The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
skidpan

big or little wheels?

I am still towards the very end of my planning stage, but I'm not sure what direction I'm wanting to go. I've got the caddy northstar engine with a built 700r4 for powertrain. Not positive on a color yet, but like the idea of a pearl white. For wheels should I run steelies with ww tires, escalade 17 inch with white walls, or a 22, or even 24 inch wheel? I found a damn nice set of new 22s that may fit, but may need spacers to fit the hub. I can get them with tires for just over 1400... Any sugestions guys? Maybe pics of your large wheel setups
Posted via Mobile Device
skidpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
scottofksu

Re: big or little wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidpan View Post
I am still towards the very end of my planning stage, but I'm not sure what direction I'm wanting to go. I've got the caddy northstar engine with a built 700r4 for powertrain. Not positive on a color yet, but like the idea of a pearl white. For wheels should I run steelies with ww tires, escalade 17 inch with white walls, or a 22, or even 24 inch wheel? I found a damn nice set of new 22s that may fit, but may need spacers to fit the hub. I can get them with tires for just over 1400... Any sugestions guys? Maybe pics of your large wheel setups
Posted via Mobile Device
1st of all, as a former tire shop manager, I must tell you what I told all my customers: "Baring anything else, the larger the rim/smaller the sidewall the rougher she's going to ride".

Furthermore, this is my personal opinion, for large tires (20+) to look good on these trucks they need to be lowered considerable. Just my opinions about a topic that YOUR opinion should really win the day...

As for me, I'm going with 18's or 19's to clear brake components and that is the largest I want to go and I'd prefer the 18's over the 19's...

Good luck friend!
scottofksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
skidpan

I prob should have mentioned. I am bagging the truck. I have a pb step notch, 21/2 drop spindles, I've plated the torsion bar lowers. Not sure how low ill be able to get, but eventually it will lay frame
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
scottofksu

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidpan View Post
I prob should have mentioned. I am bagging the truck. I have a pb step notch, 21/2 drop spindles, I've plated the torsion bar lowers. Not sure how low ill be able to get, but eventually it will lay frame
Posted via Mobile Device
On that note... Carry on then, the world is your oyster! The picture below is what I have in mind for when big rims look REALLY good...
Attached Images

scottofksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
chevyrestoguy

I'm a fan of big AND little. Big on the back, little on the front. Makes it a lot easier to tuck the wheels in the front when you're aired out. Plus, I like the street machine look.

I'm really interested in seeing how the Northstar engine works out in a RWD configuration. That's a cool engine, and you can pick them up super cheap, compared to the LS motors, which are also a great motor candidate. You can make great power and have good mileage to boot. The LS isn't the prettiest engine, but how often do you drive with the hood OPEN?

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottofksu View Post
1st of all, as a former tire shop manager, I must tell you what I told all my customers: "Baring anything else, the larger the rim/smaller the sidewall the rougher she's going to ride".

Furthermore, this is my personal opinion, for large tires (20+) to look good on these trucks they need to be lowered considerable. Just my opinions about a topic that YOUR opinion should really win the day...

As for me, I'm going with 18's or 19's to clear brake components and that is the largest I want to go and I'd prefer the 18's over the 19's...

Good luck friend!
I prefer the old school stock steelies. Just a preference. And you can clear disk brakes with 15" stock rims too.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
skidpan

I scored the engine in a trade. Actually got the entire front clip of a caddy, and an extra running engine. In the beginning I was thinking I was going to have to have to get an adapter for engine to trans. Turns out the northstar with the exception of the lower right hole bolt up to a chevy 60 degree v 6 bellhousing. Soo the 700r4 out of a 2.8 s10 will work. Im building the trans to support the stock 300hp and then some more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
jocko

I'm with 63 C10, stock steelies all the way. One clarification though - stock 15" steelies from a 60-66 truck will not fit over disk brakes - if you're staying six lug, you'll need 71 and up 15" 6 lug wheels to clear the caliper. These were the stock wheels on 71-87 K10s. Stock 60-66 15" wheels have a taper on the inside that will interfere with the caliper.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote