The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
hartishart

Aftermarket Washer Pump Wiring

Hi All,

Kind of new to this forum, but I love it already!

The PO of my 82 GMC Pickup decided that since the washer pump on the motor was such a piece of junk that he just didn't need to replace it with a pump at all when he finally replaced the wiper motor!

I already purchased an aftermarket pump, but I am confused as to the wiring. It looks like the original motor had three different wire harnesses connected to it. It has a harness with three wires on the lower part of the motor, and one with two wires at the top of the motor and then a harness just hanging all by it's lonesome that appears to have been part of the original motor. I'm guessing that is the washer pump harness?? It has a yellow wire and a red wire going to it. I do know the yellow wire is "live" with the ignition switch on...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Anybody run into this? Any help is greatly appreciated!
hartishart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Aftermarket Washer Pump Wiring

Hi hartishart,

Yes, the wiper motor has 3 plugs. And you're probably right about that plug that's just hanging there being for the washer pump.

One of the wires (as you've discovered) is live with the ignition switch on. The other wire should be connected to the wiper switch. The switch grounds that wire (to complete the circuit) when the washer button is pushed.

The factory washer pump was gear driven off the wiper motor and used an electric solenoid to engage the drive mechanism. But you can hook those two wires that used to go to the stock washer solenoid directly to an aftermarket electric washer pump.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
hartishart

Re: Aftermarket Washer Pump Wiring

Hey Thanks for the reply!

I went out to the garage today, and that lonesome harness did turn out to be the washer harness!

Now I just have buyers remorse for buying such a cruddy aftermarket washer pump! Wired it up, primed it, and it pumped fluid about 7 times before it stopped working well. I guess I'm gonna pay a visit to the pick n pull and grab a good one from a junker. At least now I know how to wire it!

(BTW, that RED Wire that I mentioned was actually pink, I guess age changed it's color)

Thanks Again!
hartishart is offline   Reply With Quote