The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
savatreatabvr

The "WRONG" Way To Adjust BBC Valves!

I've posted questions on this forum many times and I've gotten some excellent answers to fix what problems I had at the time but my mid 70's BBC 454 still didn't run right until today! Well runs better anyways! I was doing the running adjustment procedure wrong, I was backing off the rocker arms until they clattered and then tightened them until they stopped clattering and then another 1/4 turn and that was it and that why it always ran rough! Today I read an article on the right way to do a running adjustment, I was doing everything right EXCEPT waiting 10 seconds after the first 1/4 turn and turning them another 1/4 turn waiting 10 more and 1/4 turn and 10 more seconds and one final 1/4 turn, after each turn it would run rough until the lifters adjusted themselves and now it runs much better but there's still one thing, I STILL DON'T HAVE BBC POWER! So now I'm wondering if I have timing issues! It's still a great truck no matter what!

I don't care how high gas prices go I'll never own a rice burner!

savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
vegas80step

Re: The "WRONG" Way To Adjust BBC Valves!

I've learned to celebrate the little victories!
also good info to know... thanks for posting..
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

Your prob used to open chambered rect port big blocks with high flow intakes and way better cammed. Not a sloppy just torque bbc in a truck
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
BigBlocksRule

If it's a 70's 454, should be an oval port, low compression build. If you have too much cam, it'll be a slug. I'd check timing...

Learn to adjust 'em with the engine off and you'll make a lot less of a mess. You've tightened yours down to zero plus 3/4 turn, which is where a lot of guys set 'em. Should be fine.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
savatreatabvr

That's a good question, I've got no idea what the 454 has internally because it was in the truck when I bought it, originally it was a 350. The timing tab IS MISSING, I've got it timed by ear good enough for it to run but any ideas on how to fine time it without the tab or can I put another timing tab on it and exactly where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
If it's a 70's 454, should be an oval port, low compression build. If you have too much cam, it'll be a slug. I'd check timing...

Learn to adjust 'em with the engine off and you'll make a lot less of a mess. You've tightened yours down to zero plus 3/4 turn, which is where a lot of guys set 'em. Should be fine.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
beamn7

Well, you could do the old "street timing" method. Have a buddy pop it in drive and power brake it up to about 1500 rpm or so and hold it there. While he's doing that, advance the timing slowly until she starts to ping and back it off a bit.
I would still recommend getting a timing tab for it but this will get you close if not a little advanced....
Be sure to drive and listen for any pinging on heavy load / full throttle....

Last edited by beamn7; 02-03-2012 at 03:33 PM.
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
savatreatabvr

That's the best way I've heard so far, thanks Beamn7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamn7 View Post
Well, you could do the old "street timing" method. Have a buddy pop it in drive and power brake it up to about 1500 rpm or so and hold it there. While he's doing that, advance the timing slowly until she starts to ping and back it off a bit.
I would still recommend getting a timing tab for it but this will get you close if not a little advanced....
Be sure to drive and listen for any pinging on heavy load / full throttle....