The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
chevydriver

front bumper

this is the best site i have found on 47-54 chevy trucks,with that said i need help with cutting the front horns off and making brackets for bumper any help will be appreciated
Attached Images

chevydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
mknittle

Re: front bumper

I can't see anything.lol

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
I can't see anything.lol
He is talking about modifying the front of his donor (s10?) frame so he can mount his bumper. I have a TF truck so I can't help, but I am sure someone has some photos of how they grafted their bumper on after a frame swap.

Do you still have the original frame? Or at least the front end of the frame? I welded the front 'horns' of the frame back onto my truck, to the front of the new frame section ... but my 55' 2nd series is different.

The simplest thing you can do is get a bunch of jack stands or some other devices that can hold the bumper (with the brackets attached) in front of your truck where you want it, and measure from the brackets to the frame. Then go buy some square tube and cut it to length, and weld the tube to your front frame section???

I am more of a mechanic than a fabricator though so let some other people with more experience give you some pointers first.

Again, I am sure someone here has done it but if I had to work though that problem, and I didn't have the original front frame section that's what I would do.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
mr48chev

When I ran the Camaro stub on my 48 I welded a piece of fairly heavy 1-1/2 inch angle iron to the bottom of the frame at the front on each side to bolt the brackets to.

I did pretty much the same as Maximus suggested in that I blocked the bumper up with the brackets on it to see exactly where I needed to place the angle iron.

As far as trimming the front frame horns, it's pretty much trim to fit and you may want to take it slow and figure on trimming more than once to get the clearance for the front sheet metal. I think I had to trim my pan behind the grill a bit but that may not be needed with the S-10 setup.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote