The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
jkrenzel

NEED input for this truck

Found this truck - it's got a couple of issues but, please send your input I want to buy this week!! I am motorcycle man normally, but I want a old truck again. The guy wants $1500, but to see what he would do I offered $850, he came back with a bottom line of $1200, what do you guys think?

1965 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup. It's powered by a L6 engine with a 3-speed manual column shift transmission. This vintage truck features aluminum wheels and an AM/FM/CD stereo. Starts and runs with the odometer displaying 78,878 miles.

Repairs: The truck is rusting in several areas. Engine will only run while being fed fuel directly into the carburetor. Front turn signals do not work. There are areas of body work which are patched up. Kick panels, floor panels, lower portion of cab on right side, right rear fender, and doors all have Bondo patches. Tires are weathered. The rear bumper is bent where the ball is. The bed boards are rotted and a piece of steel has been welded in the box. The transmission is hard to shift. Window seals are weathered (rear window seal is coming out in one corner. The truck has various points of wear, additional replacement parts, and some missing parts. Truck will need to be towed.

jkrenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
jkrenzel

Re: NEED input for this truck

what would make this happen "Engine will only run while being fed fuel directly into the carburetor"/ carb needs to be cleaned or bad fuel pump??
Old 01-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
jbon64

if i were in your shoes i'd offer 900 and stay put. 1200 for a vehicle that needs towed sounds a tad steep IMO

64 nova wagon , 63 nova convertible
jbon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
dtkarst

Could be bad fuel pump or bad lines. Carb may need rebuilt due to sitting around and the floats are stuck. If you do buy it try undoing your fuel lines and blowing air through them, helped with my truck. But check the carb, lines and fuel pump. Thats just my opinion hope it helps. I would have to agree with jbon64 with the offer. Probably higher than I would offer around where I am from, but these trucks are all over from old farm trucks. Going to look at 2 of them today (like i really need to haha) Good luck!
dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
jkrenzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbon64 View Post
if i were in your shoes i'd offer 900 and stay put. 1200 for a vehicle that needs towed sounds a tad steep IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkarst View Post
Could be bad fuel pump or bad lines. Carb may need rebuilt due to sitting around and the floats are stuck. If you do buy it try undoing your fuel lines and blowing air through them, helped with my truck. But check the carb, lines and fuel pump. Thats just my opinion hope it helps. Good luck!

Thanks !! Towing is the easy part and new carbs are only $300 max, but I am not sure thats what it is.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I don’t enjoy being a wet blanket, but I’ve made enough expensive mistakes to detect which ones should most likely be avoided. Personally I wouldn’t be concerned about how much to offer. I’d save up more money and buy a truck with fewer problems and less rust. When dealing with vintage vehicles, the drivetrain and functionality is relatively unimportant compared to the condition of the body. Mechanical repairs are easy. Bodywork (especially rust repair) can be budget busters.

Judging by what you’ve already indicated, plus the amount of visible rust in the hood, the area over the windshield may also require expensive and difficult repairs. And if this area leaked, it’s likely the floors, cab corners, rockers, and cab mounts are all rusted as well.

The check link broke at some time which is what caused much of the damage to the door. If rust areas have already been patched over and so much more is showing, it could turn out that every piece of sheet metal including the cab may be cheaper to replace than repair. I’m not an experienced fabricator so I would pass on this particular truck.

The fuel problem is relatively simple (but not necessarily inexpensive) to fix. It could be the tank is full of crap, the lines are plugged, the filter (if any) is plugged or the carb could need rebuilding or replacement, or all of the above.

If you decide you can go ahead and buy this truck for a price you’re happy with, I’d suggest going over every square inch of the cab inside, outside and underneath - first. Make sure it’s solid enough that your skills can bring it up to a level you’ll be happy with.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
jkrenzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I don’t enjoy being a wet blanket, but I’ve made enough expensive mistakes to detect which ones should most likely be avoided. Personally I wouldn’t be concerned about how much to offer. I’d save up more money and buy a truck with fewer problems and less rust. When dealing with vintage vehicles, the drivetrain and functionality is relatively unimportant compared to the condition of the body. Mechanical repairs are easy. Bodywork (especially rust repair) can be budget busters.

Judging by what you’ve already indicated, plus the amount of visible rust in the hood, the area over the windshield may also require expensive and difficult repairs. And if this area leaked, it’s likely the floors, cab corners, rockers, and cab mounts are all rusted as well.

The check link broke at some time which is what caused much of the damage to the door. If rust areas have already been patched over and so much more is showing, it could turn out that every piece of sheet metal including the cab may be cheaper to replace than repair. I’m not an experienced fabricator so I would pass on this particular truck.

The fuel problem is relatively simple (but not necessarily inexpensive) to fix. It could be the tank is full of crap, the lines are plugged, the filter (if any) is plugged or the carb could need rebuilding or replacement, or all of the above.

If you decide you can go ahead and buy this truck for a price you’re happy with, I’d suggest going over every square inch of the cab inside, outside and underneath - first. Make sure it’s solid enough that your skills can bring it up to a level you’ll be happy with.
Great point going to have to take a better look
Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
k1rodeoboater

for frame of reference...I paid $1800 for mine and I drove it 3 hours home. Mine didn't have near as bad rust damage as that truck too. I'd say it's only worth probably $750-1000 tops. Reason being the cab rust damage I'm betting is more extensive than you think. And if you find bondo, expect there to be a bunch more.

Look at it this way...you have no idea of the state of the engine or trans, drizzling gas into the carb to get it to run isn't going to tell you a whole hell of a lot. Consider the combo to be shot, and likely the rear end needing to be rebuilt. Add in brakes all around, or a conversion, and rust repairs/replacements it will start to add up really quick. Best case you'll have about 2K in repairs, but not paint. Worst case you could be looking at a whole lot more with a new engine and trans combo plus all the aforementioned repairs.

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
T Smith

Lots of rust, walk away...
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote