The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
kenmel

What is this panel called?

Name:  GetAttachment1.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  9.0 KB does anyone know the part number or what the interior metal panel is called that is around the vent in the floorboard? I am replacing both rockers and front floorboards and this panel is rusted out at the bottom where it joins with the floor. I looked at LMC and I can't tell if this is the panel they offer. Also does anyone make a replacement transmission hump? replacement 3 on the tree linkage? The PO changed out the column shifter to a floor shift and now it has a backward shift pattern. Makes it interesting to drive lol Thanks

Last edited by kenmel; 01-28-2012 at 08:28 PM.
kenmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
rbar

Re: What is this panel called?

It's been alot of years, but it seems like my buddy put his on the floor, it was backward, and he was able to change something in the linkage to get it to shift normal.
Posted via Mobile Device
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
kenmel

I am wanting to go back to the original 3 on the tree, just because that is what I learned to drive on and I think it is just cool. I have the lever and column just no linkage and no idea what it would look like for a complete one. The 64 is a 230cid with 3spd if that makes a difference. But if anyone knows how to fix the reversed pattern it would be appreciated in the mean time. Thanks
Old 01-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

With an original 3 speed column shift, the shift arms attached to the transmission side cover point down towards the ground. Most floor shifter conversions require reversing the arms to point up. Not sure what other modifications may have been made, but if you can flip the arms from up to down you should be back to the correct pattern, if you’re using the column shifter.

If you have a backwards pattern with the shifter on the floor, it’s because the arms were never flipped over. This will be one less modification if you return to the column shifter. If you want it to work correctly on the floor shifter, the shifter arms at the side cover need to be remounted to point upward.

Here’s a diagram of the stock 1960 shift linkage. Not sure if anything changed by 1964:

Last edited by markeb01; 01-28-2012 at 09:31 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
MailManX2

I believe the panel you're looking for is the footwell.

Here's the new foot well before it went in and what was left of the original one..

Top Bananna has them for $23 per side..
Why buy something when you can build it for twice the price..

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done...
MailManX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
kenmel

Mailman, if that is the left side that you have, that is it. Do you happen to have the part #? Again Thanks everyone for whatever info you have. Pics help a lot lol
Old 01-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
kenmel

markeb01, so when the arms are turned up to get the right pattern are they angled to the front or rear? These are angled up and to the rear It is probably going to be driven for a while with the shifter in the floor until I can find the linkages. here are some pics of it. 1964 C10 SBW short fleet I traded my 65 Burb 4x4 for it and had a bunch of people say that I got the short end of the deal but I needed a truck for my 10 yr old son's wheelchair. He has severe CP with a siezure disorder and the Burb was just to lifted to easily get him and it in.
Attached Images

Last edited by kenmel; 01-28-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
kenmel

here are pics of the column, looking down through the engine compartment at the linkages and the needed panel. Could the rods be reversed for the shifter or should the linkage just be angled forward for the right pattern? Thanks Everyone for your help.
Attached Images

Last edited by kenmel; 01-28-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
kenmel

floor shifter, engine, and a little surprise that I found under body filler on the rear. Yep duck tape completely covered and primed that has me scared lol but they make that part so...
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmel View Post
markeb01, so when the arms are turned up to get the right pattern are they angled to the front or rear? It is probably going to be driven for a while with the shifter in the floor until I can find the linkages.
When installing a floor shift kit the shift arms on the side cover are generally reoriented exactly opposite the stock configuration. I don't know what year the side cover connections changed, but there are two distinct designs. Early transmissions used round, splined spindles sticking out of the side cover. The shift arms clamped on with a pinch bolt (like what is shown in the diagram above).

Later transmissions use a simpler design. The spindles on the side cover have a rectangular shape ending with a threaded portion. The shift arms have a rectangular hole which slips over the matching portion on the spindle, and are retained with a nut. The following diagram shows a 4 speed transmission since I no longer have any 3 speed instructions, but correctly indicates the later style connection:

If you have the later style just flip the arms over and reattach. Align the shifter by placing both shift arms in the neutral position, center the shifter and adjust the rods until everything lines up.

If you have the earlier type transmission and the stock shift arms remain in their factory orientation pointing down, the pattern correction will require more work. The shift arms that came with the floor shift would have simply bolted on pointing up. To turn the stock arms upside down will require filing a new slot in the bottom of both side cover spindles for the pinch bolts to slide into. This isn’t particularly difficult, but it is tedious. In my youth I always had to do this because I couldn’t afford the expense of a new kit. Just reverse the orientation of the arms, file new slots until the bolts will fit into place, and align the shifter.

You’ll have to decide if it’s worth this much effort while awaiting a return to the column linkage. Another option is to search Ebay for a pair of aftermarket shifter arms, either by themselves or as part of an inexpensive or partial shifter kit. These could be bolted on avoiding the need to modify the side cover spindles.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I just looked at your last batch of photos. You already have the aftermarket shift arms in place, pointing up in the correct orientation so those don't require modification, but they may require significant adjustment. Something must be wrong in how the shifter rods are connected to cause the pattern to work backwards. I'll see if I can find an instruction sheet that shows the whole installation, so you'll have something to compare to determine what needs to be corrected.

Here you go, installation instructions for the Hurst Mastershift. Yours may be a different brand or model, and this is for the later style arm attachments, but the orientation of the shifter arms and rods on your transmission should match what is shown to arrive at the correct shift pattern:

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...0-367-0010.pdf

Last edited by markeb01; 01-28-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
kenmel

right now the pattern is 1st: right and back, 2nd: right and forward, 3rd:left and back, reverse: left and forward. looking at your diagram it looks like my rods should be facing opposite to what they are in my pic, it looks like flipping the rods will put the pattern right. would the stock linkage rods be reproduced anywhere? Thanks

Last edited by kenmel; 01-28-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
MailManX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmel View Post
Mailman, if that is the left side that you have, that is it. Do you happen to have the part #? Again Thanks everyone for whatever info you have. Pics help a lot lol
http://www.topbananaparts.com/servle...y-truck/Detail
Why buy something when you can build it for twice the price..

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done...
MailManX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #14
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’ve never seen any reproductions. Your best bet would probably be a junk yard, Craigslist, Ebay, or another forum member. However on this site you must be a subscribing member to post in the want to buy section.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #15
kenmel

thanks. I will be joining as soon as the income taxes comes in lol. I am hoping the weather is nice tomorrow so I can make a trip to the pick and pull. Hopefully...
Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
rideblue00

lmc footwell patch, part number 38-9202 LH 29.95

Classic parts(formerly chevy duty) has it for 21.95

Buy both left and right, youll most likely need em both
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
kenmel

Thanks for all the info guys. Does anyone reproduce the trans hump? I have searched lmc but did not see them. I am also having problems with the gas guage reading full all the time. If I turn the key off and tap the guage it will drop to about a half tank but as soon as the key is turned back on it jumps back to full. I haven't pulled the sending unit yet but checked to make sure the grounding strap was on bare metal. Removed the strap and the guage didn't move. I don't have a way to test the guage and sending unit. Any Ideas??
Old 01-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #18
ConnDemned

It looks like you have the mr. gasket el cheapo shifter, sold at many parts stores. Maybe you could see if you could sneak a peek at the instructions at a store? But it almost sounds like your shift linkages are going to the wrong shift arms on the tranny, maybe switch them around. It seems like when I installed the same shifter in my truck years ago I had it hooked up like yours is and had to switch them around. I only drove the truck a couple of times with the 3speed after that then it was pulled out for an auto.
ConnDemned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #19
kenmel

How hard would it be to swap an auto in? I know where there is an auto column, with a nice wheel and linkages for 60 bucks and the 2speed Powerglide for 75. Both are already pulled.