The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
BrookelynnGreen

Putting on a LH gas tank

My truck must have been equiped for a dual gas tank setup. Right next to the ash tray is the switch for LH or RH tanks, the bed panels have opening for LH & RH tanks, currently use the RH tank, but when I bought the truck it didn't have a LH tank. So I went to the salvage and bought a LH tank. What I'm wondering is if I hook up the three hoses to my three hole sending unit, and bolt on the LH tank, do I have to take my truck bed off to install the tank properly??? AND also, right by my driver side headlight is a black cylinder thing that I think is suppose to be connected to my gas tanks. It currently has 1 maybe 2 hoses hooked up to it, and I believe it has 4 outlets. Do I need to hook all the outlets up? Can someone explain to me exactly how I'm suppose to do it bevause I really want my LH tank to work... Thanks in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
BigBlocksRule

Re: Putting on a LH gas tank

Check to see if all the switches/valves are still in place under the passenger side of the back of the cab. Without those, you'll have a nightmare of a time with wiring and plumbing.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
BrookelynnGreen

Can you please tell me what switches and valves ill be looking for? Specifically the names, so I can look them up to see what to look for so I can know what to look for? Please
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

go to autozone.com and see if they can show you a picture of the gas tank switchover valve for your year truck.. IIRC you hang your new tank then you run your hoses to that.. If your truck was converted you will prolly have to splice in the new hoses... there are other threads on here with the sizes and all

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
BigBlocksRule

I snagged everything from an '87...tanks, switch, wiring, all of it. The truck I'm working on is an '85 single cab dually with dual tanks. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult or cost too much beer for the helping friends!!!
The tank switch/valve is what you're looking for, sorry I can't help you with a better name.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Desert1957

I just posted this picture in another thread this morning...LOL her you go.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
hatzie

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...13&postcount=7

Here's the parts manual Illustration and wiring diagram I posted in another thread.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
rwhit57

If you still have the crossover valve, just hook everything back according to the diagram. It is a whole lot easier with the bed out of the way. I just changed mine, I removed the rear wheels, set the truck on jack stands and slid the bed back till the fender braces were against the hubs, this gave me enough room to easily get to the hoses on top of the tank and the rear mounting bolts. That round canister is a charcoal canister to collect vent fumes, part of emission, you don't have to use it.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
BrookelynnGreen

On the LH sending unit, the tab that holds the ground wire fell off, where on the sending unit can I put a ground, and would I need to solder or weld a new tab on? Or what?
Posted via Mobile Device