The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
klieber

Shipping a truck internationally -- how to do it?

Subject line pretty much says it all. I have a buyer who is interested in one of the trucks I have for sale, with the quirk being that he wants it shipped internationally (to the middle east). I'm comfortable handling the payment aspects of the transaction to ensure I don't get screwed there. My question is: how the heck do I ship things internationally? Any companies that folks have used before and can recommend? Any ideas what the costs might be?

Thanks.
klieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
jtp67-72

Re: Shipping a truck internationally -- how to do it?

I've shipped 4 overseas--all the owners arranged from their end--2 went to Los Angeles to board a boat--1 went to Port of Houston--1 went to Jacksonville Fla. Port----There usually is an international shipper and then they sub to a states guy to haul from U to port---Usually takes a month for all paperwork to fly and car to leave----All 4 of mine were real easy as far as payment (wire transfers) The time difference usually is what stretches out the process--Ur going to bed when they are getting up!!! I don't do anything until I have been paid and transfer has cleared! Let me know if U need any more info.....as far as a hauler I didn't keep that info since it was done from their end........jim
Old 02-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
klieber

Thanks -- would love to know at least some ballpark ideas for what it might cost if anyone knows. Google has so far turned up anything from $450 to $8000.
klieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
AusTx68

A couple weeks ago I was looking to ship my truck to Italy. Carex shipping provided the quote below. I received an earlier quote from a different company for $2900. I don't recall the name. Both quotes were for RORO (Roll On, Roll Off). A 20' enclosed container was $3800 (also from a different company).

This quote price included pickup at my home and transportation to the Port in Houston.

CAREX SHIPPING
Toll-Free in USA: 800-859-6474
International: +1-979-705-2415
http://www.carexshipping.com/

We can offer service from door Austin, TX to port Livorno, Italy for $1825 (based on roll-on roll-off ocean shipping). This price includes the inland pick up in USA via vehicle hauler.

At your request we can provide marine insurance:
ALL RISK (covers loss + damage) is 1.5% of the declared value, TOTAL LOSS (covers complete loss only) is 0.75% of the declared value.

For all motorized vehicles US Customs requires the ORIGINAL TITLE. For non-titled machinery or equipment - a Notarized bill of sale.

No unrelated items are allowed inside the vehicles if this quote is based on roll-on/roll-off (ro/ro) service. PLEASE NOTE: this is the requirement by all ro/ro ports in USA (we didn't create this rule).
There's no such rule for CONTAINER service. Please, check the first paragraph of this e-mail for the applicable type of service.

The quote INCLUDES all fees at the origin in USA: documentation, port handling (THC), Customs clearance (except random exam fees), export declaration (AES), fuel surcharge (BAF/EFAF) and ocean freight.
The quote EXCLUDES any overseas destination port fees, unloading, delivery or import clearance charges at the country of arrival. Destination charges are paid based on the local tariff to the unloading port or the handling agents.

___/7_/7_/7____
\::::::::::::::/~~~~

Carex Shipping is licensed by Federal Maritime Commission and has A+ rating with Better Business Bureau
Old 02-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

No details given out, but a local guy I know here specializes in selling to high $$$ Middle-Eastern buyers. He works oilfield jobs in that area & buys & re-sells really good cars as a revenue-generating hobby.

A few months ago he sold a slick 57 Nomad to some dude (prince or sheik ?) who sent a private cargo plane to Houston to meet him there & pick it up. Money transferred in advance, he turned over the keys to the plane's crew, & the car went winging on its' way to its' new home.

The power of money --------- and our $ 3.50 / gallon gasoline bucks in action !!!! Shipping that way probably cost double what the car did, but no messy customs details to fool with at all.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
d4xycrq

Kleiber,

I have shipped two vehicles across the pond. My 2000 F250, and my 1977 Bronco. I arranged the shipment myself. I was stationed in the UK at the time - so the vehicles came this direction, instead of leaving the US. Arranging the shipping was not a big deal. Once I found the name of a shipping company, one call does it all.

AusTX68's recent quote is good. That is less than I paid. But I was probably being boned for being in the UK. (Sales tax alone is 20%)

My vehicles were in the $3000 range for shipping. That was more than the Early Bronco cost, but, hey, they are scarce in PA here. And I had a lot in it.

By the way, I found the shipping company by simply searching online. You'll find advertisments, and webpages. The company I used is in the UK, so it will be no good to you. (I'm sure they would do it, but why hassle with somebody that has a weird phone number 5 or more time zones removed)

Now what JTP says resonates the most: the buyer should be doing all this leg work. I know if I was a buyer, I'd want to be in the drivers seat!

And that insurance that is in CAREX quote? Buy it. I was told that 25% of vehicles shipped are damaged.

And because I mentioned Fords, and to keep this 67-72 related; I did have to ship my 1971 C10. It came from Illinois, and now is in my garage in PA. Matter of fact, I think I'll give her a run today. We had a lot of rain which should have washed away what little salt has been put down this so called winter.

Best regards,

Ray

Last edited by d4xycrq; 02-03-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: clarity
d4xycrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
jtp67-72

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4xycrq View Post
Kleiber,

I have shipped two vehicles across the pond. My 2000 F250, and my 1977 Bronco. I arranged the shipment myself. I was stationed in the UK at the time - so the vehicles came this direction, instead of leaving the US. Arranging the shipping was not a big deal. Once I found the name of a shipping company, one call does it all.

AusTX68's recent quote is good. That is less than I paid. But I was probably being boned for being in the UK. (Sales tax alone is 20%)

My vehicles were in the $3000 range for shipping. That was more than the Early Bronco cost, but, hey, they are scarce in PA here. And I had a lot in it.

By the way, I found the shipping company by simply searching online. You'll find advertisments, and webpages. The company I used is in the UK, so it will be no good to you. (I'm sure they would do it, but why hassle with somebody that has a weird phone number 5 or more time zones removed)

Now what JTP says resonates the most: the buyer should be doing all this leg work. I know if I was a buyer, I'd want to be in the drivers seat!

And that insurance that is in CAREX quote? Buy it. I was told that 25% of vehicles shipped are damaged.

And because I mentioned Fords, and to keep this 67-72 related; I did have to ship my 1971 C10. It came from Illinois, and now is in my garage in PA. Matter of fact, I think I'll give her a run today. We had a lot of rain which should have washed away what little salt has been put down this so called winter.

Best regards,

Ray
Exactly and one other thing It keeps U out of the "where's my car" B.S.---Shipping across the pond is time consuming and everyone gets a little anxious---I was wondering if they ever were going to pick mine up!!!...............jim