The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
chevytroy

boxing in the frame rails

I have a 51 1/2 ton im working on. The first task on the frame is to box it in. my question is how to weld it. Im going to MIG it with my lincoln 255c. Im capable of spray tranfer but it can only be done in the flat and horizontal position. Short circuit can be done in all positions but does it have enough penetration the frame rails and boxing plates i made are 1/8". If any one has any insight or experience it would be greatly appreciated. I cant find any info on it.
chevytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: boxing in the frame rails

I am not sure but isn't a Lincoln 225 C an arc welder not a mig. If it i you can use it with all position welding rod use short welds, jump from side to with an inch or two welds. There is plenty of penetration with arc welder. I dont know what spray transfer is you got me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytroy View Post
I have a 51 1/2 ton im working on. The first task on the frame is to box it in. my question is how to weld it. Im going to MIG it with my lincoln 255c. Im capable of spray tranfer but it can only be done in the flat and horizontal position. Short circuit can be done in all positions but does it have enough penetration the frame rails and boxing plates i made are 1/8". If any one has any insight or experience it would be greatly appreciated. I cant find any info on it.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
chevytroy

Its a lincoln 255c power mig the new model is the 256. spray transfer is where the wire actually will spray at the arc it puts out alot of metal and real deep penetration with smooth flat beads. short circuit the wire makes contact with work melts and breaks off about 100 times a second. what it is that im not sure of is spray may be too hot, and im not sure if short circuit has enough penetration I waslooking to see how everyone else does it. Im school right now for welding and I asked the Instructor the same question spray was his answer but I would have to rotate the frame upside down which it could be done ill have to build an auto rotisserie. but I dont see everyone going to this extreme. If I had a TIG at home it would be no question I would tig it all. thats my next toy but not for a long while.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Rude Dude

Here is a topic on ur welder I would use it plenty strong for boxing

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...-Power-Mig-255

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytroy View Post
Its a lincoln 255c power mig the new model is the 256. spray transfer is where the wire actually will spray at the arc it puts out alot of metal and real deep penetration with smooth flat beads. short circuit the wire makes contact with work melts and breaks off about 100 times a second. what it is that im not sure of is spray may be too hot, and im not sure if short circuit has enough penetration I waslooking to see how everyone else does it. Im school right now for welding and I asked the Instructor the same question spray was his answer but I would have to rotate the frame upside down which it could be done ill have to build an auto rotisserie. but I dont see everyone going to this extreme. If I had a TIG at home it would be no question I would tig it all. thats my next toy but not for a long while.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
parkwood

Learn something new everyday........ never heard of spray welding, but sounds good... I've done all my welding with what you call short circuit or wire touching the metal you're welding and never had a problem... just make sure your heat and wire feed are set right and you're off to the races...you still might want to built something to turn the frame with, not easy welding upside down.. two engine stands work great...
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Rude Dude

You weld some scrape 1/8 stock and have it looked at at certified welding shop for good penetration
Old 02-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
chevytroy

Thanks guys for the info. its the comfort factor of knowing my weld will take the beating of the road.