The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
cpavelko

Roll Bar Dome Light

Hey,
I am installing the factory under dash lights and door switches setup in my Blazer since it never had any interior lights and wanted to know if anyone has installed a dome light on there roll bar? Could everyone post some pics / ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
cpavelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
cpavelko

Re: Roll Bar Dome Light

Ok. Maybe I need to ask another question. Please share some examples of interior lights that you are using. I have seen the lights built into the fiberglass cap from the factory. Currently I am installing the underdash lights and a map light mirror from a GM car. Any suggestions for dome lights or cargo light?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
drunkbus

Try this link: http://www.performance4trucks.com/Li...t_pn=RPP769801
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I'm planning on installing some "courtesy lights" in my rear panels I'm going to build that turn on with the ones under the dash...probably mount them either right at the beginning of the panel or closer to the rear bench...it's really based on where the speaker ends up and which one looks asthetically best.

I haven't decided just yet, but I was thinking about going either the ULITE series Round Accent Lights

Or the Deck/Step Light:

With both of them, one would be on each side of course, and if going with Deck/Step light, the light direction would be facing the rear bench.

I don't have a roll bar, and I also have a double wall top, so doing some type of over head light sounds like too much work for me...but I'm interested in your rear view mirror! Got any details/pics on it?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

mine has 2 little 4"X4" camper lights with switches on them monted on the roof. One in the front and one at the back. i work nights so ill try get a pick up tomorrow.
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
cpavelko

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
but I'm interested in your rear view mirror! Got any details/pics on it?
Here is an example of one that is on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-GM-...item3a6e597be7 I would never pay that much for one, but I usually find them at swap meets for under $20 or if I'm lucky in junk yards sometimes. I had a couple from my 70 Buick GS parts collection so I grabbed one to put in the Blazer.
The only issue with them is that they are 12" mirrors which just barely hit the sun visor when they flip down. I don't mind though.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Wow...never saw one of those before...Thanks! That price is a little high guess I gotta look around!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Firebirdjones

You don't see those map light mirrors often, a rarely selected option, my chevelle has one. Prices will be high for them, especially if they are the stainless back, which wasn't used (or was phased out ) passed the 70 model year in most of the GM line because DOT requested it be a mat black finish for glare reasons. There are more mat black map light mirrors to be found than stainless. If you don't care about the stainless, then hunt around and you may find the black back mirrors a little cheaper.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
cpavelko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
You don't see those map light mirrors often, a rarely selected option, my chevelle has one. Prices will be high for them, especially if they are the stainless back, which wasn't used (or was phased out ) passed the 70 model year in most of the GM line because DOT requested it be a mat black finish for glare reasons. There are more mat black map light mirrors to be found than stainless. If you don't care about the stainless, then hunt around and you may find the black back mirrors a little cheaper.
I think I have about 5 sitting in a box but the mirror glass could use replacing and some could use rewiring. The black backs were 1972+ years. The chromed backs were 68-71 GM Passenger cars (Chevelle, Skylark, Lesabre, Impala, GTO etc). I've only seen 12" versions of the map light mirrors but no 10" versions such as mirrors from Camaro's and the GM trucks. I'm sure if you look at any swap meet you can find one. I bought one for $3 once but needed rewiring and the glass wasn't the nicest.

-Chris
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Firebirdjones

71 was the change over year. My 70 formula has the stainless back, but my 71 ventura is black as well as my 72 chevelle. So I don't believe all 71's were stainless. I'm sure some slipped through though. Just throwing it out that black backings are more plentifull and easier to find with the map light.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Wow...never saw one of those before...Thanks! That price is a little high guess I gotta look around!
If ya think that one was priced a bit high, have a peek at this one (link below) that recently ended on ebay. Mel

Ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290652061567...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Firebirdjones

I paid nearly that 2 years ago for an NOS map light mirror for my 69 Z.
The NOS parts are really drying up. That price doesn't surprise me at all.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Bowties View Post
If ya think that one was priced a bit high, have a peek at this one (link below) that recently ended on ebay. Mel

Ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290652061567...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I paid nearly that 2 years ago for an NOS map light mirror for my 69 Z.
The NOS parts are really drying up. That price doesn't surprise me at all.
Man...if that's not surprising, I'm glad I've never wanted to build a "correct" ride...I'd never be able to afford it!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Man...if that's not surprising, I'm glad I've never wanted to build a "correct" ride...I'd never be able to afford it!!!
Pfff, yeah I don't even want to get into what I've spent on NOS parts the last 20 years for that car. $1500 date coded carburator, it just goes on and on. That's why these muscle cars done correctly can fetch $100k. It's just not cheap to put one together and do it right.