The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2003, 09:10 AM   #1
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Radiator Questions

Well, I pulled into a parking spot at Wal-mart yesterday, and when I got out I could hear a whistling sound coming from the front end. Long story short, I found the leak in my cooling system finally.

The questions I have are:

1) Would a pin-hole cause the truck to run hot simply because the pressure is bleeding off? Obviously it would run hot once the coolant level got low, but what about when the level was fine?

2) If I head out to the local pick&pull, what should I look for to try and get a 4 core radiator? If I can find one, what all do I need to pull to install it in place of my current 2 or 3 core radiator?

Thanks for your help.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 09:20 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

More than likely your radiator tubes are plugged and that will cause overheating.

I am very leary of used radiators. If you need to go in that direction because of cost, at least get it flow tested and checked before installing. Good used radiators are hard to come by unless you get one with a known history.

Chances of getting a good used 4 core radiator to fit our trucks is slim but if you do find one you will want to get the upper radiator
mounts and the lower mounts.

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 09:41 AM   #3
truckster

I agree. It's not likely the pinhole would make your engine run hot. A 4-core Modine radiator (stock-type replacement) runs about $185 and would be worth the money to protect your engine.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:52 PM   #4
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Thanks

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:12 PM   #5
tom hand
CCRider

If your cooling was boarderline to start with...losing the pressure could make it overheat. The pressure is there to increase the temperture at which water boils...once its starts boiling, you now have air flowing with the coolant, which heats it up more. When looking for a used radiator, don't forget 73-87 they are a bolt-in with a 73 up bottom hose
Old 09-05-2003, 05:37 PM   #6
stelth2002
Young Gun wth Fast Inline

Ive ran a radiator that had a hole in it before, I used it quite a bit with no problem. Someone in my family owns a radiator shop, he said put pepper in it and it will be better than any filler ****. I did and it made it last the summer in my desert truck. Thats all i wanted. He fixed it after that. But I would NEVER put a used radiator in when a new one is possible. Ive seen what they look like and i spent 100 and got a really good HD one for mine from my uncle that would normally run 300. Goto the shops and see, the markup is high, so dicker some if you need. But i see no reason that it would run too hot with a pin hole. If i were you i would get a new one no doubt, or get yours rebuilt. JT
Old 09-06-2003, 11:31 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

How can you ru a 73-87 rad? The lower hose outlet comes straight out into the frame.
I used one in mine, but I had a shop cut off the 73-87 lower outlet and braze on a 67 - 72 one.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote