The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
mud.man.rj

mud/street tire.

Ok on tires I am not going to mudrace my 71 Gmc with a Big block and 6" lift and 35" SSR radials but I still want to use and abuse it offroad some. So the SSR Radials on it are new at 35" but only a 12.50 which I don't like any suggestions as want to go with a 14.50 wide but not sure if I should stay with the SSR Swamper radial or switch to the new Pitbull Rockers, anyone know anything about them, any good for all around, also like Thornbirds for looks, but heard to stay away. I have my SSR's sold, so thinking....Help.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Re: mud/street tire.

Check on Pirate 4x4, lots of guys running them. Also try some Google searches, that's how I find most of my tire info.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
ghettoluxury

The Pitbull rockers are a nice tire. My buddy Doug runs them on all 4 of his trucks and loves them. Dave also has 40" rockers on his stepside and says they are way better than his old boggers.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
odog

I had thornbirds on my Bronco about 10 years ago. I loved them. I would go and play in the mud, sand, and snow in winter. I loved the big lugs on the sidewalls, they helped a lot in ruts. When I started college in Montana I would drive back and forth (350 miles one way) 5 times a year, plus all the driving up there. I did this for three years before they were too blad to keep. I would say I got about 25000 to 30000 miles out of them, a lot for a swamper. Over all, I liked them, they were loud and obnoxious, kinda like my bronco. I would like to get another set for my 69 chevy, someday.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
mud.man.rj

From what I can gather hear and online I think I will go with the Thornbirds as will be putting a few highway miles on in the future. I think the Pitbulls may wear to fast but as odog mentioned the Thornbirds wear good for travel and I can go off road some at least piss around a bit. The 35/14.50's should look a lot better than the 35/12.50's anyway and killer sidewalls compared to the Swamper SSR radials.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
wilkin250r

I've been looking at a lot of 35 and 38 inch tires recently. The construction of the tire plays a significant role in it's road manners, offroad manners, and longevity.

Radial tires are much better for street use, Bias-Ply construction is better for offroad. A bias-ply tire will move and flex much better, giving you better traction when you air down your tires for offroad, but that same flex causes them to wear out faster on the street, and allows them to develop flat spots and balance problems when sitting for extended periods of time. A radial tire will generally give you at least twice the number of miles on the road before they wear out.

In the pitbull tires, I'm pretty sure everything in a Radial tire is only 12.5 inches wide (this is from memory), if you want a wider tire, you're looking at a bias-ply construction.

One of your first thoughts should probably be what is more important, offroad mannerisms, or on-road mannerisms. Like I said, bias-ply is better for offroad, but you often suffer balance and rough riding due to flat spots, as well as longevity. Radial tires limit your options, but they have much better road manners and last significantly longer.

The SSR used to be available in a 35 x 14.5, but one of the subcontractors for Interco Tire went out of business. They have started making several sizes of the SSR again, but that particular one hasn't made the list yet.
wilkin250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
mud.man.rj

I know what you mean on the bias to radial, the radials now are great but as you stated no 14.50 SSR right now and I am used to running Boggers on most of my trucks so bias is fine and I don't think I will travel to much with the 525hp 454 in the truck but some here and there, I still think the Pitbull would outperform the Thornbird is almost everything but it kind of comes down to looks and most of the time I drive my new work truck so hopefully I make a good enough choice with the T.birds at least they will look cool, haha.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #8
wilkin250r

There's a company called National Tire & Wheel ( www.ntwonline.com ) that seems to have more information about Interco Tires than any others I've found. They seem to specialize in big offroad tires, and it was the first place I found availability for new runs of SSR tire sizes when Interco was forced to find a new manufacturer.

The Super Swamper website still lists a 35x14.5 size for the SSR, and National Tire & Wheel has banners and messages posted all over the place about contacting them for availability of different tire sizes. They just might be big enough/have enough juice to get the SSR in the size you want.

I never saw what size rims you're putting these on...
wilkin250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Mudder

I have always like the TSL/SX Swamper. I flound that with my truck they drives a lot better with less air. 20-22 lbs.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
mud.man.rj

Just got to talk to a buddy @ North Shore Off Road in B.C. Canada, West coast, I'm in the middle but usually buy from them and no problem on the SSR 14.50 so now it comes down to a choice, there is a price jump from $389 for the SSR 12.50 I have (also same on the 14.50 Thornbird) to $540 for the 14.50 SSR radial. So I guess it is a matter of what I can get away with also, don't want to sleep in the truck, I like it but not quite that much. I sold my SSR 12.50 for $325 a tire so almost pay for the Thornbirds so think I will go with them because always need money for something else again and again. The thing is I build so many big trucks for others I could move them fairly easily if I am not happy with them, not like I use the truck very often, so wish me luck on the T.birds.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

I have heard decent stuff about the thornbirds the defiantly last longer then other big tires if your running them on some pavement. They do look pretty sweet as well haha! I had a few buddies who ran them and liked them they didn't do as good as the Boggers or Tsls but still did pretty damn good. Good luck on the new tires
Posted via Mobile Device
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Chevymaniac

When you get those tires installed remember to post some pics up. Plus let us know how they perform on and off the road. Are they a radial or bais ply tire?
Chevymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
mud.man.rj

Cool Re: mud/street tire.

Studied the hell right out of my brain on tires and made more calls and other sites, so the Thornbirds are cool but not so great on ice and being I live up North in Canada where most of the months we have so kind of ice well I changed my mind to something great all year around so priced out some Pitbull rockers 35/14.50/15 and same price @ around $395 a tire and really crazy pattern so going to order them as soon as we get back from Mexico in 2 weeks, my truck doors can wait, i want tires and MT Classic lock rims first, so will post pictures for sure, can't wait.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
mud.man.rj

Here is a pic if this works of the tire, should rock.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #15
Chevymaniac

Tires look good, but need some more pics of rims. What size of rim did you go with and where did you order your wheel and tire combo?
Chevymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
mud.man.rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevymaniac View Post
Tires look good, but need some more pics of rims. What size of rim did you go with and where did you order your wheel and tire combo?
I order my tires and rims from North Shore Off Road in B.C. Canada, good prices on both and free installation, shipping cost me $100 half way across Canada. The rims are Mickey Thompson Classic Lock, looks like a bead lock and going with 10" rim, at least thats what they recomend, kind of wanted a 12" but not sure, would look better with such a wide tire like the 14.50. Haven't ordered yet but will when we come back from our Mexico trip in a couple of weeks. Can't hardly wait.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
mud.man.rj

Here is apicture of the rims.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
ghettoluxury

Good choice, you will love them.

Here is Doug's crew cab with SIX 35x14.5x15's

Last edited by ghettoluxury; 02-10-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
mud.man.rj

Wow thanks for the pic's, pumped now for sure, what size rim is Doug running a 10" or 12", looks 12" in pic, want to be set up on mine just right, like the awesome pic's you sent, cool.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #20
ghettoluxury

Fronts are 12, rears are 10.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #21
mud.man.rj

Thanks, just wasn't sure what I should run on all four corners of my truck, the 12's look nicer for all around. Anyone else have any coments on size.