The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
gman

Brake shoes, old subject I know

I'm sure its been asked a hundred times but...........

Any preferences on brake shoes for a '72 4x4? Is there any particular kind to stay away from or ones that are best? What should I replace while I'm at it. I know to finish one before starting the other side but any suggestions or things to watch for is appreciated. Like lessons learned, I guess. Looked in FAQ section. Thanks
Old 09-04-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

With brake shoes, you usually get what you pay for. Don't go the cheap route. Replace the wheel cylinders when you swap out the shoes, for $10 each it's cheap insurance. My reasoning is that you usually get water and corrosion in the cylinders, and when you replace the shoes you push the piston back into a corroded area of the cylinder. It will probably fail soon. Purge your brake lines. First suck the remaining fluid out of the m/c, then refill and bleed until you get clear fluid at each wheel. Also, be sure to get your drums turned.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 07:08 PM   #3
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Also riveted shoes not bonded.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
casey

I've used both riveted and bonded had no trouble with either, whats the advantage to riveted?, I don't do it but they recommend you put all new hardware on your new brake shoes when you change them, just check the hardware on yours, to see if it looks to be in good shape
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Sometimes a bonded brake lining will come loose from the shoe, not often but why take the chance.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:36 PM   #6
casey

thanks, I see your point
Old 09-04-2003, 11:53 PM   #7
gman

What type of brake fluid should I use.......dot 3? Are Raybestos shoes the best?
Old 09-05-2003, 12:32 AM   #8
68 Stepside
huh?

68 Suburban has praise dyno brakes on his burb, they're kevlar linings, and they stop on a dime. They don't wear out quickly like regular shoes either, but they're very pricey.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 01:33 AM   #9
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

On bonded vs. riveted, It's been so long since I knew of a bonded shoe coming apart that I've been using them. Once you've had to replace a drum due to rivet wear, you'll want to switch, too.

As for shoe brands, I have always purchased Wagner whenever possible. You just have to go with what's available. Most companies make different grades of shoes, talk to the guys at your local mom & pop parts store about which ones to get. On the kevlar shoes, they are supposed to be excellent, especially if your brakes are marginal. I will probably put them on my 52 when I restore it. http://www.praisedynobrake.com/

Brake fluid choice depends on a lot. For a daily driver most stick with DOT3, but it absorbs water and needs flushed every two years. If you are willing to replace all rubber parts, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and hoses (you probably need to considering the age of your truck), consider using DOT5, which is a silicon base fluid. http://www.fordfestiva.com/service/d...kefluid101.htm

Old 09-05-2003, 07:53 AM   #10
MOTHERTRUCKERS

A board member here had a bonded shoe come apart earlier this year for some reason. I agree with rivets tearing up drums but if you check the brakes routinely for wear......LOL. I know most don't think about brakes until they have a problem.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:23 AM   #11
Canada20

That Praise Dyno stuff looks pretty good. They don't mention anything for 8-lug setups on their website; is it safe to assume that they make kits for 3/4 and 1 ton Chevys?

Greg
Old 09-05-2003, 10:27 AM   #12
palallin

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred T
Replace the wheel cylinders when you swap out the shoes, for $10 each it's cheap insurance.
$10? Where?
Old 09-05-2003, 11:47 AM   #13
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I just bought a rear cylinder 2wd at Autozone for $9. Made in Italy, Bendix brand on package. I hate doing business there, but my mom & pop shop is closed on Sundays.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:15 PM   #14
casey

very intersting

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred T
On bonded vs. riveted, It's been so long since I knew of a bonded shoe coming apart that I've been using them. Once you've had to replace a drum due to rivet wear, you'll want to switch, too.

As for shoe brands, I have always purchased Wagner whenever possible. You just have to go with what's available. Most companies make different grades of shoes, talk to the guys at your local mom & pop parts store about which ones to get. On the kevlar shoes, they are supposed to be excellent, especially if your brakes are marginal. I will probably put them on my 52 when I restore it. http://www.praisedynobrake.com/

Brake fluid choice depends on a lot. For a daily driver most stick with DOT3, but it absorbs water and needs flushed every two years. If you are willing to replace all rubber parts, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and hoses (you probably need to considering the age of your truck), consider using DOT5, which is a silicon base fluid. http://www.fordfestiva.com/service/d...kefluid101.htm
If I read that right it sounded like the guy didn't really recommend that dot5, sounds like the dot4 is the one for daily drivers.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:41 PM   #15
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Quote:
If I read that right it sounded like the guy didn't really recommend that dot5, sounds like the dot4 is the one for daily drivers.
You read it right. Not everyone agrees with him on dot5, some people swear by the stuff. I'm still using dot3, but will probably change when I do my next flush. Dot 4 is now available most anywhere now, it wasn't 2 or 3 years ago. Even with Dot4 it's recommended to flush every 2 years. The manufacturers say every year, but the lawyers have everyone running scared nowadays.

Old 09-06-2003, 11:24 PM   #16
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I agree that DOT 5 is for show cars only. The stuff will still let water in the system and corrode your lines and stuff. I've seen it first hand whn I was in the army. (we used the crap in all wheel vehicles)
Here is another site that goes a little more into depth about brake fluids. http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html
The carbon fiber shoes ARE made for the 3/4 ton trucks. I know this for a fact. I'll asume one ton trucks too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote