The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
sir_talk_alot

Need help with accessory hole probs

so im looking at beefing my 350 up abit. its got average heads on it. i have a/c and the alt bolted to my heads. im looking for some double humps now to bump some power, but most of them dont have accessory holes and id like to have my a/c system on my truck. any suggestions? and who all has had experience with the smallest of the thumpr cam from comp? im looking for double humps, new springs, thumpr cam, i have an aluminum intake, and prob a 650-750 carb, whats the hp roughly? and anyone with the small thumper and 58cc 305 ho heads? thanks, mike

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Re: Need help with accessory hole probs

Im running the 279 thumr with vortec heads. I have a vodoo cam that should be here tomorow sometime to swap it out. Its been broken in and always changed with the zinc VR1. When I pull it i'll keep the lifters in order so someone can use it. If your interested i'll cut you a great deal when I get it pulled (soon? )

If I were you id shoot for something more performance oriented..

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
rsavage

I have not done it personally, but it is my understanding that accessory holes can be drilled and tapped by a machine shop. You might be better off buying some complete performance heads through Summit for example. You might end up cheaper than buying the double hump heads and then having the machine work done on both the accessory holes and valves. Another choice might be Vortec heads but you will need to have an intake that is made to fit the vortecs. I sold a set of double humps a couple of years ago for just this reason.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I agree with the aftermarket heads.The choices are wide and you can probably buy a set for just about what a set of heads and machine work will cost you.Check with the head co and see what will work well for your situaton.You might also look at the Edelbrock kits that have cam,heads intake and carb.They're matched to give X HP for the application.You could probably sell the stuff you have to help offset the cost.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
sir_talk_alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Im running the 279 thumr with vortec heads. I have a vodoo cam that should be here tomorow sometime to swap it out. Its been broken in and always changed with the zinc VR1. When I pull it i'll keep the lifters in order so someone can use it. If your interested i'll cut you a great deal when I get it pulled (soon? )

If I were you id shoot for something more performance oriented..
thats the smallest of the thumpers, and lifters? yea def interested. pm me your price and ill think about it. summit has the thumper for 139 and i was gonna use my existing lifters. does it matter that it has been used with vortec heads or will they drop in my old block just fine? and how many miles have been put on it? hyd flat tappet?

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s

Last edited by sir_talk_alot; 02-08-2012 at 11:04 AM.
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote