The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
paintman

Re: MII installation in AD truck questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Are the frame rails square ? Not in the usual X pattern corner to corner but when viewed from the front are the rails parallel to each other l____l and not sucked in just a bit.

From the way the level sits on them on top it looks like they are about as close as you can get but some guys have run into problems after welding in the boxing plates.

The unit that Scotts sells is a first rate piece and is beautiful to look at plus the one on one service but people have to remember that it may not be in everyone's budget. When a guy is asking about a 700.00 crossmember kit it usually means that his budget allows for a 700.00 kit and not a 2500.00 + kit. This may or may not be the case here but it is something to thing about before throwing out suggestions on any component of these trucks. We have guys with under 5k truck build budgets and we have guys with 100K truck build budgets but one can't be expected to use up a large part of the budget for one part.
I have already spoken with Justin about this, I have absolutely no complaints about his product (I spent about $2800 on it) its a first class piece. He told me (and I agree) its because the frame tapers slightly front to back. He suggested as his crew does, just slide a filler piece in the gap and weld in in. This is what I am going to do later today now that I have the final fitment done. I was just curious as to what solidaxel did with his unit. I am somewhat of a newbie at this and was just looking for alternative ideas if there where any. In fact my next door neighbor owns a body shop and builds hot rods on the side for people, he told me that my unit is one of the best he's seen.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
paintman

I should have added that the cross member fit almost perfect (a press fit) right out of the box! I just had to make a slight adjustment to level the cross member in conjunction with the finished stance of the truck.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
upon1

I put the Scotts super slam on my truck too. I remember filling that gap on mine as well. The piece fits really well and is a top notch product.
Posted via Mobile Device
upon1 is offline   Reply With Quote