The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Bluebomb85

Intake manifold cleaning

Hey yo . I just had my old Rochester carb and intake manifold taken off off my 305ci chevy. 1985 . Would like to know what is the best way to clean the intake manifold so I caould reuse it in the future? As much detail as possible would be nice. Oh ya alo I'll post pics of the new carb and intake all polished looks great no more smog pump bs for my Chevy!
Bluebomb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Intake manifold cleaning

if you dont have a parts cleaner id get an old brush and some gunk or easy off and spray it down scrub the heavy grease spots and then hose it off dry it and call it good

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Bluebomb85

sweet! Thankyou so much! Im on it first thing!
Bluebomb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Wrecked1982

id say dont waste time to clean it just store it on a shelf ...it will probably end up as an anchor if you like fishing
Wrecked1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

I used some acid type aluminum wheel cleaner that I bought at Autozone. Its not up front so you have to ask for it. Works awesome just rinse it good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
1LowToy

If it's a cast iron intake have it hot tanked and bead blasted. Special attention to the exhaust crossover that goes under the carb. If it has a steal plate under the carb on bottom of the intake do not bead or sand blast and get sand under it as it will surely float back into the crankcase.

Side note: Older mopar intakes the exhaust crossover clogged up with carbon and would run like crap. The exhaust crossover warmed the intake air and vaporized the gasses coming from the carb. No gas vapor = poor combustion. Dads mopar did this. Clogged best was 75 mph floored and cutting out. Cleaned intake an no other adjustments 115 mph floored without skippin a beat, 24 mpg hwy.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
weider1717

Do not bead blast it i've restored 2 vintage corvettes with my dad a 58 and a 68 and I learned if you glass bead it the finish will never be the same.

what you want to do is find someone with a tumbler and have it tumbled that will give you a original cast finish it'll be PERFECT. However if yours is like my 87 its painted black lol.
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Axle

What worked for me:
Big old steel wash tub, fill with hot water to cover manifold, toss in a handfull or two of arm & hammer laundry detergent (cuts grease better than the usual suspects), mix up, soak manifold for a couple hours, add some more hot water and scrub it with a firm brush. Rinse off with hot water and hit it with the hose & let it dry. Comes out clean as a whistle and ready for paint.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote