will click/glow every time the wiper would have activated.

That being said, I love it. It has worked reliably so far and is miles better than the factory off/slow/fast settings.
I mounted it under the dash on the left side of the instrument cluster. out of my way, but easy to reach while driving.

Also, just to weigh in about the NOS headlight switch I installed:

when I bought the truck, the switch worked intermittently so i replaced it with one from autozone. Right away I had issues with this switch. As soon as I installed it and put the inst panel back on I went to put the knob back in the switch. It went in, but wouldnt catch and when i went to turn the headlights on the knob pulled right out. It took a few tries to get it to catch and even after it was working, it felt...soft. Like it was really old. Also the instrument lights wouldnt work all of the time (mostly when it was cold). After driving the truck for a while, you could usually get them to come on by fiddling with the switch for a bit.
I did some reading and pulled the instrument cluster, cleaned contacts, installed a separate ground. No change.
The new switch fixed all of that. Nice snap when you turn the lights on, no issues with the knob, panel lights have worked 100% of the time and they are noticeably brighter.